2 yo Legend - Western Caribbean

CCParrott

Hi,

We have been on 2 cruises before without the baby but this time we decided to bring our DD, we will be going in March 2009 and she will be 25 months at the time.

Ports include, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Rotan, and Belize.

I have 2 questions.

First, can anyone suggest excursions that they have been on with a small child at these ports? One of the excursions I was looking at was the semi submersive.

Secondly, in regards to car seats. If I take a cab at these ports, do I need a car seat? If I take one of the tours and they have a bus, do I need a car seat?

Thank you in advance.

CC

As far as excursions - we discuss Belize here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=808378

And in Cozumel I can tell you that I personally was not impressed with Playa Mia so next time we are going to try Paradise Beach.

Grand Caymen - there is the Turtle Farm or a beach trip to 7 mile beach. Most like to go swimming with stingrays in Grand Caymen but that means keeping the child on the boat and handing him off from one parent to another.

Car Seats - yes you will want a car seat. If you use one at home, then you will no doubt want one in a Taxi in the Caribbean. Most of those taxi rides are an adventure. :eek: ;)

If you take an excursion bus, then no, you can't use a car seat onboard the bus. But in a taxi or excursion shuttle van, then you need a car seat. Some suggestions are on this thread....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=819965

We did Playa Mia Deluxe excursion on the Inspiration last May when DH and I went with out the baby. The pool was nice to have but the food lacked flavor and variety IMO.

Also, the bus ride back, many people had drank way to much and one of the young guys kept standing up screaming and fell into some friends we met on the ship and gave the wife a big bruise on her face with his elbow. Definately not a kid friendly excursion.

We where definately thinking about taking a cab to one of the beaches this year. Does Paradise have a pool also?

We where thinking about the turtle farm, did kayaking and snorkling last time which also would not be good with a 2 yo.

CCParrot--

We were on the Carnival Legend last year and had a great time. It's a fun ship!

We have also been to the ports you listed, and can suggest the following:

GRAND CAYMAN--once you tender over to land, there will be many people with over sized van/bus vehicles offering rides to the beach. We did that last time, and went to Sea Grape Beach. Beautiful smooth, soft sand...a little refreshment stand...covered pavilion...no large waves. It was nice--check out the picture. It was totally tropical.

DSCF4730.jpg

ANother time we went to GC we took a private tour that did a number of things: 1) island overview 2) Hell 3) Turtle Farm (see other thread for pics) 4) a visit to Stingray Sandbar. Because we were on a private tour, we were on a smaller boat, all by ourselves, and had the stingrays to ourselves as well. My DD was barely 3 at the time, and we took turns holding her in the water. We were never once afraid since the water was only waist deep (on us), and in places my DS (then 5) could also stand. FUN! Here are a few pics so you could see how shallow it was.

IMG_1789.jpg

IMGP1217.jpg

I highly recommend private tours if you have kids. Private tour drivers are much more flexible, and able to tailor their tour toward your young ones.

Belize--Check out that other thread for lots of ideas. We took the River/Ruins tour, which involved a flat-boat ride up a river (slowly), lunch, and then a bus ride to the Altun-Ha ruins. It was VERY hot at the ruins, and at times we REALLY needed to keep an eye on the kids due to the "danger" factor of the ruins. But, we would do it again in a heartbeat! There are pics in that other Belize thread as well.

COZUMEL--we usually go to Paradise Beach. Nice beach, lots of chairs, good food/drink menu, and water toys for a price. Here we are chilling on a raft. You can see there are very few waves here too.

IMG_1106.jpg

ROATAN--have been, but have no recommendations....Sorry.

Archived