Okay, so now that Carnival is sailing out of Bayport........

inotdown

How long do you think that they will be there?

My cruise isn't till January and sooner or later I would like to make hotel and car rental plans. Being in Bayport changes everything vs being in Galveston. Is there any timeline or educated guesses on how long Carnival will be in Bayport? I feel for those in Galveston. All the property loss, damage done, and jobs in the area that relied on the cruise industry being there. Is there a chance that Carnival may never go back? I mean, gosh, they are in a brand new terminal that was begging for ships. Any insight or info would be greatly appreciated.

This is taken from the port of houston website

www.portofhouston.com/cruiseinfo

Regular sailings for the next 45 to 60 days will continue at Bayport Cruise Terminal for Carnival’s Ecstasy and Conquest per its regular schedule and itinerary, based temporarily from the Port of Galveston to the Port of Houston Authority’s Bayport Cruise Terminal.

Hope that helps some.

Sharon

I bet it will take much longer than 45-60 days.....that's why I went ahead and booked a hotel in La Porte....we are sailing in February....not quite 5 months from now. I also kept our original reservation in Galveston...just in case......

Port of Galveston is claiming to be back to accepting cruise ships by October 1st.:confused: heres what it says and the link to back me up..

The Port of Galveston plans to reopen for business on Monday and unload its first ship two days later, port chairman Gerald Sullivan said today.

The port expects to be able to accept cruise ships by Oct. 1, Sullivan added. Galveston ranks seventh in the nation in cruise liner business, according to city officials.

With the Port of Galveston closed, Carnival Cruise Lines moved its two Galveston-based ships to the Port of Houston's new Bayport Cruise Terminal this week.

Carnival plans to return to Galveston as soon as repairs to the port facilities are completed, Carnival President and CEO Gerry Cahill said in a statement.....

and heres the link:rolleyes:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6003905.html

Port of Galveston is claiming to be back to accepting cruise ships by October 1st.:confused: heres what it says and the link to back me up..

The Port of Galveston plans to reopen for business on Monday and unload its first ship two days later, port chairman Gerald Sullivan said today.

The port expects to be able to accept cruise ships by Oct. 1, Sullivan added. Galveston ranks seventh in the nation in cruise liner business, according to city officials.

With the Port of Galveston closed, Carnival Cruise Lines moved its two Galveston-based ships to the Port of Houston's new Bayport Cruise Terminal this week.

Carnival plans to return to Galveston as soon as repairs to the port facilities are completed, Carnival President and CEO Gerry Cahill said in a statement.....

and heres the link:rolleyes:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6003905.html

I just read this article......have they (the sources quoted in the article) totally lost all their marbles? Galveston Island is without adequate water/sewage and debris/filth everywhere as of this afternoon. They won't even let the folks that can PROVE they live there come home for a look-see. I can't imagine Galveston authorities letting 3000 tourists on board to get on a cruise ship! And where will they park all these cars??????

As of right now the Conquest saliling through November 2 will be at Bayport.

John Heald asked me to post this so that Cruise Critic members sailing on the Conquest and Ecstasy from Bayport would have the most accurate information:

Itineraries (changes shown in bold italics):

CARNIVAL CONQUEST:

7 Day Western Caribbean Cruises from Houston:

On Sunday, Sept. 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12, 19, 26, Nov. 2, 2008

Day Port of Call Arrive Depart

Sun. Houston (Bayport) 4:00 PM

Mon. “Fun Day” At Sea

Tues. “Fun Day” At Sea

Wed. Montego Bay 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Thurs. Grand Cayman 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

Fri. Cozumel 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

Sat. “Fun Day” At Sea

Sun. Houston (Bayport) 9:00 AM

CARNIVAL ECSTASY:

4 Day THURSDAY Western Caribbean Cruises from Houston:

On Thursday, Sept. 25, Oct. 9, 23, 2008

Thurs. Houston (Bayport) 3:00 PM

Fri. “Fun Day” At Sea

Sat. Cozumel 10:00 AM 5:00 PM

Sun. “Fun Day” At Sea

Mon. Houston (Bayport) 9:30 AM

5 Day SATURDAY Western Caribbean Cruises from Houston:

On Saturday, Sept. 20, Oct. 4, 18, Nov. 1, 2008

Sat. Houston (Bayport) 3:00 PM

Sun. “Fun Day” At Sea

Mon. Cozumel 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

Tues. Progreso, Yucatan 11:00 AM 7:00 PM

Wed. “Fun Day” At Sea

Thurs. Houston (Bayport) 9:00 AM

5 Day MONDAY Western Caribbean Cruises from Houston:

On Monday, Sept. 29, Oct. 13, 27, 2008

Mon. Houston (Bayport) 3:00 PM

Tues. “Fun Day” At Sea

Wed. Progreso, Yucatan 7:00 AM 3:00 PM

Thurs. Cozumel 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Fri. “Fun Day” At Sea

Sat. Houston (Bayport) 9:00 AM

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2008/09/17...oat/#more-5870

Host Mach

I cruise, therefore I am...

I agree with you Hockeygal. According to the city fathers, Galveston is uninhabitable and as you pointed out they will not allow residents to go on the island and check their properties. Whoever put out that info about the terminal (minus its rear wall!) has been smoking that wacky tobaccy again. If they get the cruise ships back in six months, I will be surprised. They have a long row to hoe on this one.

We are also sailing in January on the Conquest. I looked for hotels in the Houston area. I found a website that listed different hotels and their status...those that are opened are completely full. They will be full for a long while to come. Evacuees bring their dogs (I do) and the hotels will need some revamping after everyone checks out. I think everything is very shortsighted. I saw the big picture after Katrina and life does not just go back to normal in 3 or 4 weeks.

All the hotels/motels in the Clear Lake area of Houston (cities such as Nassau Bay, Seabrook, Webster, League City plus southeast Houston) are located within 20 minutes drive from the Port of Houston at Bayport. Although some have damage (especially those in Seabrook/Kemah), most, within the next month, will be back in business. Many of these facilities are very new and all national chains are represented. I'm sure some enterprising company and/or individual will establish a shuttle service to the port terminal (which, by the way, is very nice). Just give us Texans a month or so and we'll get it all worked out. For now, many of us just need your good thoughts and prayers.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in the Bayport terminal area and must say some areas are worsse then others...especially along the coast..however life is getting somewhat back to normal. Thats how Texas does it! Hotels will probably be booked for a while with, residents from non habitable homes and insurance people. I think Jan is far enough and you should find one by then. My cruise is in Nov and I have a wedding on board. I still don't know what terminal to tell my guest. Carnival told me to ask agian in a month...UHH Wedding is 1.5 months from now. I need to know sooner!

We are scheduled to sail on the Conquest Nov. 30th. Our plans were to spend the night before at our beach home on the Bolivar Peninsula and ride the ferry across. That is no longer an option but, if they are working as hard on the Galveston side of the ship channel as they are on the Bolivar side, I expect it will only be a few more weeks before the ships can cruise from Galveston again. They want and need their tax dollars and they are saying that they will be holding Dickens On The Strand in December in Galveston. Those of you who come in as tourists, please be generous with the residents and workers on Galveston and surrounding areas. I have lived in this area for 51 years and this was NOT a normal storm. Bolivar (to the East of Galveston) was actually hit much harder than Galveston was. Search Bolivar Peninsula and Hurricane Ike and you should find some pictures and video. EVERY single business on the peninsula was affected and only a handful were not totally demolished. Our own home, like the majority, was reduced to a few pieces of broken slab.

We are scheduled to sail on the Conquest Nov. 30th. Our plans were to spend the night before at our beach home on the Bolivar Peninsula and ride the ferry across. That is no longer an option but, if they are working as hard on the Galveston side of the ship channel as they are on the Bolivar side, I expect it will only be a few more weeks before the ships can cruise from Galveston again. They want and need their tax dollars and they are saying that they will be holding Dickens On The Strand in December in Galveston. Those of you who come in as tourists, please be generous with the residents and workers on Galveston and surrounding areas. I have lived in this area for 51 years and this was NOT a normal storm. Bolivar (to the East of Galveston) was actually hit much harder than Galveston was. Search Bolivar Peninsula and Hurricane Ike and you should find some pictures and video. EVERY single business on the peninsula was affected and only a handful were not totally demolished. Our own home, like the majority, was reduced to a few pieces of broken slab.

I am so sorry about your Bolivar home and for what the storm did to the entire peninsula. It is just terrible. It's like Bolivar was just taken from all of us and will never be the same. I can't imagine what it must be like for all of you to see the devastation of what was once your homes and neighborhoods. And it's not just the structures, the storm stripped the peninsula of all its beauty. Galveston suffered water damage and flooding all over but not complete devastation like Bolivar.

Archived