Cabs at Civi and Livorno ports

It depends on the port authority. We were able to get to our ship in Civatevecchia by showing our cruise docs. For leaving, if you have a private car/taxi arranged, I think they can get to the ship if they make arrangements, but the ones that don't have paperwork probably can't.

In Civitavecchia there will be a group of taxis adjacent to the ship, but none of these taxis will want to take you to the local train station. There is a free port shuttle bus that will drop you at the port entrance from which its an easy 4 - 5 block walk to the train station. In Livorno, there will also be some taxis at the pier, but most of them will want to be hired for the full day. However, there are usually a few that will take passengers to the Livorno station for about 20 Euros (its too far to walk). An alternative in Livorno is to take the ship shuttle bus (usually they charge $5 - $7) into town from where you can get a local bus or a taxi to the station. I never liked this last option since it ends up costing nearly as much as a taxi from the ship and wastes a lot of time.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

My suggestion is to post on the Roll Call for your ship/sailing for other passengers that might want to share a pre-arranged private tour. There are several companies that will do custom tours from Livorno. The car or tour service will have a car waiting for you at the ship.....no time wasted finding a taxi and negotiating. Sharing will greatly reduce your cost and the driver/tour service may suggest some other places of interest along the way. You don't need a lot of time in Pisa. An idea is adding the short trip to Lucca on to your day. If you are set on a taxi to Pisa, you can always get a train back to Livorno, or have the taxi drive you from site to site and wait for you for the return to the ship.

Thank you for the information. There are 7 of us in our group so maybe i could get a private tour. I didn't think a tour would be interested in a half day tour. We just want a tour for a half a day since we think our kids are going to be tired. I will look into a private tour. Thanks again.

I was wondering if i could get a cab in Livorno to take us to Pisa. I was also wondering if anyone would have an idea of the cost and would it be difficult to find a cab back to the ship from Pisa. Thanks

FYI: We were short on time in Pisa, trying to get back to the train station & we could NOT find a taxi anywhere. There were a couple, but they were waiting for people that had already hired them & would not take us. I would imagine if you took a taxi all the way from Livorno, you could just arrange for him to wait for you. Probably not that uncommon.

Our experience for these two ports last month was:

Civitavecchia - continous free shuttle to port entrance, short (10 min) walk to train station, then train to Rome.

Livorno - Taxi at ship for 8 of us to Livorno station (20 Euros), then train to Pisa.

Regards

Roy

Archived