great mofongo anyone??

airlink diva

I find getting a good Mofongo is tricky (at least finding it the way I like it).

A basic Mofongo is mushed plaintains and garlic, oil, salt, seasoning. I find it kind of bland.

I like it made from yucca and more mashed, lots of garlic. I also think it needs to be filled, so it has a sauce with it. But that is my taste. Many locals only like the original variety.

I really like the yucca mofongo filled with pork or chicken (or seafood) at the Waterfront restaurant in Pinones. You can take a taxi there for about $24.

I really want to try this when I'm in San Juan. Can someone suggest a local place not too far from the port? Willing to take a taxi or local bus to a great place (I'm in San Juan from 8 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.)

if you are in san juan take the ferry to catano and just cross the street its Restaurante Don Tello 787-788-1951

787-788-6607Fax

very very good food, ocean front restaurant and, good prices! and you dont have to spend on taxis, for a good mofongo! ferry its free until dec.

if you are in san juan take the ferry to catano and just cross the street its Restaurante Don Tello 787-788-1951

787-788-6607Fax

very very good food, ocean front restaurant and, good prices! and you dont have to spend on taxis, for a good mofongo! ferry its free until dec.

What ferry are you referring to? Is it near the port area? What are the ferry hours and stops?

I'm going to write this resturant down! Thanks!!!

What ferry are you referring to? Is it near the port area? What are the ferry hours and stops?

I'm going to write this resturant down! Thanks!!!

They are referring to the Catano ferry- it leaves from the pier 2- the one right next to the cruise pier.

Here is the info on the ferry:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/catano-ferry/

Note- it is free until the end of the year!

There are lots of places for mofongo right in OSJ. Caveat: I haven't eaten mofongo in years, so I can't recommend one over another, but you can find it in Mojitos and Raices, right across the street from the big parking garages near the waterfront, La Bombonera (and you can get a mallorca while you're at it), El Jibarito and many others. If search isn't working click through a couple of pages of this forum and you'll find lots of recommendations for good local restaurants.

Mofongo is really unique and not to be missed! Unlike a PP, I prefer the traditional plantain kind, and IMO it doesn't need to be stuffed, mixed or covered with anything else :D . Hope you enjoy it!

A basic Mofongo is mushed plaintains and garlic, oil, salt, seasoning.

A core ingredient in mofongo is chicharrón (fried pork skin, cracklins). And true mofongo doesn't have any seasonings, herbs, spices -- it's fried green plantain, garlic, chicharrón and maybe salt if the chicharrón didn't make it salty enough :eek: . It can also be made from fried yucca, breadfruit and other starchy vegetables, but those are recent additions.

• 2 weeks later...
I really want to try this when I'm in San Juan. Can someone suggest a local place not too far from the port? Willing to take a taxi or local bus to a great place (I'm in San Juan from 8 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.)

I went to a local place in Isla Verde called Mi Casa (It's in a small strip shopping center)....Very very good. YOu can take a taxi from the port. The beach there is very nice there as well.

I went to a local place in Isla Verde called Mi Casa (It's in a small strip shopping center)....Very very good. YOu can take a taxi from the port. The beach there is very nice there as well.

I second Mi Casa - it was so good, looking forward to going back in December :D

Archived