Just gave up an Aft cabin for A Hump cabin

rt1092

I am in the minority. Most people love this cabin. For us, it was very hot - too hot to go out and enjoy the large balcony - there is a vacuum like effect when the ship moves forward and the air is very still across the stern/aft no crossbreeze to temper the heat. The little shaded corner of the balcony became like an oven. As you mentioned, you'll be sailing in cooler climate so heat probably won't be an issue for you.

We also didn't care for the view. On Voyager/Freedom class ships, there is a criss-cross of beams across the back of the ship, extending beyond the balconies, so the view is obstructed. 1388 has one beam that dips low over the balcony and you have to duck under it - I hit my head on it twice. The back of deck 6 extends quite far out, too. So, you have to look in the distance to see the ocean. We prefer the view from a side cabin, where you can look straight down/out into the ocean with no beams in the way. This is just our personal preference, as most people love the view and don't mind looking between the beams and beyond the lower decks.

We felt that the walk was very long, and we prefer the convenience of being near the elevator/stair lobby. In the corner of the hallway outside the cabin is a crew only stairwell, and we encountered Capt Johnny several times out there - it seems he utilized this stairwell a lot!!! He's very personable and friendly, and stopped to talk to us. (There was no other noise or issues from this staircase, just encounters with the Capt)

On the positive side, we did not experience any issues with soot on the balcony or noise from the Windjammer above. However, each morning, our balcony was soaking wet from the runoff of water used to clean the sports deck and Windjammer windows overnight, so don't leave things out there.

Like I said, I am in the minority. You'll probably love this cabin, as most people do. It's as large as a JS (without the tub and the walk-in closet), which is important on a 46 day cruise. Have a great trip!

Thanks for the reply DonnaK.

We had a JS aft on deck 6 on the AOS a few years ago. It was absolutely the worst cabin we have ever had. All you could see from the balcony was the horizon and it was so hot you could not even be out there at night. On the other hand we had an aft cabin on the Mercury for our Australia/NZ cruise last year and spent all day on the balcony when we had sea days. It was great to have the protection from the cool winds. I guess it is all relative to your itinerary.

We will be on the Mariner for a B2B in October in a hump cabin, so we can compare the two!

Janelle

Archived