Cozumel trip report

Susan Thompson

We just returned from our cruise and I thought I'd write a trip report. There were six of us and no one really wanted to be designated driver, so we hired a van and driver. We found him just at the end of the pier. He had a 12 person van, but I don't see how we would have gotten 12 people in that van, but anyway. He charged us $160.00 for all day. Our mission was to bar hop all the way around the island and also do some snorkling. From recommendation from Cozsally our first stop was Dzul-Ha. Because it was very early the bar/resturant was closed, and we were the first ones there. the snorkling was wonderful, we all had a great time. Then on to Playa Corona, we stopped there because it to is also on a reef to snorkle. We sat at a beautiful table under a palapa roof. This was our first margarita stop. The margarita was great served with a Hibisus flower as decoration, beautiful! We also ordered two plates of guacamole and chips. We shorkled but there wasen't much to see. Very disapointing. We were having a great time untill we got our bill and freaked because the guacamole was $7.00 a plate, margaritas were $6.00 and they charged us $2.00 for snorkling! On top of that they miss added our bill and charged us $4.00 more than what our bill should have been. After much arguing, we gave up, paid our bill and left, much wiser. Next stop, Mr Sanchos. Great place on the beach, perfect for swimming and relaxing. Although you have to walk past a mall of venders to get to the beach. We had a nice swim and one more margarita and we moved along. Next was the other side of the island, Freedom Paradise, a rasta bar with jamaican music. Great view with a lookout, hammocks are hung everywhere. Great place to relax and listen to the waves we even played in the waves. Then it was on to Coconuts. Located on the highest part of the island. Very tropical and a great view. The music was great! This is where we had lunch, fish tacos and chichen fajitas, they were yummy and the margaritas were big and good! Our last stop, Mezcalito's. Very beautiful part of the beach. Hammocks hung right on the beach...we needed hammocks by now! The margarita was very strong, but good. It was now time to head back to the ship. we payed our driver, stopped by the duty free shop and went back to the ship 10 minutes late (from the boarding time), two other guys got on and they pulled in the gang plank! Whew, that was close! We all had a great time. This was the favorite port for some of our party.

Susan,

I'm glad to hear you made it back to the ship!

Are you going to write about your excursions of any of your other port boards? I've been waiting to hear what you did in Costa Maya.

Susan

Explorer of the Seas 01/30/05

Yes I plan on posting about Costa Maya also. Later today.

I'm not sure of the drivers company name, he was holding up a sign for Tours....12 pax van, at the end of the pier. We docked at the International Pier.

We didn't mean to cut it so close, we really weren't worried because the ship was 30 minutes late leaving the last port, waiting on 4 guys, so we figured we had a few minutes extra. At Cozumel we actually left the dock 5 minutes early. I guess because everyone was on board.

Hmmm... just so you know, cruiseships are not known for waiting on anybody. If they did wait for someone, it must have been someone very important. Cutting it close is not a good idea. Every day people get left behind by their ship here in Cozumel. Then that person (or party) has to fly to the next port or fly home. It's a major hassle, major expense. Don't let this happen to YOU!

Cutting it close is not a good idea. It's a major hassle, major expense. Don't let this happen to YOU!

Sally, you are sooooo right. Imagine being in a foreign country without your passport and trying to fly somewhere on a plane.

Archived