Extended balcony...side or back of ship????

Rocky2006

Hi everyone!

Can anyone tell me which extended balcony is more preferred?

I was hoping to get one on the back of the ship (aft?)

Then I heard something about garbage and soot on the balconies...

can anyone share their experience? positive or negative...

This is for the Miracle...

We have had aft balconies 3 times and have them again for our upcoming Triumph cruise in Oct. The aft balconies do get alot of sun, but that is why I am headed to the Caribbean for. So for me that is a plus. I would just like to comment about garbage being tossed, although I have never had that problem also no soot, I am sure there is always one idiot or two on a cruise that would find this OK. I really don't think it is a major issue, at least it hasn't been for us. Love the aft.

A previous poster is right about the sun. Direct sun all day, and on the deck you can't get away from it. Also the sun beat into the room, made it so hot the air couldn't keep up. We ended up closing the drapes during the day to help keep the room cool. For those who are use to that much heat it probably wouldn't bother them. For us, yikes, too much! We also didn't like the non-privacy issue (from above). The view was great! Did have some garbage issues, nothing to whine about. But, we know use balconies starboard or port. Whatever you pick, enjoy!

In June DH and myself had extended balcony Port side forward, Cabin 5116 o n the Miracle..we loved it. Depending on what direction we were sailing, either sun in the am or afternoon, so it was not hot all day..never had an aft balcony, so could not offer any info on that..I hear told that corner aft balconies offer more protection from the sun though. Extended balconies rule!

I had aft ext balcony on Spirit and friends had side ext balcony. Comparing both:

Aft:

View was amazing. See the water below and the wake of the ship.

Noisy when moving when out on the balcony. In the room was totally quiet but sounded like a waterfall when outside.

Sunny depending on time of day & direction traveling although I had no trouble with AC keeping room cool. My room was actually freezing and I spent a lot of time under covers during day.

Black soot from smokestacks - just put a towel down on chair before sitting

privacy is only an issue when you are on the railing. People from above can look down at you when you are against the railing.

Railing was slanted so you really didn't get to use the entire space on the deck. Hard to explain but side balcony appeared more spacious.

Side:

Lifeboats blocked the view below. Hard to see the water except looking out.

Rail was straight so balcony seemed larger.

more privacy sort of. Only people next to you if peeking around the divider but people from regular balcony on the end could look around and see all the side balconies so I personally wouldn't be planning any balcony fun if you know what I mean unless you want to be the star of the show.

1000685_itA_040sml.jpg.18486c3f61aa9b42370408004b78f115.jpg

1000692_itA_035sml.jpg.cbb2c9e684a0a0d907e255529966227e.jpg

I had aft ext balcony on Spirit and friends had side ext balcony. Comparing both:

Aft:

View was amazing. See the water below and the wake of the ship.

Noisy when moving when out on the balcony. In the room was totally quiet but sounded like a waterfall when outside.

Sunny depending on time of day & direction traveling although I had no trouble with AC keeping room cool. My room was actually freezing and I spent a lot of time under covers during day.

Black soot from smokestacks - just put a towel down on chair before sitting

privacy is only an issue when you are on the railing. People from above can look down at you when you are against the railing.

Railing was slanted so you really didn't get to use the entire space on the deck. Hard to explain but side balcony appeared more spacious.

Side:

Lifeboats blocked the view below. Hard to see the water except looking out.

Rail was straight so balcony seemed larger.

more privacy sort of. Only people next to you if peeking around the divider but people from regular balcony on the end could look around and see all the side balconies so I personally wouldn't be planning any balcony fun if you know what I mean unless you want to be the star of the show.

There are side extended balconies and there are side extended balconies. On that class of ship (Spirit, Pride, Legend, Miracle) forward on the Upper deck there are extended balconies that are not above lifeboats, and not stuck in a "cove" for others to look in on. :)

SPUPPER2.GIF

We had our first wrap-around aft cabin (8448) on the Valor in June - absolutely loved it! So much that we've booked the same cabin for next year.

Beautiful views, and plenty of sun. The only time we saw our 'next-door neighbors' was when we were leaving ports (and Miami) and leaning over (slightly) to see the view.

Archived