Kayaking in Juneau or Sitka???

cigloo

We leave in two days and are signed up for kayaking trips in Juneau and Sitka. We can't decide which would be better? Also, with the weather cold and wet, how dangerous are the waters?? I am not a strong swimmer and don't really like the water. My DH loves to do things like this. I am thinking of just letting him do the one in Juneau that goes to the glacier??

Thanks,

Jennifer

HI,

ON our cruise, we did kayaking in Ketchikan and would highly recommend it. We used Southeast Sea Kayaks based on recommendations on these boards. You might want to double-check the info about the kayak trips you are considering-in Juneau the kayak trip (offered through Princess) did NOT go to/near the Mendenhall Glacier-the canoe trip is the one that goes closest to the glacier. The waters there were quite calm on the canoe! Novices would have no problem.

Have fun, whatever you do! I

We kayaked in Sitka this year - it was spectacular! But it was in early June, and while it wasn't warm by any stretch of the imagination, I'm sure it was much warmer than it is right now. We took a boat to a secluded cove, and the water was smooth as glass. Saw lots of HUGE jelly fish - they were everywhere! The guide (one to every 3 kayaks) was very knowledgable, a local boy, born and bred. He said that there have been times where whales have been trapped in the cove we were in due to the tide, and it made for an extra special excursion when they had a whale to show off! Really enjoyed the kayaking, and I had never done it before. Its really quite easy once you get the hang of the balance thing. You just glide along, enjoying that beautiful scenery.

We sailed to AK for the first time in Sept. of 2006, and it was chilly and misty most of the time. I've been hearing its getting quite cold up there now this year, so if you're at all uncomfortable chilly weather and potentially rougher water, maybe it is a better idea to send your husband off on his own in Juneau.

My vote would be to give it a shot in Sitka. Juneau is a great port for whale watching if you don't have any other excursion planned there. Or if the weather's nice when you disembark, go up the tram and hike around Mt. Roberts - the views are incredible! Mendenhal Glacier was great too - and this time of year, you might see some bear, we didn't this time - too early.

Whatever you do - enjoy yourself. I'm envious!:o

Sorry Minus, I don't know. We booked thru the ship (HAL Oosterdam). Sitka is our favorite port BY FAR! So lovely and picturesque. I hope you choose to do it there - the scenery is just stunning! Go on HAL's website, and click on the shore excursions for AK, check out Sitka, and then click on the sea kayaking excursion - it takes you to the website of the company that they use. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.:(

Archived