vatican tours

Hi all

i emailed the vatican re their tours directly and gave them my date and the rough time we would be arriving. they emailed back saying all tours are fully booked.

Do you think that means all day, or the rough time that I gave them???

Does that also mean, we cannot tour the vatican, or just not with their guide???

thanks

Mags

Hi all

i emailed the vatican re their tours directly and gave them my date and the rough time we would be arriving. they emailed back saying all tours are fully booked.

Does that also mean, we cannot tour the vatican, or just not with their guide???

thanks

Mags

Hi Mags,

I would try sending another request, providing specific times that you can tour (as per the times shown on their website.) Is your visit coming up quite soon?

If you cannot get a tour with the Vatican directly, there are private companies that do tours.

Good luck!

Hi susan

thanks for response, I have emailed back and asked are all tours full for the day, so see what happens.

any ideas of private tours?? we will be catching the train from port, as have our 21 month old with us, just think the train will be easier on her, quicker, and not upsetting other travellers on tour bus!! so dont need the port pick up just the vatican guide??

many thanks

Mags

Hi Mags,

I see from one of your earlier posts that you are going this month...so perhaps all of the tours are full since bookings can be requested 30 days ahead.

We did the Vatican Museum tour (booked directly with them) 3 years ago and are doing the same next month. There have been some recommendations here for private tours ... but I haven't paid too much attention, although Through Eternity and Angel Tours comes to mind.

I think taking the train will be OK with your toddler ... but I'm not sure about 2 hours in the Vatican...or trying to do it with a group as big as the Vatican Museums do (~20-25 people). Just my thoughts based on our last visit ... and of course, I don't know how your child is in these situations.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Hi Mags

We went to Rome in August and we booked a private tour with Rome in Limo and also paid extra for a private tour round the Vatican - I can say that the guide (Sarah) and the Vatican tour itself absolutely made our holiday. So I would send an e mail through to Rome in Limo and see if they can arrange a private tour for you - I can promise you that you will not be disappointed.

Sue

Hi all

thanks

Mags

You can certainly go to the Vatican museum without a guide. To avoid the longest lines, try to be there around 12:30 or shortly thereafter. There is much less of a wait at that time. You can rent an audioguide or just take a good guidebook. With your little one, I might suggest the Rick Steves quick tour through the Vatican museum (in his Rome guidebook). I understand he also has free downloadable podcasts for both the Vatican Museum and St. Peters.

If you want a tour, many people recommend Presto and Angel tours as well. The Rick Steves podcasts cover the Basilica and the Sistine Chapel but not the Vatican Museums. Apparently they change the path the crowd takes through the museums fairly often and I think it would be hard to have a consistent podcast tour of it. The audio guides you can rent have the number to tap in to hear about where you are.

Many thanks all I have booked with presto tours!!! so hears hoping all goes well!!

One other thing to the experienced! We have to meet them by the vatican museum, I have a map they emailed, but can you walk through the vatican grounds as the san Pietro train station is the other side of the the vatican, ie by st Peters Basilica?? Or do you walk around, or taxi??

Many thanks

Mags

If you want a tour, many people recommend Presto and Angel tours as well. The Rick Steves podcasts cover the Basilica and the Sistine Chapel but not the Vatican Museums. Apparently they change the path the crowd takes through the museums fairly often and I think it would be hard to have a consistent podcast tour of it. The audio guides you can rent have the number to tap in to hear about where you are.

I've been taking private tours for past 35 years and the best one I've ever experienced was this past May while in Rome and it was Angel tours.

Fabulous and very reasonable.

Contact them at info@angeltours.com and tell them Marilyn from Canada referred you; they will certainly treat you well; They are also recommended in Rick Steeves latest book.

Archived