Stock Obc Not Combinable Anymore

jmezmom

Ok, so you sound like part of the problem don't you!:p Bidding for the highest OBC.

I have no problem with people taking advantage of perks that are made available. I also have no problem with the cruise line restricting how many perks one is permitted to take advantage of and in no way would them setting restrictions impact any future plans I have to cruise with them.

That's so happy awesome that you own exactly 100 shares. However, I guess you're the type that would buy 110 shares or 163 shares if that were the minimum requirement. But that's me guessing. :D

Its amazing how perceptive you think you are.:D

I do question your idea of totally ethical. Onboard Credit to me means Credit to be used when Onboard for spending Onboard for things/services Onboard. I do not think Onboard Credit means money the cruise line owes me that I can pocket and take home if I want.

Actually, I agree with you 100% on this and apparently I missed your meaning. As long as the OBC is used on board, there is nothing wrong with using a benefit the company has made available.

To me, that smacks of someone scamming the system. But I guess I don't think the way some people do. I don't walk about thinking "how to take advantage" of something.

Agreed.

With the re-wording I quoted earlier... it looks like they've clarified their intentions. "Not redeemable for cash" and "any unused credit shall be forfeited" are phrases further spelling out what I'm saying.

It's not jealously, it's called being appalled at other's actions.

When the benefits are not being used as intended, I agree.

That's so happy awesome that you own exactly 100 shares. However, I guess you're the type that would buy 110 shares or 163 shares if that were the minimum requirement. But that's me guessing. :D

Its amazing how perceptive you think you are.:D

I do question your idea of totally ethical. Onboard Credit to me means Credit to be used when Onboard for spending Onboard for things/services Onboard. I do not think Onboard Credit means money the cruise line owes me that I can pocket and take home if I want.

Actually, I agree with you 100% on this and apparently I missed your meaning. As long as the OBC is used on board, there is nothing wrong with using a benefit the company has made available.

To me, that smacks of someone scamming the system. But I guess I don't think the way some people do. I don't walk about thinking "how to take advantage" of something.

Agreed.

With the re-wording I quoted earlier... it looks like they've clarified their intentions. "Not redeemable for cash" and "any unused credit shall be forfeited" are phrases further spelling out what I'm saying.

It's not jealously, it's called being appalled at other's actions.

When the benefits are not being used as intended, I agree.

Who are you responding to?

Before anybody makes a wacky comment that RCL stock is down today because of all the "Loyal to Royal" passengers dumping 100 shares and cancelling cruises let me clarify that the reason the stock is down is because an analyst at Deutsche Bank downgraded Carnival to a sell (largely because of the impact of fuel prices and increased ship building expenses) and his rationale for downgrading Carnival also applies to Royal Caribbean. :cool:

Looks like Princess has the best benefit package but you need 16 cruises.

To be correct it is 16 cruises or 150 Cruise Days. If you take longer cruises you get there faster.

Do not get upset.... there is a lot of "mis-information" being presented and repeated.... At this time the shareholder credit is still being applied! I cannot (will not) predict the future... but right now RCI/RCCL has not taken that benefit away! Please call and confirm this (or ask your TA to do so) with Royal... I am sure all posters are just trying to inform and stay informed... but on this one verify facts with the Company before getting stressed.

Remember the effective date of this change is July 1, 2008. That means that any Booking, OBC or discount after that date could be retroactively removed with the enforcement of this change. Poof.. it is all gone.

Because I have attained Elite status with Princess, it will be very easy for me to leave Royal Caribbean. With the cuts being made by RCI in all the past passenger perks it is becoming more attractive to cruise with Princess, and it makes their past passenger benefits more attractive.

Just to set the record straight Princess will honor a price reduction after final payment as long as it is not "for new bookings only", the same rule RCI uses.

I am curious; do the people speaking about leaving Royal Caribbean for Princess not think that Carnival Corporation will implement similar changes in the near future? CCL has less debt per equity than RCL and is a much larger company, but they too have been hurting financially of late and are dealing with much higher costs. CCL also announced recently that bookings are somewhat down from last year's pace. IMHO CCL will also be putting similar changes into affect as RCL has recently begun to do. The choice likely will not end up be leaving Royal Caribbean for another mass market cruise line, but dealing with the cut backs, finding an entriely different type of vacation, or paying up for a luxury cruise line.

We booked a Celebrity cruise this morning and were told we would get both the advance booking credit for booking on a previous cruise (open jaw) discount as well as the RCI shareholder OBC. Let's hope we continue to receive the credits that we have, in effect, paid for. Our loyalty should be important to RCI and our on-board credits never come very close to the amount of our Sea Pass account. In effect, the OBCs cover our gratituities and couple of drinks.

I am curious; do the people speaking about leaving Royal Caribbean for Princess not think that Carnival Corporation will implement similar changes in the near future? CCL has less debt per equity than RCL and is a much larger company, but they too have been hurting financially of late and are dealing with much higher costs. CCL also announced recently that bookings are somewhat down from last year's pace. IMHO CCL will also be putting similar changes into affect as RCL has recently begun to do. The choice likely will not end up be leaving Royal Caribbean for another mass market cruise line, but dealing with the cut backs, finding an entriely different type of vacation, or paying up for a luxury cruise line.

Try it, you may like it

Our loyalty should be important to RCI and our on-board credits never come close to the amount of our Sea Pass account. In effect, the OBCs cover our gratituities and and couple of drinks.

That's exactly what I had said previously in another post as our OBC pretty much covers tips and a few extra things and that's it. We always book shore excursions thru RCL for the security of knowing they won't leave us at port if there was a delay which totals way above any OBC we may have received.

Try it, you may like it

Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side (at least until you start mowing it, then you realize it's the same!):D

I only said that because I too believe other cruiselines will start following the same cutbacks even if they're not doing it today.

How does this affect the redeeming of points on the Celebrity or RCCL credit cards? Each time I cruise I redeem points for an OBC, in fact I was getting ready to redeem 5000 pts. on my Celebrity AMEX card for a $50 OBC for my upcoming cruise on the Constellation. Of course, this is in addition of the SHB and the OBC I got for booking on board.

So what does everyone think - does the OBC from the X & RC credit card points come under that new wording also?

How does this affect the redeeming of points on the Celebrity or RCCL credit cards? Each time I cruise I redeem points for an OBC, in fact I was getting ready to redeem 5000 pts. on my Celebrity AMEX card for a $50 OBC for my upcoming cruise on the Constellation. Of course, this is in addition of the SHB and the OBC I got for booking on board.

So what does everyone think - does the OBC from the X & RC credit card points come under that new wording also?

The CC points are totally separate from the other OBC's. The CC company is actually paying the money for the credit, not the cruise line. It has to be an offer from the cruise line that is not combinable, unless I am totally wrong on this.

We booked a Celebrity cruise this morning and were told we would get both the advance booking credit for booking on a previous cruise (open jaw) discount as well as the RCI shareholder OBC. Let's hope we continue to receive the credits that we have, in effect, paid for. Our loyalty should be important to RCI and our on-board credits never come very close to the amount of our Sea Pass account. In effect, the OBCs cover our gratituities and couple of drinks.

Hello Bill and Sandy

Hope you are BOTH feeling better... sorry we did not see you anywhere the last few days.

FYI we also just booked a X cruise - 9 day Pacific and were told we would also get ALL OBC and Stock Benefit credits. I will wait and see for confirmation. I see that some have been CASHING in the OBC's - never had that option as our account was always much higher! Hope all is well!

Terry

Just wanted to pass along some information. I received an email from shareholder services because I wrote to them and asked if I had a TA credit and credit card rewards credit would I be entitled to the stock credit.

They replied that yes I would. So it seems the new restriction is definately for balcony and early booking type of credits.

Good luck to all

I told you I would let you know my results for Shareholder OBC. Just got my confirmation that it had been applied to my reservations.

So here is what I booked - a OV on Monarch for next July and a balcony for 2010 on Oasis. Got the OBC for booking onboard at time of booking. Got the Diamond Discount on Oasis. YEsterday I sent in for my Shareholder OBC on each cruise.

Today I got confirmation they have been applied. So right now at least, regardless of what the site says, they are allowing the Shareholder OBC to be combined with other types of OBC's.

Hope that helps.

Just wanted to pass along some information. I received an email from shareholder services because I wrote to them and asked if I had a TA credit and credit card rewards credit would I be entitled to the stock credit.

They replied that yes I would. So it seems the new restriction is definately for balcony and early booking type of credits.

Good luck to all

So if you use an "early booking credit" which is the same as a "next cruise credit" (booked while on a ship)... it CAN NOT be combined with the "Benefit Credit for being a shareholder.

My thoughts are the OBC received from booking while on ship is "kinda like bought by us". They are giving us this perk while taking our $$$ for some this is for a year or more.

The share holder OBC is completely seperate.

And of course the TA perk is left alone.

Right??

We have a cruise booked in March with RCCL.

Our invoice shows the OBC for booking on board, the balcony discount for Diamond member, plus I have already requested the shareholders benefit, and got an email back that it is applied.

Will all this stand, or is the ruling for new bookings now.

So if you use an "early booking credit" which is the same as a "next cruise credit" (booked while on a ship)... it CAN NOT be combined with the "Benefit Credit for being a shareholder.

My thoughts are the OBC received from booking while on ship is "kinda like bought by us". They are giving us this perk while taking our $$$ for some this is for a year or more.

The share holder OBC is completely seperate.

And of course the TA perk is left alone.

Right??

Yes, that is how I read it

Looks like Princess has the best benefit package but you need 16 cruises.

At the same level - Diamond for RCL and Elite for Princess - Princess has better benefits- Price reductions, free laundry and dry cleaning, almost free internet, one fill of the minibar, plus other stuff.

That is correct, the OBC is coming from the TA, not RCL. There is no advantage to waiting until the last minute to transfer the booking to your TA instead of doing it initially, and I rather doubt many people do this.:rolleyes:

Pardon me, what OBC comes from TA? When I book on board, doesn't it come from RCL?

Archived