Wheelchairs on Celebrity

busseltoncruisers

We are sailing on the Millenium from Sydney on the 14/09/2008. We are taking my 89 year old mother who walks with a walking frame. We have requested a wheelchair from Celebrity which we would like to use when we do shore excusions and maybe for some of our on board movements. We are having a little difficulty getting a straight answer from Celebrity whether the wheelchair can be taken on shore for excursions. Has anyone had this experience and can comment or would we be better off hiring a wheelchair from home. Just gets a little difficult transporting frmaes and chairs etc

I think as other Cruise Ship Lines do too, it leaves them less liability, Celebrity probably does not allow there Onboard equipment on/ off the ships ..except for boarding.

I do believe having the chair and/or any other medical equipment or devices rented/leased would be you best wager in it at least make sure the firm is reputable and will have them at the ship when it departs.

Some lines are better than others in helping the needed ones.

When I see anyone on-board I always ask if I may be of assistance to them if I see the need.

Shore excursions make sure any vehicle used does have the boarding if you mum is confined to the wheelchair.

Most newer ships, also do have cabins for handicapped too which is easier for her.

We are sailing on the Millenium from Sydney on the 14/09/2008. We are taking my 89 year old mother who walks with a walking frame. We have requested a wheelchair from Celebrity which we would like to use when we do shore excusions and maybe for some of our on board movements. We are having a little difficulty getting a straight answer from Celebrity whether the wheelchair can be taken on shore for excursions. Has anyone had this experience and can comment or would we be better off hiring a wheelchair from home. Just gets a little difficult transporting frmaes and chairs etc

We have requested a wheelchair from X for our 12/7/2008 cruise on the Solstice. I was told by X office that the chair could be taken off the ship. We have used the ship's wheelchair on three Princess cruises and never had a problem taking it off the ship. As X seems to be inconsistent in providing info (they seem to be almost as bad as the IRS), maybe I won't know until 12/7. I would suggest you check the "Disabled cruise travel" section of "Special interest cruising." You'll probably get yes and also no answers there too. When is your cruise? Have a great cruise!

We always rent a wheelchair for on board use with our mom. Celebrity does not like to give out their wheelchairs for passenger use unless it's an emergency. They have precious few wheelchairs and really cannot lend them out to everyone who may want them. Bring one from home for your mother's use. When we called Celebrity about using their chairs we were told that we had to provide our own.

Hi!

I am physically challenged, however I do not use a wheelchair as regular method of mobility (I walk with crutches and braces). I have been on over 20 cruises, the last two of them being on Celebrity's Constellation. At each port, the staff offered me the use of a wheelchair to take on tour with me, and even assisted me off the ship. In Quebec City, one of the stewards, wheeled me all the way into town, before leaving us, with the chair to our own devices. In short, the staff on Celebrity is probably some of the most willing to assist of any that I have encountered and yes, if you need it, you can take one of the ship's wheelchairs ashore with you. I hope this helps and I hope you have a memorable trip.

Regards,

Dean

Archived