Is there time to get to Merida by bus and still enjoy my time?

Splatt

:) We will be traveling on the Fantasy in November and it sounds like taking a bus to Merida is a popular thing to do. Being that we are not booked through Carnival, has anyone had problems seeing the sites there and being rushed to get back in time? What is there to do once we get there? How long a trip is it? What is the cost? Darn....I guess I just want to know all about it don't I? LOL :) We need suggestions!

To anwser your primary question; Absolutely. Keep reading this board and visit http://www.yucatantoday.com for info. When you're dropped off by the courtesy bus, ask directions to the local bus terminal. Two or three blocks. $3.00 RT pp. When you arrive at the Merida terminal, walk out to the street, turn right and walk three blocks to the central plaza in the center of the historical area. While in Progreso, pickup a print copy of Yucatan Today. Loads of information. Around the plaza you'll find Casa d Montejo (circa 1549), City Hall (1700's), the governor's executive bldg (very interesting art display depicting the history and culture of the Mayan state) and the oldest cathedral of the Americas (1561). Accros the street from the cathedral there are carriages that will take you out to the upscale, broad blvd Paseo Montejo. Fifty minutes for $20.00 per load. Take time to have a good lunch and local brew such as Montjo or the excellent coffee found almost everywhere.

Feel free to email me (hdawson228@aol.com) with questions or to see my pics of the area. I've spent several weeks in the area after two port calls sailing Celebrity. Merida and the entire Yucatan State is very safe on your own and NO tour is required to explore and enjoy.

Archived