Tenerife Mediterranean December

newbys

Just booked Colourful Coasts on the Celebration for the 5 Th of December 08 .Would welcome any pointers on this cruise.Which night is Formal night? Is going ashore on your own easy in most ports and what trips would you advise?We went on Emerald in June and had a fantastic time and have booked this trip for our 25th Wedding Anniversary has any one had there anniversary on board and did they have any thing special ? Just hope it will live up to our previous cruise. Not so Newbys now !!! 08&ship=Thomson Celebration

Hi - first of all, Celebration's great so I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip. There's going to be a refurb of passenger/public areas during the refit at the end of October so she should be looking good.

When we did the Colourful Coasts on Celebration two years ago, the Captain's Cocktail Party (Formal Night) was on the evening of the day at Santa Cruz, La Palma. It's a fairly early departure from there which gives you time to get ready if you're on first sitting.

The trip I really would recommend is the Timanfaya Park on Lanzarote (Fire Mountain). It was a 4 hour trip @£30 but was spectacular scenery and you even got a camel ride too! The 'Discover the North' trip (£23, four hours) was excellent too. You saw quite a bit of the island and visited the Jameos del Agua - caves from a lava tunnel which have been brilliantly landscaped by Cesar Manrique. It's hard to choose - they're both well worth it. Arrecife port is not in the centre of the town but not far away - you could DiY into Arrecife or catch a local bus to Costa Teguise which is a small but nice seaside resort but I think if you haven't been to Lanzarote before, I'd take a trip out.

In Agadir we did the Taroudannt trip (5 hours £26) which we really enjoyed. We felt we got a flavour of the real Morocco. Taroudannt is called 'little Marrakech' so we thought it would be a scaled down version. The Marrakech trip is a long one - about 12 hours of which I think 5 is travelling time and obviously is more expensive. Personally, I was happier doing an organised excursion here - I'm not sure how easy it is to go off on your own and the port is not in Agadir itself although you can see it from the ship.

It's easy to do your own thing in Madeira. We walked from the port to the cable car, got the toboggan half-way down (it's hard going walking back to the waterfront though as it's very steep, so might be worth getting a taxi for the last bit depending on how resilient your knees are!). We then got the sight seeing bus round Funchal.

Santa Cruz La Palma is quite small but pretty and is nice to just have a relaxing stroll through the town and perhaps have a drink. There are some colourful Canarian houses, a model of Columbus' ship and a prom. There is only really two main street but it is attractive but no more that a couple of hours' worth of interest (including coffe break). You just walk right off the ship ito the town. I haven't done an island tour here.

Las Palmas, Gran Canaria is another one where you just walk off the ship. If you turn right after leaving the port area, there's a good beach within a block or two. There's a HOHO and you can get off at Vegueta which is the old town. There are quite good shops in Las Palmas. Again, not done a trip so can't tell you anything about those.

Tenerife - it's easy to walk off the ship here too. Whether you will have time depends on your flight times but if you have a late one, you can spend the morning ashore if you wish. Again, good shops here.

Enjoy your trip - at least you should get some welcome winter sunshine!:)

The cable car is about a 20minute brisk walk from the port, depending on birth. If you are birthed on the sea wall then you can catch a water taxi for about 1.5EURO to the other side which would make it a 10minute walk.

Once you are at the top of the cable car then there is quite a steep short walk to the tobogan start or the botanical gardens.

Be aware that if you don't go on an organised trip the run does not take you all the way to the bottom and it's quite a steep, 35minute walk for the rest of it. I would get a taxi if you have walking difficulties.

Yes, I agree - although it's a level walk to the cable car (but as previously described a steep walk back which is quite challenging) it would be too far given your situation. I wouldn't think it wouldn't be too expensive for a taxi though as the distances involved are not great. But Madeira is lovely - enjoy your trip.

What I like about the Canaries Itinery is you have a choice of 3 ports to join the ship. I have gone for Grand Canary as I especially want to spend a day on Tenerife and visit mount Tede. You get good long stays in the joining ports as well with sailings at either 11pm or midnight.

Hi mtt

We spent hardly anything off the ship, but it would depend on if you were going to eat lunch off ship or not. We only had drinks off ship and a few ice-creams.

I'd say we spent about £100 per couple off ship.. and that included taxis. But this was last yr.... so maybe no more than £200 per couple per week.

:) Hi sorry have not replied but have been away.Thanks for all the replies , suggestions and tips, Our Silver Anniversary on the 9th ( day at sea ) so are looking forward to this week to add to the event.Diane is curious as to the level of formal wear on the Captains night ?On the Emerald it was about 75 % formal ,so wondered if it is the same on the Celebration ? Thanks again Roy and Diane

• 4 months later...

Archived