Puerto Madryn - Paleontological Museum

Denny01

We would like to tour the Punta Loma Paleo Musuem (Equidio Feruglio Musuem) in Trelew. There is a tour that includes it, but has a number of other stops - we'd like to just go to Trelew and back to the port.

Has anyone used a taxi to Trelew which looks about 70km away - do we take a taxi one way and then get a taxi back, or pay for a roundtrip and stay-time?

So I guess the question is, how handy is it to get to Trelew and is it easy to return, and what the cost est is??

Denny

we went on the ships tour to the museum. it was a long ways there and back--we only saw the museum. (no lunch).

I would not take the chance of a private car--we really really enjoyed the museum but I would hate to get stuck and miss the boat. it is all desert--no services for most of the way

I've done that trip at least three times. You can certainly take a taxi and I think it's it's about 45 minutes to an hour to get to the Egidio Feruglio Museum, and it's well worth it. If you like this kind of thing, have you considered combining with the Bryn Gwyn outdoor paleontological museum? That is right in the desert - you follow a path up the side of a fairly high hill, and different fossils are displayed in situ as you move up through different geological periods. There is a stunning view from the top, looking back towards the Chubut valley.You need about an hour and a half for this place. If you are keen on bones and dinosaurs, the double bill might be good for you.

If you are anxious about missing the boat or the car breaking down - don't do it. But if you leave plenty of time to spare, you should be OK. These taxi drivers all have mobile phones, and will call up a reserve if anything should happen. If you leave the ship as soon as you dock, say around 8 am, find a car and set off at once, you have plenty of time to recover from any inconveiences. I'd say you can be back with three hours to spare. Check the timings with the taxi driver. But there are no absolute guaranteees - life's like that.

Archived