On Deck for the Cure

Izziebella

Well I am sitting on deck waiting to debark (trying to use up the last of my minutes). We did the walk and we were told that fleet wide Carnival has raised over $700,000 in a little over a year. She also told us that if you already have a shirt you can walk wearing that one and rather buying another shirt all $10 could go directly to the cause. It was great to see the 88 year old survivor walking with her walker.

Just ask at the formal shop onboard the first day. They will take your money, give you your t-shirt and wristband and tell you what day and time. On the Liberty it was our last sea day in the afternoon.......

On the Freedom this past April, we signed up on the Lido Deck. If the Formal Shop doesn't know anything about it, ask at the Pursers Desk.

I am guessing this has something to do with breast cancer awareness? Exactly what do you do to participate. I'd definitely be interested, and we will be going on the Ecstasy in February, glad to hear they participate. How do I find out more about it?

We signed up in the Formal Shop after finding out about it by accident when walking past the shop and seeing something in the display case. This was on the first day we sailed. We were told that the Miracle holds it on the second to last day at sea, in the morning (ended up being at 1030). We were told that Carnival would be doing this probably until there was no interest so they are sure they will be doing it forever.

I believe it was the night of San Juan or St Thomas (3rd or 4th day at sea) that we got information in our cabin about it with the next day's Caper.

I was really glad to participate on the Triumph. Unfortunately, the social hosts were not very bright, and had a beanbag tournament going on on the walking track at the same time. They would not move the beanbag tossers until a group of us physically picked up their bags and wooden things. Everyone cheered. (these were all 20 something guys who wouldn't move when asked nicely during the first few laps). I was also so disappointed in the hundreds of people laying in the sun right in the middle of our walk just watching us walk around, baking themselves. Very few people participated, but those who did found it incredibly meaningful. If you cry, that's just fine. It's an amazing experience with others who have been touched. Everyone wrote names on their shirts for those for whom they were walking. I hope to see it continue, and gain recognition and participation.

On the Freedom this past April, we signed up on the Lido Deck. If the Formal Shop doesn't know anything about it, ask at the Pursers Desk.
It is always haldled through the formal shop at the begining of the cruise. They have the t's there and they take the money no problem.....It is also listed in the Capers. It was nice to see that when people had the t's on for the walk they had someone on deck for the people that never really look at their Capers. People signed up that afternoon also before the walk started......

I was really glad to participate on the Triumph. Unfortunately, the social hosts were not very bright, and had a beanbag tournament going on on the walking track at the same time. They would not move the beanbag tossers until a group of us physically picked up their bags and wooden things. Everyone cheered. (these were all 20 something guys who wouldn't move when asked nicely during the first few laps). I was also so disappointed in the hundreds of people laying in the sun right in the middle of our walk just watching us walk around, baking themselves. Very few people participated, but those who did found it incredibly meaningful. If you cry, that's just fine. It's an amazing experience with others who have been touched. Everyone wrote names on their shirts for those for whom they were walking. I hope to see it continue, and gain recognition and participation.

I like the idea of writing the names of the "honorees" on our shirts. I will be sure to bring a permanent marker to the walk with me in case anyone else wants to write on their shirts as well.

Someone asked what this is exactly. You sign up for the walk (ask the pursers desk on your ship where to sign up) Pay 10.00. You will get a t-shirt and a wrist braclet. You show up on the deck with the jogging track when they tell you the walk will be going on, and you walk about a mile. As mentioned above, you don't have to walk, you could be a cheerleader. Or you can walk part way, and then be a cheerleader. 2.00 is kept by carnival for the cost of the shirt, and the remaining 8.00 is donated to breast cancer research. It is a wonderful way to honor someone you love. And a wonderful way to donate to a really important cause.

It is always haldled through the formal shop at the begining of the cruise. They have the t's there and they take the money no problem.....It is also listed in the Capers. It was nice to see that when people had the t's on for the walk they had someone on deck for the people that never really look at their Capers. People signed up that afternoon also before the walk started......

That is probably what happened to us. We didn't see it in the Capers and then we heard the announcement on the Lido deck and there was the stand with the T's and that is where we signed up.

Miracle holds it on a sea day. We were completely done in about 30-45 minutes. I could be wrong but I believe they are all held on cruise days. According to an e-mail that we received this morning our walk raised $2200 and that they are just about to hit the $700,000 mark since starting the walk in October of last year.

Archived