US Customs on Canada/NE cruise?

Bunkie103

We just got off the Dream and loved it. Customs was done before you got off the ship at Bar Harbor. You have to go through customs after you have been to a foreign port before you can go on land in the US.

We just got off the Dream and loved it. Customs was done before you got off the ship at Bar Harbor. You have to go through customs after you have been to a foreign port before you can go on land in the US.

customs or immigration? did they look at your passport that is immigration ...did you fill out a customs declaration and hand it to them? that is customs not normally done until the last port...

I'm just wondering, if I purchase gifts for my DD who lives in Boston, will I be allowed to take them off the ship and give them to her when we meet her for lunch? It would be easier than mailing them to her.:confused: I would still declare them for customs when we get back to Philly.

I'm just wondering, if I purchase gifts for my DD who lives in Boston, will I be allowed to take them off the ship and give them to her when we meet her for lunch? It would be easier than mailing them to her.:confused: I would still declare them for customs when we get back to Philly.

They probably won't stop you. Gifts of less than $25 are not dutiable anyway. You will need to declare them although no one does....

when you have to go through customes...don't try to rush to get to the line. People who arrived when the "daily" told them ended up waiting over an hour in line.:eek: Enjoy breakfast and check occasionally what the line looks like. We docked in Boston around 8:30 and cleared customes around 10. When we went up to customes at 10 o'clock it took us all of 10 minutes. Don't get scared by the "early line people" Relax in the morning.

Clearing customs in Boston last Saturday at the conclusion of our Jewel of the Seas, transatlantic cruise, consisted of handing our customs declaration form to a Customs official when we stepped off the gangway from the ship and entered Black Falcon. No one ever asked to see our passports. We were off the ship, had located our luggage and were on our way home before 9:15 am. Easiest debarkation we have ever experienced.:)

I'm glad it was easy for you. But it's a little scary to me that they didn't ask for any documents. Any one else thinking about that?

As stated before, immigration has already cleared the ship when it re-entered US waters. After that it's just cruising internally. The Customs people are just checking for contraband

As stated before, immigration has already cleared the ship when it re-entered US waters. After that it's just cruising internally. The Customs people are just checking for contraband

Actually, Boston was the first and only port in the US that we entered so any clearance by US immigration officials had to be based on the information in the ship's manifest. At no time did US officials physically check our passports from the time we boarded the ship in Harwich, England until we reached the US and no one checked them upon our arrival in Boston.:) The Customs agent at the pier in Boston merely took our Customs Declaration and added it to the pile already in his hands without even looking at it.

Archived