Family Review - Disney World, Disney Wonder and Sea World

crusinmama06

Well this is going to be a looonnng review so let's do it in sections.

I had to create a video for my daughter to return to school with - it was part of her homework for missing school...lol...so you can see the entire trip in a 4 minute video including the "Big Surprise"

http://www.4shared.com/file/63349254/d1ffeeb9/DisVideo08.html

PRE-PRE CRUISE

September 5th - Baltimore, Maryland

We were set to fly out on the 6th at 7am so we drove to Baltimore and stayed at the Four Points Sheraton at Baltimore Internation. We chose the "Parking option" which allowed us to park the car at the hotel for our entire trip. We took a 3 minute (free) shuttle from the hotel to the airport.

Airline - Airtran Direct flight to Orlando - NO problems

Transport from MCO to Wilderness Lodge - Disney's Magical Express (free service for staying at a Disney resort) - Large bus. They play a tour video on the bus talking about WDW. Takes about 40 minutes to get to resort.

Bags are on the way to the hotel. We do not need to laod them onto the bus. Make sure you pack what you will need at the hotel to get by for a few hours (swim suits, sunscreen, sandals, shorts)

PRE-CRUISE

September 6th - September 11 - Walt Disney World

Disney Wilderness Lodge - Courtyard View

We arrive at 10am at Disney's Wilderness Lodge. We have stayed here a few times in the past. This time our room is not ready. They hand me a card and tell me to call the number every 30 minutes (if I want) to see if the room is ready. Our Key to the World Cards (Disney Room Key and Cashless Card system) is already activated and ready to use.

We check some of our things into their storage (didn't want to take my laptop to the pool).

We head to the pool. Towels are provided. The pool is gorgeous, which we knew. And heated.

017.jpg

015.jpg

We did get the Free Disney meal plan (usually available in September) so we were able to use that until we ran out, which we did run out.

At this resort - you can get to Magic Kingdom or to the Monorail transportaion center by boat. Animal Kingdom, the waterparks, Hollywood Studios and Downtown Disney by bus - disney bus stops are right outside the door.

The boat is a nice way to go. One boat does go to Contemporary where you can hop on the monorail.

025.jpg

We did have Hopper Passes - which for my family is the only way to go. We don't want to stay at one park each day. So we may have breakfast in one and then head to another later.

We scheduled Character meals for each day - the meals we did

Cinderella Royal Table Breakfast - it is held on the 2nd floor of Cindy's castle in Magic Kingdom. Your meal comes with an 8x10 and a folder. The kids are given magic wands and a wishing star. This is the hardest reservation to get at Disney - you MUST call 180 days out to get a reservation. The princess comes from table to table. Cinderella was in the reception area (for the 8x10 photos), then there was Belle, Mary Poppins, Aurora and Snow White.

031.jpg

Pooh & Friends - Crystal Palace - Magic Kingdom

Our characters were Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eyeore (in the past we also had rabbit). The kids have a parade with the characters around the dining room.

114.jpg

Lilo & Stich Ohana Breakfast - Polynesian Resort

This was an AWESOME meal. We had never done this one before and were pleasantly surprised. The characters were Lilo, Stitch, Hawaiian Mickey and Hawaiian Pluto

045.jpg

Chef Mickey - Contemporary

This is a buffet dinner. They have a kids bar too. Characters are Mickey, Goofy, Minnie, Chip & Dale or Pluto

Fantasmic VIP Package - Hollywood Studios

Because I had waited a little to long to book this package (140 days out), we couldn't get Mama Melrose which we knew was awesome. We instead got Hollywood & Vine. It was a buffet - one that I would not do again. But the "VIP Package" which is a free add on gave us 4 VIP passes to see Fanatsmic. No standing in line. We met at a side door and were ushered right up front into the VIP) seating area.

We did all the parks, Downtown Disney and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

If anyone has any specific park questions, let me know. When I come back later I will start the review from the end of our resort stay on...to be continued....

Great review of WDW. Never did Princess breakfast (only have DS), but the other hardest thing to book is the Illuminations cruise at EPCOT. Another one to be on the phone no later than 8:59:59 180 days out. Looks like a great time had by all. No pics of you and DH? We're thinkin about a Wonder 7 day next October, so I'm looking forward to your review of that. Gabriella didn't look quite as excited about the surprise as your oldest?

Michelle,

You never disappoint!!

I have been waiting not so patiently for your review. Definately worth the wait. Video was a surprise bonus- great footage.

The girls are adorable.

I don't think we say it enough but thank you for your hard work, time and energy. The help you provide here is always outstanding!! :) :) :) :)

Okay-enough with the niceness get back to the review so I can take a mental vacation with your family!!!!!

Cruise DAY 1

September 11, Thursday

Noon - Driver from Florida Towncar Service picked us up to take us to the port (1 way is $125, round trip from resort to port is $200)

Suprise (see video)

12:45pm - Arrive at port. The porters verify that we have kept everything we needed with us because the bags would not be delivered until after 3pm. (keep swimwear, sun block, valuables/electronics)

1pm - Through security and on our way upstairs to be checked in to the terminal. There were 2 lines, one for Cataway Club (at least one Disney cruise) and one for those on their first Disney Cruise. Both lines were the same in length.

Check in was smooth and painless. We were given CC lanyards and in our cabin there was a Castaway Club beach bag, insulated water bottles, a backpack, a notebook, pens, pencil bag for us and the girls.

The kids camp counselors were waiting in the terminal to register the kids. We had pre-resgistered them online.So they gave them braclets and we were on our way.

Quick embarkation photo. And then the annoucement - "Welcome Home to the Bridges Family" (they announce everyone's name when you board)

By 1:15 we were onboard and our cabin was ready.

Cat 6 - Deck 6 - Balcony Cabin 6540 with convertible couch and an upper

046.jpg

The upper does have a small rail. But my 8 year old was a little nervous about it.

029.jpg

The bathrooms are called a "split bathroom" - there is a toilet and sink in one - then the bathtub/shower and sink in the other.

033.jpg

032.jpg

I made the kids stand on the balcony to show the "height of the balcony rails"....lol. You know how everyone asks. So yes, the rails are high and there is plexiglass there.

039.jpg

So we hung up our "Fish Extender", it is something that the Dis Boards do, kind of like our CC mix n mingle, the Dissers meet and keep a list of other cabins with Dissers. They bring gifts to put in your "Fish Extender". So you will see Fish Extenders and specialized magnets on the doors. I got so much stuff, I had to buy an extra roll away bag to bring it home {eek}

003.jpg

4pm - Mandatory Muster Drill - It was actually the easiest Muster drill ever. I don't know why but it seemed like they kept it short and sweet.

Then it was time to Party - Sailaway Party

011.jpg

When the characters come out, chaos begins...lol. See how many adults are clammering to get to the front to take pictures of the characters.

010.jpg

But after the characters leave, the kids are able to claim the stage.

016.jpg

Main seating dinner was at 5:45pm. Then the show is at 8:15. The kids club opens at 6pm on the first night.

There are 3 dining rooms that you rotate through - Animator's Palate (walls turn from Black/White to color by the end of the meal), Tritons and Parrot Cay. Your wait staff follows you each night. And will be there for your final breakfast.

The food was good. Not exceptional. But it was still very good. Our assistant server (Candace) was wonderful with the kids. When they asked for ketchup, she poured a Mickey face onto the plate. The next night she poured them a Minnie.

I was told NO for the first time ever on a cruise. :eek: My youngest wanted one of the entrees off of the adult menu (the gnocci) and the server said "No, the plate is a large one"...so I said "Can you make it smaller?" and he said "No, the portions are pre-cut and made for the adults"...so I told him to just bring me the gnocci and she could eat off of my plate. Yes, he looked at me like I grew two heads...lol. Then the final night there was Rigatoni on the menu. Once again, I asked for a side of rigatoni, sorry he said, we can't. The plates are already done. So I told him, fine, bring me 2 entrees...lol. :p I figured the kids would eat the rigatoni with me and they did.

There was only one night that they offered pasta on the kids menu, that was the last night. My kids LOVE their pasta, so they were disappointed. And on other cruises, they were able to get pasta every night if they wanted, not on this cruise.

The food places outside the DR close down rather early. The latest is Pinoccio's Pizza which is open till midnight. The others close at 11pm or earlier.

I have the kid menus and I will scan them in tomorrow when I continue this review....it's someone's bedtime. ;)

Yeah! We LOVE the Mickey-Mouse boat in our family. Thanks for sharing your review.

My favorite thing to do with the kids as we approach the port....play "Who Can Spot the Ship First?" Inevitably, neither of the kids can see those huge Mickey themed smoke stacks in the horizon and are usually looking the WRONG WAY out of the car window. And, we've been on the Disney cruise multiple times with them, so you'd think by now they would know to look out the LEFT HAND SIDE window. Oh well...they are blondes....

CeleBrat

• Administrators
Looks like the "Wilderness Lodge" in Orlando is the same as the "Grand Californian Hotel" in California.

Other way around, I'm pretty sure. :) But both are based on our National Parks lodges.

Michelle, great posts -- I'm having a great time reading them, given our discussions about "the Mouse's" version of cruising in the past. And I agree with the poster above -- can't believe how much your girls have grown!

POOLS

OK let's just jump right to the pools. This is not going to be good...lol. If you have children with you...the pool is just chaos (except at night and early on PORT days).

The pools are sick! That was the worst part about our cruise, seriously.

The worst part was that it says "NO JUMPING" at the goofy pool. It is just so crammed. Yet some mornic parents kept picking up little Jimmy and Susie, putting them on the side of the pool (right by the No Jumping sign) and saying "Come on, jump in" :rolleyes:

So then my kids were getting jumped on by the kids of the illiterate parents. And parents kept taking their kids in diapers out of the infant water play area and letting them in the Mickey Pool, which had to shut down for cleaning for one whole afternoon.

THIS was the Goofy Pool this past Friday....

118.jpg

ALSO, those same parents can't read this sign at the Mickey Pool (the part in red about no non-potty trained children)....

206.jpg

And they take their kids out of THIS area...where they are allowed to play in diapers

124.jpg

Which has THIS sign...

122.jpg

And they put them in the Mickey Pool, and because of that, the Mickey Pool has to be shut down for cleaning for FOUR HOURS during the afternoon....

115.jpg

Since we missed out on swimming on Friday, we headed back early from Castaway Cay and found the pools nearly desserted. So if you want to swim in the pools, head back early on a Port Day. We got back on the ship at 1pm.

Mickey Pool

177.jpg

Quite Cove Adult Pool

188.jpg

Infant Splash Area

191.jpg

Goofy Pool

183.jpg

And of course, the biggest hit of the day - the slide. The slide is for AGES 4-12, NO height restriction, but there is the age restriction. And it is open limited hours (1pm-6pm on this day) because they have an activity coordinator at both the bottom and the top of the slide.

203.jpg

Michelle:

Thank you for taking the time to write your reviews. We have been cruising for a couple of years now and I always look forward to read your reviews (especially now that we have a little girl). You have help me to plan 2 cruises in the past and you always have great advice. Every time we see pictures of your trips I wish you were my mommy:DHey! you could adopt us !! I am 34 years young, light colored hair and blue eyes (with a few wrinkles around them already). My little girl had dark curly hair, blue eyes and is well behaved. Dada is mean looking but a really sweet guy! Think about it!! lol.

Again, thanks for your wonderful reviews, these memories are priceless.

Neya

Michelle,

I love your review. We are contemplating doing a Disney cruise next year if we can afford it, so this is just great to see first hand. Your girls are beautiful and getting so big. I bet you made their vacation with the "surprise" to think the vacation is over and then wham a Disney cruise! I cant believe they wouldnt bring your girls pasta dishes? I hear cruiselines are trying to cut some costs in the food department maybe that is why. Either that or you just got some off waiters.

Cant wait to hear more of your review.

Julie

On to an Excursion. If you have read my posts in the past about Nassau, you would have read about how much I love Atlantis. This time, however, we changed it up and did the Blackbeard's Cay Stingray & Beach Adventure

Activity Level: Moderate

Duration: 4.5-5 hours

Price: Adult: $49 (ages 10 and up) Child: $39 (ages 3-9)

Ages: 3 And Up

First let me start by saying that this place is the MOST beautiful place ever, better than Castaway Cay {ducking...lol}...better than any beach anywhere. And we've been to alot of beaches.

At 9:45 we were to meet in Diversions (on Wonder) to meet with the Crew Member to take us to Nassau.

By 10am, we got off the ship as a group and met up with Tyrone from the Stingray Tour. A short walk through the port building and out the other side to the boat.

We boarded the boat for a 20 minute ride to Blackbeards Cay (had to turn around for a family who missed the boat but still arrived in about 25-30minutes.

Arriving at the dock....

087.jpg

There are two sides for swimming....the swimming area WITHOUT the stingrays....

093.jpg

...and the stingray enclosure area

106.jpg

They provide the mask, goggles and vest - no charge

104.jpg

And they provide the squid....

108.jpg

to feed these guys (who are debarbed)

099.jpg

You can leave the water as much as you want. The area is shallow. My 4 year old felt safer on dry land. (funny cause SHE was the one who wanted to swim with the rays)

You can come and go as you please during the stingray feeding times. They are every hour. They also serve lunch (included with the excursion) - the choices were hamburger/cheeseburger/pizza, bag of chip and a soft drink.

For $10 you can hold the stingray and get a professional picture taken with it. For $10 you can get your arrival photo of you and your family at the dock. For $17, you can do a combo package and get both.

There are restroom facilities here - very clean.

You can get the kids hair braided and buy some local items set up on a table.

My kids were a little freaked out by the rays. Some other kids had NO problems. They were all happy on the regular beach side. The one with no rays. That is until a Wild ray - complete with barb swam into the area and freaked them ALL out of the water....lol.

We would NO DOUBT book this excursion again. The beach was better than Castaway Cay. It truly had a "desserted island" feel to it.

We loved it!

4pm - Mandatory Muster Drill - It was actually the easiest Muster drill ever. I don't know why but it seemed like they kept it short and sweet.

Then it was time to Party - Sailaway Party

011.jpg

When the characters come out, chaos begins...lol. See how many adults are clammering to get to the front to take pictures of the characters.

010.jpg

But after the characters leave, the kids are able to claim the stage.

016.jpg

Main seating dinner was at 5:45pm. Then the show is at 8:15. The kids club opens at 6pm on the first night.

There are 3 dining rooms that you rotate through - Animator's Palate (walls turn from Black/White to color by the end of the meal), Tritons and Parrot Cay. Your wait staff follows you each night. And will be there for your final breakfast.

The food was good. Not exceptional. But it was still very good. Our assistant server (Candace) was wonderful with the kids. When they asked for ketchup, she poured a Mickey face onto the plate. The next night she poured them a Minnie.

I was told NO for the first time ever on a cruise. :eek: My youngest wanted one of the entrees off of the adult menu (the gnocci) and the server said "No, the plate is a large one"...so I said "Can you make it smaller?" and he said "No, the portions are pre-cut and made for the adults"...so I told him to just bring me the gnocci and she could eat off of my plate. Yes, he looked at me like I grew two heads...lol. Then the final night there was Rigatoni on the menu. Once again, I asked for a side of rigatoni, sorry he said, we can't. The plates are already done. So I told him, fine, bring me 2 entrees...lol. :p I figured the kids would eat the rigatoni with me and they did.

There was only one night that they offered pasta on the kids menu, that was the last night. My kids LOVE their pasta, so they were disappointed. And on other cruises, they were able to get pasta every night if they wanted, not on this cruise.

The food places outside the DR close down rather early. The latest is Pinoccio's Pizza which is open till midnight. The others close at 11pm or earlier.

I have the kid menus and I will scan them in tomorrow when I continue this review....it's someone's bedtime. ;)

Wow, I am shocked they told you no. Maybe you got a less than perfect server. I have heard they are always accomidating and bring you whatever you want, to whoever you want. Good for you for sticking to your guns and ordering it for yourself anways and sharing it. If I come accross that situation, I would do the same thing.

On to an Excursion. If you have read my posts in the past about Nassau, you would have read about how much I love Atlantis. This time, however, we changed it up and did the Blackbeard's Cay Stingray & Beach Adventure

First let me start by saying that this place is the MOST beautiful place ever, better than Castaway Cay {ducking...lol}...better than any beach anywhere. And we've been to alot of beaches.

At 9:45 we were to meet in Diversions (on Wonder) to meet with the Crew Member to take us to Nassau.

By 10am, we got off the ship as a group and met up with Tyrone from the Stingray Tour. A short walk through the port building and out the other side to the boat.

We boarded the boat for a 20 minute ride to Blackbeards Cay (had to turn around for a family who missed the boat but still arrived in about 25-30minutes.

Arriving at the dock....

087.jpg

There are two sides for swimming....the swimming area WITHOUT the stingrays....

093.jpg

...and the stingray enclosure area

106.jpg

They provide the mask, goggles and vest - no charge

104.jpg

And they provide the squid....

108.jpg

to feed these guys (who are debarbed)

099.jpg

You can leave the water as much as you want. The area is shallow. My 4 year old felt safer on dry land. (funny cause SHE was the one who wanted to swim with the rays)

You can come and go as you please during the stingray feeding times. They are every hour. They also serve lunch (included with the excursion) - the choices were hamburger/cheeseburger/pizza, bag of chip and a soft drink.

For $10 you can hold the stingray and get a professional picture taken with it. For $10 you can get your arrival photo of you and your family at the dock. For $17, you can do a combo package and get both.

There are restroom facilities here - very clean.

You can get the kids hair braided and buy some local items set up on a table.

My kids were a little freaked out by the rays. Some other kids had NO problems. They were all happy on the regular beach side. The one with no rays. That is until a Wild ray - complete with barb swam into the area and freaked them ALL out of the water....lol.

We would NO DOUBT book this excursion again. The beach was better than Castaway Cay. It truly had a "desserted island" feel to it.

We loved it!

Thanks for this review. This is the one I am thinking of doing and you made it sound really good and gave some good details.

Wow, I am shocked they told you no. Maybe you got a less than perfect server. I have heard they are always accomidating and bring you whatever you want, to whoever you want. Good for you for sticking to your guns and ordering it for yourself anways and sharing it. If I come accross that situation, I would do the same thing.

I know! :eek: I was amazed that he said no - TWICE! Now, in his defense, he was wonderful in every other way. He asked many times if our dining experience was perfect, if there was anything he could change. We were still VERY happy with the service. I just have never been told no before...lol....well at least, not on a ship.

Thanks for this review. This is the one I am thinking of doing and you made it sound really good and gave some good details.

It was really fun. What you can't see from the above picture is that it is a totally private and SMALL island. The only people there are employees and guests from the ships. When we arrived, about 10 people from Carnival Imagination were there. They left by noon. Then as we were leaving, Carnival Sensation passengers were coming in. There were probably only about 15 people in OUR group. So one island....15-25 people at any given time. It ws NICE.

It was very relaxing.

I just wanted to say Thank You for taking the time to write all of this! I am a Mama to 4 little girls (ages 12, 5 1/2, 4 & 1) and just started cruising this year and have already booked my 3rd - Disney Wonder and we are taking all our girls and 42 of our closest family & friends for my sister's wedding so seeing this and especially the pics, helps so much!

I look forward to reading more! Do you have your own website or blog? You should - your experience is invaluable! I am a DISer too (same SN) - type A, OCD vacation planner - so REALLY thrilled to find this! :D

Thank you very much for your review. It was great. The girls are so cute. The video was great. I am debating if i want to do disney cruise or oasis. I think my little will enjoy disney more. We will see let's see how she does on her first cruise on freedom. Thanks again.

I'm so jealous!!! We were booked for this on our cruise last year but it was canceled due to weather -- that cleared up!!! :( Our only stingray option next time around hasn't gotten great reviews, especially for kids (Half Moon Cay). Glad you had a great time!!

I am so surprised they have an age limit on the slide. My son is 12 and we are pregnant with another little boy - due in January, so I figured our first Disney would be on the horizon within the next few years. I am really surprised that kids older than 12 are not allowed to slide. Most of our cruises have been on ships w/out slides (except NCL Pearl which was a no kid trip). My son has been so looking forward to one of the ships w/ a slide.

Cruisin Mama - since you are such an expert on RCL I'm sure someday in the future I'll have questions for you. We have always wanted to cruise with them, but they always seem much pricier than other lines. Now w/ the new baby we definitely are looking into it for our next trip because of all the water zones on the newer ships.:)

Thank you so much for the great review.

I can't wait until our trip... same period as you.. next year !:eek:

I was wondering... did you book the land / sea package with DCL or did you make your package yourself ?

I was told that you couldn't get the free dining with DCL.

I already booked ours with DCL and took the dining plan (but paid for it).

Also, you were in WL in a Courtyard view. Was that their standard room or did you ask for an upgrade ? Did you pay extra ?

Again thank you so much for such a great review !

Thierry

Archived