"Discover Scuba" in Belize

StarPilot1960

My wife and I will be in Belize via Carnival Cruise Lines for our 18th wedding anniversary and are looking at the Discover Scuba as well. We were wondering how deep we would be allowed to go, for how long, what is the underwater scenery like, etc. By the one picture it looks like 4 foot deep water and we are more adventurous than that. ;)

If anyone has done this port call and would share feedback we'd appreciate it!

This is also a question on a Port of Call forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16408599&posted=1#post16408599

Thanks!

Most discover scuba tours take you to at least 20 feet. It may not seem like much in the Caribbean because the visibility is so good, but it still is enjoyable.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your dive.

Joe

My wife and I will be in Belize via Carnival Cruise Lines for our 18th wedding anniversary and are looking at the Discover Scuba as well. We were wondering how deep we would be allowed to go, for how long, what is the underwater scenery like, etc.

If they're a PADI shop (one of the larger credentialing organizations) then the average depth is 20ft. with a maximum of 40ft. As far as how long, depends on you. The average novice diver goes through a tank of air in 30 minutes or less but your dive instructor will ultimately decide when you come up. As far as underwater scenery, Belize is the best! Once you've done a discover scuba and "swam with the fishes" you won't want to snorkel again! :D

Randall

My wife and I will be in Belize via Carnival Cruise Lines for our 18th wedding anniversary and are looking at the Discover Scuba as well. We were wondering how deep we would be allowed to go, for how long, what is the underwater scenery like, etc. By the one picture it looks like 4 foot deep water and we are more adventurous than that. ;)

As stated, a Discovery Scuba Dive has a maximum depth of 40 feet but they usually keep you around 20 feet. Remember that the deeper you go the darker it gets. Even at 20 feet you will see a lot and it is hard to tell the difference between 20 feet and 40 feet. Heck, I hardly notice the difference between 15 feet and 60 feet.

Checking my first few dives, I was able to do 30 feet for 45 minutes but they have to get everyone back to the ship and take a second group of people out so they'll probably cut it short and give you 30 minutes of dive time. For your first dive, 30 minutes is a long time.

• 1 month later...

Belize is a tender port, and it is a long tender.

There is no beach by the cruise terminal in Belize city. An excursion will have to take you by boat to one of the cays. The diving/snorkeling there can be very good. The reef and fish life is healthy in Belize. If you go to the Shark Ray Alley, you can get to see sharks and rays, but not sure if they will take people there for discovery scuba.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the discover SCUBA last week in Belize through NCL. They used Hugh Sharkey's dive center in Belize as the dive operator. We spent about 35 min at a depth of 40ft near Sargent's Caye. After a short video and dive instruction on a local caye I passed my tests and was soon underwater. I had a great time and saw a turtle, an eel, lobsters, shrimps, stingrays and a jellyfish along with an array of other fish in that 35min. I fully recommend the experience.

• 3 weeks later...

My boyfriend and I did Discover Scuba in November. The dive was 40 feet max, and before you dive they have you watch an instructional video, sign waivers and complete 4 tests in water that is about 10 feet deep. Our instructor led us around and wrote on a board what we were seeing. We saw a ton of fish, and at one point a 150 foot drop off. That was really cool because it seemed to never end.

It was my first experience and I must say it was interesting. I recommend that you make sure your tank is full before diving. I feel as though the image of my first dive was skewed due to unfortunate circumstances. :confused:

I did Discover Scuba in November. They took us away on a tender, opposite of the island and to a seperate resort type area. We went into a school room to watch videos, and sign waivers. Then we went to get our gear (tanks and fins). We went out about 10 minutes and did a test dive where we were required to complete 4 tests before continuing. We had to have been in water around 10 feet. Afterwards we went to a deeper area, 40 feet and did the real dive. We followed our instructor around and he wrote down what we saw (fish and a 150 foot drop!)

I will recommend making sure your tank is full of oxygen, as mine was not. It was my first experience, and is very skewed due to this. I am sure that many divers would say that it is rare for that to happen.

I will recommend making sure your tank is full of oxygen, as mine was not. It was my first experience, and is very skewed due to this. I am sure that many divers would say that it is rare for that to happen.

I hope it wasn't, you don't want to dive with a tank of oxygen! Scuba tanks are filled with compressed AIR. But you do want to check and make sure that it is full before you start a dive. They should teach you about the gauge that you need to check before and during the dive.

I did Discover Scuba in November. They took us away on a tender, opposite of the island and to a seperate resort type area. We went into a school room to watch videos, and sign waivers. Then we went to get our gear (tanks and fins). We went out about 10 minutes and did a test dive where we were required to complete 4 tests before continuing. We had to have been in water around 10 feet. Afterwards we went to a deeper area, 40 feet and did the real dive. We followed our instructor around and he wrote down what we saw (fish and a 150 foot drop!)

Yep, in scuba terms that's called a "short fill". If you go on to a certification one of the things they'll teach you right away is to check the "o" ring that seals your regulator and then check how much air's in the tank. I once went on a boat dive where I had to go through 5 tanks before I found one at the proper beginning pressure.

Randall

• 3 weeks later...

My boyfriend and I want to do beginners scuba in Belize as well! Does anyone have a recommendation for who to dive with? We are cruising with Carnival and have done it before while in Cozumel (thru the ship)but it seems like most excursions that we have booked outside of the ship have been a bit better and more personable! We want to book with Coral Breezes but we have to have a group of 4 to book. Any advise would be wonderful!!!! Thanks!

Katrina

Kitty,

I'm probably the wrong person to give this advice (since I've haven't yet been on a cruise, or to Belize) ... but from my research it is better to use the ship's dive operator as opposed to finding your own in Belize. The ships in Belize have to anchor offshore and then use tenders to shuttle passengers back and forth from the ship to shore. Those taking ship arranged excursions get priority getting off the ship. So you'll have to let the passengers leave first and wait. I haven't been able to find out exactly how long the tender ride is but I'm gathering its 15-30 minute process once you're to the start of the line onboard.

We're on NCL Pearl week of Feb 1. In Roatan and Coz I've arranged our dives myself through other dive shops. In Belize we'll use the NCL operator.

From what I can tell Hugh Sharkey's provides service to a few of the cruise lines and most posts, reviews I"ve seen have been positive (both snorkelling, intro to SCUBA and diving). The cost is a little more, but it is convenient. You get picked up and dropped of from the ship.

If others have different or more information please let us know. All of the above is what I've learned from reading other posts on CC and a few other websites.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived