Southwest Price Drops

Sorry if this has been posted - search is down!

I've enjoyed RCI's policy with respect to honoring dropped prices on cruises - we've saved a lot from my persistence with checking the prices online and calling to get the new price (3 times :)).

I have heard that you may be able to do this with Southwest - you book the flight, then go in to change the flight online, but select the same itinerary you had before, and you end up getting a credit to your Rapid Rewards account. Has anybody had recent experience with this? We've booked departure flights because they were at their lowest, but as I keep waiting for our return flights to drop from $204, I'm afraid they will sell out due to the time of year.

Yes, this happened to us in July. We reserved our Southwest flight at $230/per person and three days later it went down to $190/pp. Just went back to website and clicked on "change flights," put in exact same flights, and ended up w/a $160 credit. The only caveat is you have to use this credit within one year from original reservation date (not trip date).

The only caveat is you have to use this credit within one year from original reservation date (not trip date).

If I remember correctly last year my mother had a Southwest credit that was about to expire so my sister book a flight online and typed in the booking # of my mother's credit and it allowed her to use the credit towards her flight. They don't have the same name and live in different states.

If I remember correctly last year my mother had a Southwest credit that was about to expire so my sister book a flight online and typed in the booking # of my mother's credit and it allowed her to use the credit towards her flight. They don't have the same name and live in different states.

WOW--that is great info to know! I will keep this in mind!

• 2 weeks later...

Sure wish the other airlines would follow suit and do this. I booked on Air Canada and the price went up $200 pp within four days. This was almost a year out too! Called AC and talked to them, the supervisor, and wrote to them and still they wouldn't budge.

Then when I found out that I had mistakenly booked the wrong week for my cruise (don't ask - it was stupidity on my part), I had to change the flights and got inferior connections (had direct before) and still wound up having to pay over $200 for the luxury of changing them.

Yes, with SWest you can rebook the flight and receive a credit towards another flight which must be used within 1 year of original booking date. I just did this with a flight from HOU Hobby 1 way in December and received a $48 credit.

Also consider adding SW DING feature. Alerts every day about specials.

Thank you for the info regarding S.West- I just redid our tickets for an upcoming crusie and have a 200.00 credit for next YEAR!!!

thank you again,

kathyr

Just remember that the credit you have is good for 1 year from the ORIGINAL departure date you cancelled.....

Archived