Key West Port

KW has been dropped from the 2/26 Grandeur, and we have cancelled the cruise. The KW was the main reason for picking that ship/itin, as we have never been there.:mad:

I am waiting on my refund, and looks like we will be going back to the Bahamas that week.

Cut a port stop due to fuel costs:confused: How does that make sense...if they don't port and spend a day at sea that burns more fuel....only savings would mean they spend a night at a port and don't move, skipping a stop.

On our Ultimate Alaska cruise last Sept. we had to cruise at full speed (25 + knots) for over 24 hrs. from Sitka, AK to Surge Narrows, which is between Vancouver Island and mainland BC, in order to pass the narrows at high tide which is the only time a large ship can go through there. If this wasn't done the ship would have to take the much longer route on the Pacific side of Vancouver Island. The captain advised that it would be a very rough ride because of that speed and also mentioned that at that speed the ship would use twice the amount of fuel than a normal cruising speed since it required both gas turbines engines to operate full out. If the speed was 18 knots or less this could be done with one engine only. After the narrow the ship slowed down to around 16 knots for the rest of to trip to Seattle, our next port.

The mega ships are much more fuel efficient per passenger. Bigger ships make more sense in terms of profit, fuel usage, and the environment.

Another myth.....while it may be more "fuel efficient" than some others, it will use much, more fuel to accomplish the same thing due to it's size.

Imagine, if you will, a hurricane or tropical storm preventing these mega-monstrosities from porting or even heading towards the half-dozen islands they plan to visit.

What happens then? A 7-day cruise to nowhere? 7 days at sea? Certainly can't tender anywhere with 5200 people onboard.......

These ships are are foolish, in my opinion...to which I am entitled.:rolleyes:

Archived