Renewing vows in Italy

paulred

Does anyone know anything about vow renewal ceremonies in Italy? We are on the Solstice to Rome this coming spring, and will be spending time in Florence, Venice and Rome. I've seen a lot of sites that mention this, but few have actual details.

has anyone done this, and how is it arranged?

thanks

Paul

If vow renewal follows anything along the actual original I'd say a small Catholic renewal in a church would be fairly simple. Italy requires a legal ceremony of matrimony but not a religious service to be considered married. Considering it takes about 4 weeks of paperwork plus bans posted for 3 weeks, which as foreigners we had waived, for the legal service; I would think a vow renewal service will require a copy, probably translated, of your marriage certificate. If either person has been divorced before and the marriage not annulled a church wedding is also out.

I doubt city magistrates do vow renewals. They do the official legal ones. I'd talk to your TA and if no answers show up try your local Catholic church. I doubt that the few protestant churches will do renewals for tourists other than possibly Anglicans in Rome as they have a large UK based Anglican Communion there.

Yup, married in Rome by the city magistrate in that huge building on the right of the Capitoline Hill as you climb the stairs. Can't beat coming out into the piazza designed by Michelangelo after 4 weeks of go here, go there with 4 witnesses, go to this place with 2 witnesses, etc., and are finally married. No wonder Italians have a low divorce rate. If you're not right for each other the paperwork will break you up. LOL

Good luck and hope it works for both couples.

Archived