Live from Splendour

nycgirl0618

Hello all!! I am on my way to Corfu and thought I would write a little about my cruise. I will post a full review when I get back to the States. Had horrible weather early in the week but now it's sunny and in the mid to upper 80s.

Boat-Fantastic. It is clean, well maintained and I have no problems at all.

Cabin-Very nice. My cabin steward is great and there is as much room as I can ask for in a superior interior. It would be nice if my luggage could fit under the bed but minor complaint. Showers are very small though. Not a lot of fun.

Food-Very worried about this. Well, the food ranges from good to very good. The pre-made scrambled eggs are horrible but other than that everything is very tasty. Both the main dining room and Windjammer are very good with something for everyone.

Ports-Amazing. Came back from Santorini yesterday. The most incredible place I have ever seen. Pictures dont do it justice. All the ports have been great. I will post detailed info on the tender process of Santorini. The ships process leaves a lot to be desired. Unorganized and stupid come to mind. The cable car system wasn't as bad as I thought and there were 4 other ships here yesterday. At one point 5.

I will log back on later so if you have questions, I will try to answer them. I have pictures of menus and I saved all the cruise compasses so I will scan them when I get home.

Thanks again to all of you that helped me plan this trip. It really was a once in a lifetime experience for me.

Thanks for your info so far! We leave home next Wednesday to do the same cruise as you so I wait with baited breath for your (hopefully long!!!) review. There has just been a terrible review of Splendour so I am getting a little worried. Is the food really so bad? Is the ship in good shape? What time is late dining? Do I take summer dresses for evening wear or not? Are there many tuxes about? If you meet anyone from the Royal Family Suite can you ask them how it is? Sorry to ask you so many questions but I'm getting really excited and trying to get as much info as possible!!

Thanks, Margaret

Hi, hope you are enjoying your Cruise. Don't waste time answering these questions!

We are sailing on Spleandour in Oct in the Eastern med.

When you get back I would really like to know if the beds were comfortable and not hard. My DW has a bad back and is very sensitive about her bed. When we sailed with Princess, you could request an "egg-crate" matress, Which is an additional thin matress like an upturned egg crate, which they put on top of your normal matress. This was terrific for DW and she has never slept beter.

She now uses this as an excuse to say we should cruise more often so she can get a good nights sleep. I think I am being succered!!

Have agreat time.

Hi, hope you are enjoying your Cruise. Don't waste time answering these questions!

When you get back I would really like to know if the beds were comfortable and not hard. My DW has a bad back and is very sensitive about her bed. When we sailed with Princess, you could request an "egg-crate" matress, Which is an additional thin matress like an upturned egg crate, which they put on top of your normal matress. This was terrific for DW and she has never slept beter.

She now uses this as an excuse to say we should cruise more often so she can get a good nights sleep. I think I am being succered!!

Have agreat time.

Egg crate can be had on all RCI ships by asking your cabin attendant....

enjoy :)

You can also ask your cabin attendant to store your luggage if it doesn't fit under your bed. It will be returned the last night so you can pack.

We have just returned from our first cruise last week on Splendour and found it to be absolutely wonderful! I have just read the latest review with amazement. We both thought the food was excellent. We didn`t expect it to be top restaurant quality so we were not dissapointed. When they are catering for 2,000 people you cannot expect that. I thought the choices were good and we had no cause for complaint. The service we received was fantastic. Our waiters were great fun and made our wedding anniversary very special. The head waiter came along every evening to cut my food up when he saw I was struggling with my arthritic hands.

nycgirl, if you notice an English lady in a wheelchair with a lady carer her name is Elaine. Please tell her Jackie and Steve send their love. They were staying on for a second week and we so wished we were staying on too!

I cannot wait for my next cruise and would be very happy to return to Splendour and her great crew.

I don't understand why their are so many complaints about the food. I had another good meal last night. Breakfast does get tiring eating the same food in Windjammer but it is not bad at all. I live in NYC and eat all sorts of food at very good restaurants and I like to think I know about food, not to sound like a snob. :D The food is very good and I would not be nervous about having a bad meal.

I had late dining. It is at 9:00pm. Works out well because I like to stay in port late.

The weather had not been great for me. It is very windy at night. I bought a bunch of summer dresses for night but never wore any of them on deck at night. I just wore them around the boat after dinner. In fact, the deck is so windy at night, no one is out. I hope the rest of you have better weather.

Lots of men in tuxes on the formal nights. The rest in suits, or dress shirts with pants and jackets. More formal than I thought. I guess its the European influence. Lots of Americans, Brits and Italians.

Ship is in very good shape. You wouldn't think she is as old as she is.

I find the bed comfortable. I have a bad upper back and neck and the bed is fine for me.

I will post more when I return. I'm running out of minutes:o

Have agreat time.

You should not have a problem with the bed. Princess is really the only mainstream line that has not jumped on the "new bed" banwagon. They still have the old, uncomfortable non-pillow top type on there ships. The beds on RCI are borderline heavenly :o

Archived