Liberty Review: Western - 09/13/08

KenMo

Mom finally went home today and I got my computer back. So now I can post my review...lol!

There were three of us on this trip. My DH (Kenny), my mom (Lois) and myself.

Precruise:

We flew from MCI to FLL the day before. We decided to eat at Waffle House before we went to the airport.

Good thing we were getting out of Missouri.....apparently there's a shortage of swine semen judging from the vehicle we parked next to. Looks like Nebraska has plenty to help us out though.

WTH.jpg

We flew AA to FLL....NOT non-stop. We had to wait for our plane to leave MCI because there was weather in Chicago. Once we got to Chicago, we had to wait for the plane coming from Denver. So we landed about an hour late. Oh well....we were a day early anyway.

Pretty clouds over FLL:

Prettyclouds.jpg

FLL from the air:

FLL1.jpg

I forgot to mention.....this was my first Platinum cruise. It was Kenny's ninth and my mom's first cruise.

I arranged a ride from FLL to Miami through Larry's Limo. We called our driver, Victor, as soon as we picked up our luggage and he was right outside the terminal just a few minutes later.

We thought we were just getting a town car, but this is what showed up.

LimoinfrontofHolidayInn.jpg

I booked the Holiday Inn online. I decided to splurge and get the King Suite so we'd have a separate sleeping area for mom.

It worked out okay, but I doubt I'd stay there again. I have much better luck booking hotels on Hotwire. Much nicer hotels at half the price.

Plus, the shower head would not stay in position. I kept getting bonked in the head and spraying water all over the place every time the shower head fell off.

Pictures of the hotel and room:

HolidayInn5.jpg

HolidayInn2.jpg

BarAreaatHolidayInn.jpg

HolidayInnbathroom.jpg

We met Debra (valancy1) and her DH, Barry, at Bubba Gumps.

They were not hard to spot, as Barry is taaalll....I believe 6'10".

We had good food and drinks and a nice visit.

BubbaGumps.jpg

Mom does not look very happy, does she???

BarryDebraKennyMonaMomatBubbaGumps.jpg

FishChips.jpg

ShrimpFries.jpg

After Bubba Gumps, we walked around Bayside Marketplace for a little while.

Then we went back to the hotel to get ready for the big day!!!

The next morning we ate breakfast at the hotel. They had a breakfast buffet which was pretty much like the breakfast buffets on the ship...lol!

We took a cab to the port and we were off!!!

I want to know more.... do tell! :D

Welcome back Mona! I see you are now blonde! (well.. it's been over a year since our last cruise together)

Thanks Lorena......but that's gray :eek: !!!

I gave up trying to keep up with the gray, so now I am au natural...lol!

Most people think it's blonde.....so I don't correct them. (I hope nobody is reading this and now know my secret...lol!)

We arrived at the port around 10:30ish.

I do not know the number of our porter, but I do know he was not 150! After leaving our bags, we went in the terminal where we had to show our FunPass and ID. We went through security, then up the escalator and into the VIP Lounge.

VIPLounge.jpg

We were not supposed to take pictures in there, so I didn't. But there were two large rooms with couches, chairs and tables. Plus there was a large pot of cold water.....nothing else to drink that I saw.

There was a pregnant woman in the lounge with her DH and son (who was about 2 years old). She was also traveling with other family members. Well.....she looked very pregnant. From what I could hear of the conversations, she was less than 24 weeks pregnant but the Carnival rep was questioning that. There was a lot of back and forth between family members and the rep. Finally, she was able to have a note from her doctor faxed to the rep saying she was less than 24 weeks along and okay to travel. Lucky her.....she was able to get a hold of somebody on a Saturday morning. For awhile, I didn't think she'd be cruising. So...for all pregnant women.....BRING A NOTE FROM YOUR DOCTOR!!!!

Finally, it was our turn to get on the ship!

We went up another escalator, had the crappy picture taken, and walked to the ship!!!

Our Roll Call had a M&G at the aft pool area around 2:30pm. Quite a few people showed up. It was fun talking to everyone and putting faces to the names. Some we ran into quite often during the cruise.....some we never saw again...lol!

CCersMG2.jpg

CCersMG1.jpg

CCersMG-1.jpg

After the M&G went to our cabin to wait for the muster drill. Nothing much to say about that.....uneventful.

Though I will say....make sure you aren't the first one down there. Try to wait a few minutes so you won't be stuck in the back. It gets hot and stuffy!!

We watched sailaway from our balcony. Imagination left just before we did.

Imaginationleavingbeforeus.jpg

Imagination6.jpg

Imagination3.jpg

Imagination.jpg

Our Cabin:

We had #7396, a balcony on Empress Deck, with the couch that makes into a bed. The three of us fit with no problems. I don't think I'd ever try four in a regular size cabin though. Too crowded for me!!!

OurCabin.jpg

The minibar was unlocked when we arrived. Kenny asked our steward, Digno, to lock it. It never did get locked so I decided to get some pictures.

MiniBar1.jpg

MiniBar.jpg

The sofa/couch. It was always left as a bed......which was just fine with us. That way, mom always had a place ready for her nap!

Couchmadeupasbed.jpg

Love your review. I'm looking at the pictures at Bubba Gumps and thinking 'familiar" than I got it. Your the other folks in Deb's review. Very nice and I'm looking forward to the rest of your review.

thanks so much for feeding my addiction.

I'll continue in a minute....trying to figure out how to make my pictures smaller.

Can anyone help???

The best program I have found to make a batch of photos smaller all at the same time is a program called Irfanview.

You can download it for free from

http://irfanview.com

It the program I use all the time for all things that have to do with photos, and best of all it is FREE.

Larry

Our Cabin:

We had #7396, a balcony on Empress Deck, with the couch that makes into a bed. The three of us fit with no problems. I don't think I'd ever try four in a regular size cabin though. Too crowded for me!!!

OurCabin.jpg

The minibar was unlocked when we arrived. Kenny asked our steward, Digno, to lock it. It never did get locked so I decided to get some pictures.

MiniBar1.jpg

MiniBar.jpg

The sofa/couch. It was always left as a bed......which was just fine with us. That way, mom always had a place ready for her nap!

Couchmadeupasbed.jpg

Just wondering if you liked the location of your cabin as we have the cabin right next door to yours on our cruise in November. Was it quiet, feel any motion etc?

Just wondering if you liked the location of your cabin as we have the cabin right next door to yours on our cruise in November. Was it quiet, feel any motion etc?

I liked the location. It was close to the elevator, so that was convenient for my mom....cut down on the walking. We were sandwiched between cabin decks, which cuts out the noise factor from the clubs, etc.

I didn't feel alot of motion in the cabin.....just a gentle sway every once in awhile.

As far as noise....for that deck, it really depends on your neighbors.

We had a baby next door. We heard him cry for a minute maybe three times. Nothing bad at all. It was always in the afternoon.....so maybe he was getting ready for his nap. He had a 5 year old sister in the cabin also. The dad mentioned we might have heard her jumping around in the cabin. But we didn't hear any of that.

Now the young guys across the hall.....that's another story. For some reason, every time they came back to the cabin in the middle of the night, they had to hoot and holler. A couple of mornings I would call their cabin early in the morning and act like I had the wrong cabin. (I know.....I'm rotten!)

One night, while out on the balcony, I heard a couple arguing. He was FUBAR and wanted to find a foosball table. The wife kept yelling that if he left the cabin, she would call the captain. Not sure what she thought the captain would do, but whatever.

I can party with the best of 'em, but on the cabin decks, I wish people would keep it down.

Hopefully, you will have considerate neighbors.

HTH and enjoy your cruise!!!

Now the young guys across the hall.....that's another story. For some reason, every time they came back to the cabin in the middle of the night, they had to hoot and holler. A couple of mornings I would call their cabin early in the morning and act like I had the wrong cabin. (I know.....I'm rotten!)

OMG.....Mona!

That was SO good. I like your way of thinking. People are out to have a great time on cruises, but I agree.....leave it for the party levels, not the levels where people are trying to sleep. Just rude.

Good job :)

Susan

Archived