Just Back-Paradise Beach Review

momma5

We just got back from Paradise Beach (we visited it on 9/14/08). Here's my 2 cents.

We took a taxi there ($25 total for 7 people-not bad)

The staff was great, very friendly and helpful

Facilities were nice and clean

The beach was not so great..the sand (if you call it that) was very rough and shelly not soft at all. The water area was very rocky when you first get in the ocean- BRING WATER SHOES IF YOU GO! We didn't and our feet were hurting.

The water in the ocean was not so great...very murky water for the carribean. It wasn't dirty-just in an area with lots of sea grass and rocks so it looked more brown than clear.

The activities were great! The water trampolines, rock climbing wall, kayaks, etc were lots of fun. The snorkeling was not so great only saw a couple of fish, but it was fine for our kids who have never snorkeled before

Would I go back? Probably not, We had fun & I liked the facilities and activities but the beach itself and water didn't live up to the name of paradise beach!

We just got back from Paradise Beach (we visited it on 9/14/08). Here's my 2 cents.

We took a taxi there ($25 total for 7 people-not bad)

The staff was great, very friendly and helpful

Facilities were nice and clean

The beach was not so great..the sand (if you call it that) was very rough and shelly not soft at all. The water area was very rocky when you first get in the ocean- BRING WATER SHOES IF YOU GO! We didn't and our feet were hurting.

The water in the ocean was not so great...very murky water for the carribean. It wasn't dirty-just in an area with lots of sea grass and rocks so it looked more brown than clear.

The activities were great! The water trampolines, rock climbing wall, kayaks, etc were lots of fun. The snorkeling was not so great only saw a couple of fish, but it was fine for our kids who have never snorkeled before

Would I go back? Probably not, We had fun & I liked the facilities and activities but the beach itself and water didn't live up to the name of paradise beach!

I was there on Sept 16th and I totally agree with you!! I thought I was the only one here on CC who wasn't thrilled with PB. We had 14 in our party. They tried to make the adults buy the bracelet. They said we had to. I asked again and explained what I had heard and then they agreed and only sold it to the kids. The kids did have fun and everything was clean ect. It was the water and beach itself that we did not like.

It isn't that others don't experience this as well...it is simply that folks that go to Cozumel a lot (like us) know that it is the same with ALL the beach resorts.

All the beach resorts are on the West side. This side faces the mainland...so there is no heavy wave action to break down the rocks into silky sand.

Also since it is a vitural "channel" with land on both sides...when the weather stirs up the sediment...the water can be murky.

Luckily this does not happen all the time...but all the beach resorts have the same sand and the same water.

Now there is the East side that is more primitive which DOES get heavy wave action and has soft sand...but you can't swim because the currents are so strong. That is why there are no resorts over there. (that and the fact there is no electricity for things like pools etc) There are a few bars and restaurants over there that run on generators and truck in their ice etc.

We have been to Paradise Beach when it was murky and when it was clear as a bell. The weather determines that.

Also, folks that go to Cozumel a lot also know that beach snorkeling is not ideal in Cozumel. For the best snorkeling, you must go to the reefs.

Chankanaab Park has a manmade area that gives the best beach snorkeling...but it is still not as good as the reefs.

This is good info to have for your next trip to Cozumel. Since we have gone as many as 5 times a year, it is clearly our favorite port!!! :)

Thanks for the review Momma. It will be our first trip to Cozumel and Paradise Beach in two weeks so it is good to level-set expectations. I won't promise white 'California-soft' sand to my kids. We will definitely pack the water shoes. Hopefully the toys will more than make up for it. Two quick questions if I may:

* Was the $25 for the taxi each way, or was that round-trip? There are five of us so I am curious.

* Did you each have to consume $10 worth of food/drinks to get a beach chair or does the $10 bracelet for the toys count towards your consumption? I don't think we could eat $50 worth of food, but we are planning on the bracelets for our 3 kids. Does that mean we will be OK with only $20 worth of food and we can each still have our own chair?

Thanks for the review Momma. It will be our first trip to Cozumel and Paradise Beach in two weeks so it is good to level-set expectations. I won't promise white 'California-soft' sand to my kids. We will definitely pack the water shoes. Hopefully the toys will more than make up for it. Two quick questions if I may:

* Was the $25 for the taxi each way, or was that round-trip? There are five of us so I am curious.

* Did you each have to consume $10 worth of food/drinks to get a beach chair or does the $10 bracelet for the toys count towards your consumption? I don't think we could eat $50 worth of food, but we are planning on the bracelets for our 3 kids. Does that mean we will be OK with only $20 worth of food and we can each still have our own chair?

Taxis are $12-15 one way for up to 4 people. (We have gotten a van for $18 for 5 people.)

I know about sand....my youngest son has Autism and he is a "sand expert". He can tell you that the worst is at Mangos in Cabo San Lucas...second worst Puerto Vallarta and the best is in Playa Del Carman. The beach resorts in Cozumel run somewhere inbetween.

The main thing when you get to Paradise Beach is to relax and have a good time. Tom and his staff want you to enjoy a wonderful day at the beach without stressing. They want you to feel at home!

Just walk up... tell the waiters that you will be selecting your chairs and when you get settled ...let them know how many wristbands you want.

The drinks and food are safe and very good. They also have sodas and bottled water for the youngsters.

Have a great day!!

The $25 was what we were told was a flat rate each way, so it really cost us $50 total round trip for 7 people (plus a tip), we caught the taxi on the street outside the shopping mall area as the quotes for taxi's there was as much as $80 round trip.

We were told the beach and chairs are free but they want you to at least order something if you don't get the wristbands. We all got the bands and enjoyed all the toys. We had great food and service and didn't spend $50 on food. My kids (3 of them) spilt a pizza and there was plenty for all of them and the price was reasonable.

Hope this helps

Enjoy your trip & don't forget the water shoes:)

Hi guys! To set the record straight: The purchase of wristbands does not count towards the $10USD food or drink (not just food) minimum. However, in Low Season we don't really enforce it if you've at least bought a little bit to help us meet payroll! ;) Rocks: yes, we have rocky sections (thanks Hurricane Wilma:() BUT ALSO a large stretch of sand entrance in front of the beach toys.

The beach itself has more shells than usual after the passing of Hurricane Ike, whose waves barfed up all kinds of interesting stuff. Including tiles from our original bathrooms which were eaten by Wilma 3 years ago! We are steadily clearing this out as the night shift sifts the beach. We'll be back to normal in another week or so.

Yes, the sand itself is coarse. This is normal on the west side. You want powdery sand, go to the east side where the waves pound and grind it down. Of course, there's a fierce rip current which makes it unsafe for swimming most days, so there's your trade-off.

The water can be clear or can be murky. Obviously this changes with the weather. Of course it's cleared up from Ike now, and of course we only have about 30 people on the whole beach today!

Thanks to the other posters whose points I've repeated in my post...:)

Hi guys! To set the record straight: The purchase of wristbands does not count towards the $10USD food or drink (not just food) minimum. However, in Low Season we don't really enforce it if you've at least bought a little bit to help us meet payroll! ;) Rocks: yes, we have rocky sections (thanks Hurricane Wilma:() BUT ALSO a large stretch of sand entrance in front of the beach toys.

The beach itself has more shells than usual after the passing of Hurricane Ike, whose waves barfed up all kinds of interesting stuff. Including tiles from our original bathrooms which were eaten by Wilma 3 years ago! We are steadily clearing this out as the night shift sifts the beach. We'll be back to normal in another week or so.

Yes, the sand itself is coarse. This is normal on the west side. You want powdery sand, go to the east side where the waves pound and grind it down. Of course, there's a fierce rip current which makes it unsafe for swimming most days, so there's your trade-off.

The water can be clear or can be murky. Obviously this changes with the weather. Of course it's cleared up from Ike now, and of course we only have about 30 people on the whole beach today!

How dare Hurricane Ike "barf" on your beach. Sometimes Mother Nature has no manners!!!!!

Thanks Tom, see you SOON!!!!

Hey am I the only one that goes to PB just to see Tom :) I could care less how rocky the beach is just give me a chair, some sun and a cold drink and I am golden :) Oh yeah and a gentle reminder that I do have to get back on the ship by 6 ;)

Archived