San Juan Sheraton

Cokeman1959

I can answer part of your question ...

If your ship is departing from Pier 4 in Old San Juan, then, yes, the Sheraton is near the pier ... it's right across the street - you can walk to the ship from the Sheraton in a few minutes. This map should give you some orientation.

If your ship is departing from the Pan American pier on the south side of San Juan Bay, then, no, the Sheraton probably isn't the best choice for you. Hotels closer to that pier are the Normandie, the Caribe Hilton, or those at the western end of El Condado area. This map shows the PanAm pier and some of the nearby hotels. In any case, all hotels are a taxi-ride away from the PanAm pier.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ray, that helps quite a bit, especially the map. We've been in PR once on a short excursion when our ship was diverted there due to hurricane damage at another port a few years ago. I remember getting off the ship, and walking through town to the old fort which overlooked the ocean. I think that's about where your map shows. We would be leaving on Princess, so I'm guessing that's the right port.

Last January we stayed at the Marriott for 3 days and then the night before our cruise we moved to the Sheraton.

My thoughts are that the Sheraton (which was much more expensive than the Marriott) is not even close to the same level as the Marriott.

If you are looking for location only then go for the Sheraton. If you want a nice room with nice facilities go to the Marriott.

Sheraton, rooms much more depressing, beds uncomfortable, you can hear everyone walking in the hallway. Just thought it looked like an 80's Holiday Inn room.

We just returned from Puerto Rico and originally booked the Sheraton in Old Town. We changed to the Condado Plaza because our friends were staying there. The Condado is a 10 minute taxi ride from the docks across from the Sheraton. We stopped in the Sheraton to check it out and were not impressed at all the only good thing about the Sheraton was it is right across the street from the dock that Carnival was leaving from. On the other hand the Condada Plaza is just beautiful expecially if you get a chance to enjoy the pool area its a tropical paradise. The room was also very, very nice. I would recommend if you are there on a Saturday night that your room be up high due to the very loud dance club on the bottom level. We chose a room with a ocean view since it was only $20 more a night. We stayed here the night before our cruise and the night after we returned from our cruise. By the way if you get a chance to eat in Old Town I would highly recommend Aguaviva Restaurant. We saw it on the food channel Rachael Ray $40 a day show. You also can also find more info on her show by just typing Rachael Ray Puerto Rico into google. Have a great time we sure did.

Thanks Ray, that helps quite a bit, especially the map. We've been in PR once on a short excursion when our ship was diverted there due to hurricane damage at another port a few years ago. I remember getting off the ship, and walking through town to the old fort which overlooked the ocean. I think that's about where your map shows. We would be leaving on Princess, so I'm guessing that's the right port.

I don't know when you are going on your Princess cruise but you might check your paperwork. We are leaving in November and when we were able to print our boarding passes from Princess it says we will be leaving from the Pan Am pier.

Have a great cruise.

We have booked the Sheraton OSJ for one night totally due to the location. We are traveling with people seeing San Juan for the first time and wanted to have the convenience of being right in the heart of Old Town. I am not expecting much more than a place to sleep...but not having to take cabs to and from the Marriott does have its rewards.

We have stayed at the Marriott Stellaris and it is a lovely hotel. But being in the city is where it's at this time around. We scored a great deal on Hotwire for $109 per night and that's hard to beat.

We stay at the Sheraton every time that we cruise out of San Juan. We stay there for one reason: location, location, location. If you like to walk around old san juan, visit the forts, have access to great restaurants, bars, and nightlife, then it's a great place. You're not spending a week there, just one night in most cases. If a beach and pool seen are for you, then go to the Marriott or Caribe Hilton.

Archived