Portside and Starboard side...????

Rocky2006

I've been hearing people refer to these names...can someone explain to me what they mean?

I have an idea...which is preferred?

we are booked in #8229 on the miracle...what would this be considered?

so if you're on the portside you face the port? does this mean the ships dock in the same direction at each stop?

Sorry...don't mean to sound too dumb!

Thanks ;);););)

I was in 6364 on the Glory and it was portside. Yes, this meant you see the islands when approaching the ports. All the even numbered cabins on this ship were portside. This will be a hugh consideration for me when I book my next cruise. It is a beautiful sight!!!

I was in 6364 on the Glory and it was portside. Yes, this meant you see the islands when approaching the ports. All the even numbered cabins on this ship were portside. This will be a huge consideration for me when I book my next cruise. It is a beautiful sight!!!

Port side is the Left side of the ship.

Starboard side is the Right side of the ship.

Amidship or Midship is Middle of the ship.

Bow or Forward is the front of the ship.

Stern or Aft is the rear of the ship.

Go here to learn all nautical terms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amidships#amidships

Fred

I've been hearing people refer to these names...can someone explain to me what they mean?

so if you're on the portside you face the port? does this mean the ships dock in the same direction at each stop?

Thanks ;);););)

Remember - no question is too dumb only some of the replies. This is what the board is for - to ask questions and receive advice from seasoned cruisers.

An easy way to remember:

port 4 letters

left 4 letters

even 4 letters

You won't necessarily dock on the portside all the time - depends on to dock(s) and how many ships are there where you may end up mooring.

I was in 6364 on the Glory and it was portside. Yes, this meant you see the islands when approaching the ports. All the even numbered cabins on this ship were portside. This will be a huge consideration for me when I book my next cruise. It is a beautiful sight!!!

It means the left side of the ship as you look forward. IT MEANS NOTHING ELSE!

Thanks ;);););)

When you are facing the front of the ship, Port is on the left and Starboard is on the right. Fore is the front of the ship and Aft is the rear of the ship. 8229 on the Miracle is on the Starboard side of the ship. No, the ships do not dock in the same direction all the time. No such thing as a dumb question. Hope this helps.:)

On a previous post asking this same question someone responded with a clever little saying that I now use to remember which is which....and that saying is....

"Is there any port left?"

so far it has worked for me...since by process of elimination I can now determine that if port is left, starboard must be right....lol.

Starboard refers to the side on which the ship is steered. Ship's rudders (steering board) was originally located on the right hand side of the ship due to most Sailers being right handed.

Port refers to the left side of the boat as the ship moored (docked) on the the left side of the ship to prevent the rudder (steering board) from being crushed.

On a previous post asking this same question someone responded with a clever little saying that I now use to remember which is which....and that saying is....

"Is there any port left?"

so far it has worked for me...since by process of elimination I can now determine that if port is left, starboard must be right....lol.

Very good....They didn't teach us that way in the USMC boot camp...LOL;)

Archived