New Pricing Policy - Comparison To John Deere

ABoatNerd

A very good morning CC members:

RE: The new pricing policy of RCL/Celebrity compared to the recent US Competition bureau decision on John Deere's "restrictive" pricing

FYI.

Much analysis has occured on the new pricing policy for RCL, Celebrity and many have raised the question of - does it restrict competition, thereby raising prices?

Well, here is an interesting item. In a news item this week, John Deere (JD)has been charged with "restrictive" pricing of their series 100 garden tractors and the US Competition Bureau has informed JD they are required to reimburse all customers 5% of their purchase prices for tractors purchased in 2003. Why, because JD forced their on the ground dealer network (think brick and morter travel agents vs on line) to sell the tractors at a specific price or face "consequences". My father expects to receive a 5% discount on a tractor he purchased.

So, it got me thinking, does this not sound similar to the RCL/Celebrity pricing policy? Did not RCL/Celebrity issue an edict that restricts the prices offered to the public? The RCL/Celebrity decision is implemented via their dealer network no different than the brick and morter travel agent network.

I am no lawyer, but I do see similarities in the RCL/Celebrity situation.

Since Celebrity CC members consistently demonstrate SUPERIOR industry and business analysis of the cruise industry vs other boards, does anyone have an opinion or more facts on this?

Great sailing to all

ABoatNerd

XSnob

Archived