Question about seeing pro surfers on Oahu northshore

lakim

We want to watch the pro surfers when we're in Oahu in December. What time of day would be the best? What are the best locations? We'll be there on Christmas Eve; should we expect they will be out that day? I would hate to drive all the way up there and be disappointed.

Thanks in advance.

We want to watch the pro surfers when we're in Oahu in December. What time of day would be the best? What are the best locations? We'll be there on Christmas Eve; should we expect they will be out that day? I would hate to drive all the way up there and be disappointed.

Thanks in advance.

Pro surfers are out every single day from sunrise to sunset. Where ever you go get there early. Really early. I cannot emphasize enough that you need to arrive early because parking and be a nightmare. One of the best places to view surfing in the Winter is at waimea bay. The bay is calm in the summer but killer in the winter. Look up the legend of Eddie Aikau. There is a surfing event held every winter in his honor but the waves need to be over a certain height to hold the contest. That contest draws thousands to waimea bay.

Thanks, Inotdown. Good advice on getting there early. We arrive at 7am and plan to rent a convertible and head straight up there. Hope that is early enough; it's the best we can do.

I just noticed I said we'd be there on Christmas Eve; actually it will be the day after Christmas. From what you're saying it sounds like there will definitely be surfers there if the waves are high.

I looked up Eddie Aikau and found the story very interesting. We're hoping to hit Waimea Bay, the Pipeline, Sunset Beach and maybe Turtle Beach. Sounds like parking may determine where we actually get to stop.

Thanks, Inotdown. Good advice on getting there early. We arrive at 7am and plan to rent a convertible and head straight up there. Hope that is early enough; it's the best we can do.

I just noticed I said we'd be there on Christmas Eve; actually it will be the day after Christmas. From what you're saying it sounds like there will definitely be surfers there if the waves are high.

I looked up Eddie Aikau and found the story very interesting. We're hoping to hit Waimea Bay, the Pipeline, Sunset Beach and maybe Turtle Beach. Sounds like parking may determine where we actually get to stop.

One more thing: Lock your car. The North Shore beaches get hit big time by car thiefs and crack heads. Dont have anything in plain view that distinguishes you as a tourist and take all your valuables with you. When the waves are big its a sight to see but I would hate for your Hawaiian holiday to be ruined. I have seen way too many people have their vacations ruined because of car break ins.

One more thing: Lock your car. The North Shore beaches get hit big time by car thiefs and crack heads. Dont have anything in plain view that distinguishes you as a tourist and take all your valuables with you. When the waves are big its a sight to see but I would hate for your Hawaiian holiday to be ruined. I have seen way too many people have their vacations ruined because of car break ins.

Good advice. Thanks.

We were there two years ago just before Christmas. The waves on the North Shore were huge, and it was so neat to watch the competition. You might want to google for surfing competition in Hawaii. They have a "sorta" schedule and daily surfing conditions. They hold the competitions during a "window" of time depending on the wave heights. It's lots of fun to see even if there is not a competition going on. There will be lots of surfers practicing. We loved our day up there. Enjoy!

We were there two years ago just before Christmas. The waves on the North Shore were huge, and it was so neat to watch the competition. You might want to google for surfing competition in Hawaii. They have a "sorta" schedule and daily surfing conditions. They hold the competitions during a "window" of time depending on the wave heights. It's lots of fun to see even if there is not a competition going on. There will be lots of surfers practicing. We loved our day up there. Enjoy!

Thanks!

We'll be staying in a beach rental on Chun's Reef in 4/09. Are these break-ins always a problem, or just during the winter surfing peak time?

Should we rent a "regular" car, or can we risk renting a jeep wrangler?

Thanks for any info.

We'll be staying in a beach rental on Chun's Reef in 4/09. Are these break-ins always a problem, or just during the winter surfing peak time?

Should we rent a "regular" car, or can we risk renting a jeep wrangler?

Thanks for any info.

Break-ins unfortunately are ALWAYS a problem and rent a cars are almost always a target. The crack heads know that tourists/visitors are less likely to return to the islands to prosecute. The general rule of thumb is to make sure that nothing of value or that is "tourist" in nature is visible. Take your wallets, cellphones, digital cameras, and ANYTHING of value with youror leave it at your beach rental. Don't leave tourist maps, periodicals, rental agreement literature, that picture of you and your wife/husband and kids from Paradise Cove or anything that could distinguish you as a tourist. Once the crack head sees items such as those you become an easy target. As for renting a jeep there should not be a problem. A jeep with nothing of value in it or visibly in it should be just fine. A jeep is an awesome vehicle to cruise the island in with our weather. April is a nice month to visit and CHun's Reef is beautiful. If you have any other questions just post.

Thanks, Inotdown. That helps alot. That was what I was thinking. I think we'll go ahead and get a jeep! What can you tell me about the road to Hana? I was so excited to rent a jeep and drive that myself rather than go with a tour group, but there was one man who wrote an excellent review, but said it was a very scary, hair-pin drive, and he would advise going with a tour group. What's your opinion?

Also, what about break-ins into the beach rentals?

I feel fairly safe there because the owner lives close, and it's gated and has security cameras.

tjn

I really love the drive to Hana. A lot of other people with less tolerance for a long twisty drive might be less enthusiastic. There's a lot of tour operators who do a good job, but it's not bad to go yourself either.

When I drive myself I can go to beautiful hamakua beach, and venus pool.

A jeep is actually a little worse than a regular car for that kind of twisty driving on well paved road. No handling advantage, just more likely to flip. :)

Alot of the pros hang out at Leis Leis at the Turtle Bay Hilton. We also surferd with some of them at teh break right at the hotel believe it or not...not the best break but is was so huge and blown out that maybe they went out for some exercise..we are just used to crappy conditions!

Archived