Hurricane Ike!!!

I am getting married in 67 days and IKE has put me under a little more stress!!! We were very lucky all my family and friends are ok! However due to the lack of power my company is still closed and I am unable to go to work and my son has been out of school all week! But we are still very lucky!Galveston is a total mess. There is no power or anything. They said on the news that it will take about 3 months to get it up and running. That being said I called Myriam at Carnival and she said that the ships are running out of Seabrook not Galveston. She said that everything will go as planned as far as they are concerned. They have no more information that I do as far as if it will open by November. I also contacted Hilton hotels where we have our blocked rooms and they didn't have any idea on when they would open. they are still standing but do have a lot of damage. I think in a few weeks we will go about 20 minutes from Seabrook and look for hotels. A lot of them in that area were damaged too and the ones that are ok are full of people who don't have a home to go to. Myriam did say that she will contact all her brides and let them know as things change as it gets closer. She did also say that if it is still at the new port and it isn't going to work for us that we can cancle and get a refund. Although we don't want to do that I thought it was cool to offer. She also said that they are going to give brides longer and work with them on the final number. The has taken a hard hit having to cancle two cruises and taking care of the guests they already have it is good to see they are also trying to work with upcoming brides. If anyone else hears anything or need any other info please let me know! Here is the link to carnivals site with all the updates! http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/crui...Updates08.aspx

Hope it helps! And i really hope IKE didn't ruin anyones wedding!

I feel so bad for you! I know you must be stressing but just remember that although your plans may have to be adjusted a little bit, at least you are able to continue on with your wedding. You have a couple of months so you should be fine. Who I really feel bad for is those brides who may have to cancel their whole wedding because they may not have a home or a job to go to. :( Is it me or is the weather seem to be getting more exaggerated in the past couple of years? (Hotter in the summer, Colder in the winter, more tornadoes and hurricanes?)

Barbie

Okay, I'm going tino troubleshooting mode for you.

Let me re cap what I know about your situation. Tell me how I am wrong and/or what I am missing and I will be happy to brainstorm more for you and offer possible solutions that I can think of. I could imagine that being under this type of stress would cause cartwheels to happen in your head when you are trying to sort everything out.

Okay, here goes what I know....

All of the ships are now departing from Houston. Houston is 40 driving minutes from Katy, Tx whereas Galveston is 1.5 driving hours from Katy, Tx.....

You had previously mentioned that the main reason you wanted to stay over in Galveston was so that you didnt have to get up early to drive down there the day of the wedding. So now you only have a 40-60 minute drive in total (after parking and getting TO the terminal) Sure...you still have to depart earlier than you probably wanted, but this seems like a better deal for you, considering your concern with not wanting to get up early.

(for a shuttle fee) Carnival will arrange a shuttle to move the guests that you have flying in to IAH or HOU to the pier in Houston (or Galveston) on the day of departure....

Call the Hilton and see if you can put a hold on some rooms in Houston for your guests flying in. See if you can work it that these rooms will be held pending the issues getting resolved at the Hilton in Galveston. This will solve any sleeping arrangements issues for guests coming in early.

The only real snafu I see is if the ship starts departing from Galveston before appropriate accommodations are ready in Galveston for your guests. If that is the case then they are going to have to be shuttled from Houston to Galveston the DAY of departure. Carnival can/will do this. If that is what you choose you just have to dertermine what time he Carnival shuttle would arrive at the port?

Investigate: Would it be possible for you to arrange a separate shuttle, thru Carnival, for your wedding guests? I could see this being a possibility if you had enough guests and/or were willing to pick up any $ balance.

You could also start phoning other shuttle companies in Houston and getting quotes to see how much bus/van service would cost to get all of your guests fro Houston to Galveston. And then start brainstorming how it is going to get paid for. If this is what you have to do, I dont see a way sround it. Just make sure the van/bus departs at 7 or 8 am so that your guests arrive with plenty of time to spare.

For more information on shuttle services, ask on the Galveston port board and ask on the roll call board for your sailing.

Some friends of mine stayed at the Best Western in Galveston this past April, prior to their wedding. They had zero complaints. I know it is a total longshot but here is the info for that hotel. Give them a call, they might be up and running.....

BEST WESTERN BEACHFRONT INN

5914 SEAWALL BLVD

GALVESTON TX 77551

PHONE- 409-7401261

FAX- 409-7445983

I would also google hotels/motels in Galveston to see which hotels/motels are available, as part of larger chains. Then call the chains main number and ask if any of the hotel/motels are open for buisness. Not everything got destroyed. You might get lucky. You would still have to arrange transportation from that hotel/motel to the ship AND this is all contingent on having the ship actually move back to the part in Galveston. But at least you would know your options.

What else do you want me to trouble shoot for you?

Lastly, let me leave you with this mantra. Please make it part of your daily routine, when you are feelgin stressed and overwhelmed about thyis turn of events - PLEASE repeat, OUT LOUD "Everything is going to work out just fine. Everything will take care of itself. Everything will fall into place"

I feel so bad for you! I know you must be stressing but just remember that although your plans may have to be adjusted a little bit, at least you are able to continue on with your wedding. You have a couple of months so you should be fine. Who I really feel bad for is those brides who may have to cancel their whole wedding because they may not have a home or a job to go to. :( Is it me or is the weather seem to be getting more exaggerated in the past couple of years? (Hotter in the summer, Colder in the winter, more tornadoes and hurricanes?)

Barbie

I think they call this "Global Warming"

The poles actually shift positions every bazillion years.... It does take another bazillion years for them to actually shift, but we could be experiencing severe weather as a result of this.

Barbie

Thanks for your thought. Like you said i ma lucky we are able to get married so I am happy with that! I hope I can go back to my job soon but at least I have my home and my friends and family!

Okay, I'm going tino troubleshooting mode for you.

Let me re cap what I know about your situation. Tell me how I am wrong and/or what I am missing and I will be happy to brainstorm more for you and offer possible solutions that I can think of. I could imagine that being under this type of stress would cause cartwheels to happen in your head when you are trying to sort everything out.

Okay, here goes what I know....

All of the ships are now departing from Houston. Houston is 40 driving minutes from Katy, Tx whereas Galveston is 1.5 driving hours from Katy, Tx.....

You had previously mentioned that the main reason you wanted to stay over in Galveston was so that you didnt have to get up early to drive down there the day of the wedding. So now you only have a 40-60 minute drive in total (after parking and getting TO the terminal) Sure...you still have to depart earlier than you probably wanted, but this seems like a better deal for you, considering your concern with not wanting to get up early.

(for a shuttle fee) Carnival will arrange a shuttle to move the guests that you have flying in to IAH or HOU to the pier in Houston (or Galveston) on the day of departure....

Call the Hilton and see if you can put a hold on some rooms in Houston for your guests flying in. See if you can work it that these rooms will be held pending the issues getting resolved at the Hilton in Galveston. This will solve any sleeping arrangements issues for guests coming in early.

The only real snafu I see is if the ship starts departing from Galveston before appropriate accommodations are ready in Galveston for your guests. If that is the case then they are going to have to be shuttled from Houston to Galveston the DAY of departure. Carnival can/will do this. If that is what you choose you just have to dertermine what time he Carnival shuttle would arrive at the port?

Investigate: Would it be possible for you to arrange a separate shuttle, thru Carnival, for your wedding guests? I could see this being a possibility if you had enough guests and/or were willing to pick up any $ balance.

You could also start phoning other shuttle companies in Houston and getting quotes to see how much bus/van service would cost to get all of your guests fro Houston to Galveston. And then start brainstorming how it is going to get paid for. If this is what you have to do, I dont see a way sround it. Just make sure the van/bus departs at 7 or 8 am so that your guests arrive with plenty of time to spare.

For more information on shuttle services, ask on the Galveston port board and ask on the roll call board for your sailing.

Some friends of mine stayed at the Best Western in Galveston this past April, prior to their wedding. They had zero complaints. I know it is a total longshot but here is the info for that hotel. Give them a call, they might be up and running.....

BEST WESTERN BEACHFRONT INN

5914 SEAWALL BLVD

GALVESTON TX 77551

PHONE- 409-7401261

FAX- 409-7445983

I would also google hotels/motels in Galveston to see which hotels/motels are available, as part of larger chains. Then call the chains main number and ask if any of the hotel/motels are open for buisness. Not everything got destroyed. You might get lucky. You would still have to arrange transportation from that hotel/motel to the ship AND this is all contingent on having the ship actually move back to the part in Galveston. But at least you would know your options.

What else do you want me to trouble shoot for you?

Lastly, let me leave you with this mantra. Please make it part of your daily routine, when you are feelgin stressed and overwhelmed about thyis turn of events - PLEASE repeat, OUT LOUD "Everything is going to work out just fine. Everything will take care of itself. Everything will fall into place"

Thanks for your ideas. I did call Hilton Hotels the main office and they said that I should wait a few weeks and see if the get electricity and phones there and talk to the Galveston location and see what they say. There are no phone lines, water or power there now and they don't think anything will be going for at least a month.

The new port is an hour from us. I don't have may guests sailing but I do have a lot flying in for the weekend. I have even checked hotels by my house in Katy and they are all full but I am sure in a month or so things will change.

I am sure things will work out. The most important thing is that we are still getting married.

Archived