Smoking in Cabins

Rudolph38

Sail -

I know you and your DH love sitting at the Ocean Bar and we loved joining you there! I don't think we had anyone really bad (smoking wise) on the last cruise and as you know, my DH will sit at the end of the bar or move down to the end when he smokes... I see nothing wrong with you wanting to sit at the bar even though it is a smoking section - just as we sat in the lounge with WeLoveCruising. DH really tries to be considerate of non-smokers - even in smoking areas.

I honestly think that the ship will continue to reduce the smoking areas, and it doesn't bother DH that much as he knows I don't like to be around smoke either. In fact, reduced smoking areas may just be the trigger that finally helps him quit altogether.

I also understand what you are saying about the smell of some smokers. I think it has something to do with the brand - DH smokes very light cigarettes, Marlboro 100's Ultra Light and they don't seem to have the odor some of the stronger ones do. My BIL smoked Winstons before his heart attack (44 years old - a definite reason to quit!) and they smelled awful, imo.

'ekerr'..... I hope you saw my post saying that your DH is the absolute most considerate smoker we have ever been around. He twisted himself like a pretzel being courteous to not disturb anyone with his cigarette. Even when we assured him it wasn't bothering us, he still would not smoke nearby. A REAL gentleman. Can't wait to see you both again in the spring....if not before. :)

Sincerely hope your B-I-L is doing well. How frightening to have a heart attack so young.

'ekerr'..... I hope you saw my post saying that your DH is the absolute most considerate smoker we have ever been around. He twisted himself like a pretzel being courteous to not disturb anyone with his cigarette. Even when we assured him it wasn't bothering us, he still would not smoke nearby. A REAL gentleman. Can't wait to see you both again in the spring....if not before. :)

Sincerely hope your B-I-L is doing well. How frightening to have a heart attack so young.

Thanks Sail! You'll see us - we're booked and deposit paid! I tried booking the Oasis, but I'm waitlisted. We did get it for the upcoming Rotterdam cruise though. Now we just have to meet 8-10 people the first day, as our roll call is dead. :D We don't mind paying for it - just like to have other fun folks around...

Sail -

I know you and your DH love sitting at the Ocean Bar and we loved joining you there! I don't think we had anyone really bad (smoking wise) on the last cruise and as you know, my DH will sit at the end of the bar or move down to the end when he smokes... I see nothing wrong with you wanting to sit at the bar even though it is a smoking section - just as we sat in the lounge with WeLoveCruising. DH really tries to be considerate of non-smokers - even in smoking areas.

I honestly think that the ship will continue to reduce the smoking areas, and it doesn't bother DH that much as he knows I don't like to be around smoke either. In fact, reduced smoking areas may just be the trigger that finally helps him quit altogether.

I also understand what you are saying about the smell of some smokers. I think it has something to do with the brand - DH smokes very light cigarettes, Marlboro 100's Ultra Light and they don't seem to have the odor some of the stronger ones do. My BIL smoked Winstons before his heart attack (44 years old - a definite reason to quit!) and they smelled awful, imo.

Ekerr, your DH and you can sit by me anytime! We loved cruising with you guys. We're hoping to join you and Sail on the Maasdam, but cant commit yet. My DH isnt working for HAL any more :eek: :eek: so we have to see what happens. I heard your son K is away, we have to catch up!

Joanne

Ekerr, your DH and you can sit by me anytime! We loved cruising with you guys. We're hoping to join you and Sail on the Maasdam, but cant commit yet. My DH isnt working for HAL any more :eek: :eek: so we have to see what happens. I heard your son K is away, we have to catch up!

Joanne

We'd love to sail with you again :) - and yes, we need to catch up!!!!:eek:

I got a call from DS in bootcamp the other night and almost died... I REALLY miss him. We're also very proud of him.

I am so SICK of these people that are allways complaining about the smell of the smoke in thier rooms when they enter...I am NOT smoker...I have sailed appr. 40 + sailings....Not once did I enter a new room and/or suite that there was the smell of smoke....These few very loud complainers are the same ones that will take liberties away from others just to have thier own way

Again, I repeat that I AM NOT A SMOKER...if some other person is smoking in a smoking area and it bothers me, I move...If the person is smoking in a non-smoking area, I would ask him to stop and I am sure that he or she would.

This B-S about the smoke bothering people sitting on the Veranda is also a lot of BULL.. One persons small amt. of smoke while the Ship is moving in no way can bother any one normal person

For years Ships alowed smoking on one side and it never bothered, well adjusted people..........But in this day of age...a small and loud vocal group of people can dictate thier wishes on others.

AGAIN< I REPEAT I AM NOT A SMOKER....

Mot Neil

The only sensible solution I can think of that might please smokers as well as non-smokers, is for HAL to ban all indoor smoking, except for the Oak Room where they still exist, and allow smoking only on open decks and verandahs which are never that far away. I am hoping that if I were still a smoker that this idea would still have seemed a good one to me.

As bad as the leftover odor of stale smoke in a cabin can be, at least something can be done (usually) to rid the cabin of odor, even if that is a difficult process sometimes.

If we have to make a choice (temporarily, I believe), the verandah smoke is much more troublesome to us than the cabin smoke, and we will not cruise on any line or on any ship which permits smoking on the verandahs.

I do agree with the rest of your post. One smoking room and some designated places on public decks ought to keep smokers very happy. It's much more than they have now on land.

I am so SICK of these people that are allways complaining about the smell of the smoke in thier rooms when they enter...I am NOT smoker...I have sailed appr. 40 + sailings....Not once did I enter a new room and/or suite that there was the smell of smoke....These few very loud complainers are the same ones that will take liberties away from others just to have thier own way

Again, I repeat that I AM NOT A SMOKER...if some other person is smoking in a smoking area and it bothers me, I move...If the person is smoking in a non-smoking area, I would ask him to stop and I am sure that he or she would.

This B-S about the smoke bothering people sitting on the Veranda is also a lot of BULL.. One persons small amt. of smoke while the Ship is moving in no way can bother any one normal person

For years Ships alowed smoking on one side and it never bothered, well adjusted people..........But in this day of age...a small and loud vocal group of people can dictate thier wishes on others.

Mot Neil

I have not smoked since 1973, and my DW since 2001. I found that I am more likely not to be bothered by smoke residue than DW. However, I have noticed in the last year she is not as sensitive to it. In my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions) I think people who have just quit smoking are more sensitive to the linguring smell than those that have never smoked or quit sometime ago.

That said we have never gone into a cabin that smelt of smoke, Sewage yes smoke no. And the sewage smell was corrected in a matter of hours.

Mot Neil

Alrighty then:rolleyes: . Are you a smoker....not sure you've established that enough:rolleyes: .

Again, I repeat that I AM NOT A SMOKER...

Mot Neil

are you absolutely, positively without any question sure you're not a smoker:)

as for the B-S, remember: one person's B-S could be another person's smoke:D

as a non-smoker:eek:, I cannot agree with your statement that smoke on a veranda doesn't travel and impact non-smokers .. smoke does travel and can be extremely annoying to non-smokers

and I'm not blowing smoke:eek:

[quote name='WeLoveCruising']Hi Peggy :)

Any more cruises lately? We're going on the Maasdam next week.[/quote]

We're on the Dream on 10/26. After that, Joe wants to go on the Gem (in January), but we haven't booked yet.. I wanted to wait until March and go on the Noordam again, but flying is SUCH a hassle! I wish HAL would bring a ship back to NYC!!!

Archived