Omar El Khayam ship

azcaptainbob

Glad everything worked out for you. Our friends cancelled their trip due to health problems. I have a favor to ask of you. I am starting to have serious reservations about the walking (length and difficulty) to the point I'm thinkiing of cancelling too. PLEASE, when you get back let me know how strenuous it was. You can reach me directly at Chydro564@yahoo.com Thanks.

I would be glad to share the trip with you regarding walking etc. But what is strenuous to one may not be to another. It might be wise to contact Vantage, Bob Wetherbee, Director of customer service, and express your concerns. If you have specific health problems I would let him know. Express what you feel are your limitations. This is a wonderful itinerary and of all the problems with Vantage with the ships no one has not stated that the sights, food, and guides were not just wonderful.

Since this is just the beginning of Oct. you might feel better to know now rather than wait till the end of Nov. to decide this is "more than you bargained for". If I can be of any assistance re: phone #'s etc. I'll be glad to help.

Just to keep you updated I spoke with the AG's office today and the complaint will not be closed until we get back. Even though everything looks good we are taking the necessary precautions.

Should anyone come back from a Vantage trip and report "diesel fuel" problems there will be real problems. I specifically emailed and spoke with their legal department regarding the negative effects on anyone's health. To me it would be negligent to ignore the customers well being. Additionally the issue of "diesel fuel" was raised with the BBB as well as the AG. The BBB complaint is still ongoing also.

As travelers who use these boards we all wish to help each other. The original posters probably had no idea their reports would benefit people booked on their itinerary with Vantage on future dates.

All in all I feel there have been positive in roads and it does appear that Vantage will be addressing many of the concerns I documented in my complaints. That is all anyone can ask.

So now I am ready to start packing.

Lucky you to be leaving so soon. I am just planning our trip for 2009. Will look forward to your trip report when you return. Have a wonderful time. Enjoy every minute of your trip and hope all goes well. We have been on several Vantage trips, the last one to Croatia, and they have been wonderful! Hope yours is the same.

micked10

When are you going MickD? We leave on Jan. 18 and return on Feb. 6...we took the Jordan add on to see Petra.

AZBob.....have a wonderful time, get busy packing and let us all know how it was. I don't have any serious health issues that I'm really worried about. Problem is I broke my ankle in 3 places last Jan. and it still gives me some trouble walking....I have boots that my orthopod recommended that help but I cannot walk as fast as some others and I have to stop and rest more often. (30 extra pounds don't help either!)

Hi HydroKitty,

I don't think we will be going until Oct. of 2009, which seems like such a long time to wait. We have committed to renting a house in Fl. for Feb. and March of 2009 ( To get away from our cold Missouri winters) and then after that it is too hot for Egypt so it looks like oct. of 2009 will be the best.

I have been looking into Maupintours but their 2009 brochure is not out yet and when I called they said they are thinking of doing individual tours only. We would prefer a small group because you get to met so many interesting people. When I heard Uniworld was coming out with a new ship that is all-suites I am sort of leaning that way.

I think you will be okay with your ankle problem. Usually the group is walking pretty slow anyway because of the guides explanations.

I will be so interested in hearing bout your trip. Have a wonderful time.

micked10

My understanding is all the vantage passengers are assigned a standard room. It would be nice to upgrade as the suites look wonderful.

I have given Vantage enough grief they probably hope I fall over board...just kidding!! It was really nice of Vantage to send all those pictures. In fact I forwarded them to our friends traveling with us and she said her black and white dress would blend so well with the dining room we probably wouldn't find her...black and white camoflauge!! Now the dress is not going with! What a great excuse to go shopping and find another dress!

Have to find out what is the color scheme on the Crowne Jubilee's dining room...will keep you posted!

Like we need an excuse to buy a new dress!!!!!;)

When we were on the Odyssey they had two dress up nights: Welcome dinner and Farewell Dinner....most people wore dressy type jeans (black, white, beige) with fancy tops. Mine were pin striped jeans with a white beaded top....and the men wore chinos and collared shirts. It's such a long trip, I can't see taking up space in the suitcase for a dress and all that goes with it...

I think I'd be careful looking over the side of the ship if I were you!!!!:D :D

Thanks for the pix, they were great. Unfortunately I was unable to download the itinerary....tried 3x....computer said no....but I have spoken to someone who comes from Cairo and knows me pretty well and he says I'll be fine. It is what it is, if I can't climb something or walk somewhere, I'll go as far as I can, sit down and wait for the others to come back.. I enjoy just watching the people and absorbing the atmosphere.

Hydrokitty,

I don't know the name of the gadget, it is a cane/chair all in one. They run about 25 - $35. Apparently very light as well and some people have found them very useful, for those who need a bit of aid/security in walking or tire when standing too long, it has a little seat.

I did a search on the net and they look like it might be some help for you as well.

We have friends whose 92 year old father did this trip. Mind you, he did not go on all the tours, but he had a wonderful time. He was so cute. He said, he was surprised how tired the touring made him! He also went in summer when the temperatures were brutal. So having said that, I think this cruise has something for everyone. :)

Archived