Help

NYCHICK

I don't know what month is best for you or what exactly you are looking for.But we wnt in Mid June and our weather was perfect for us.Alaska's weather is unpredictable so one never knows what to expect.I think if there are certain things that interest you more,like the running of the salmon or bear watching etc different times of the summer are better then others.Mercury is a great ship!

Congratulations.

The season runs May - September. Best is of course a relative thing and you will find that this is the first of many Alaska decisions that you will make that involve trade-offs. Early may and mid/late September is risky with weather. Although Alaska weather is extremely variable and you will always travel with layers of warm clothes and rain gear, May and June tend to be dryer months while late June - mid August are warmer. The prices reflect the peakness of the season.

Beyond temperature:

1. If you are considering a 1-way cruise with a tour of Denali (which is truly amazing), note that the road into Denali NP is not open during much of May. Recent posts have these details.

2. Many people enjoy a dogsledding excursion (which entails a helicopter to a snowy area of a glacier). Too Warm and the snow melts resulting in cancellations of this excursion. So, going past mid-August is risky on this one.

3. I've heard glaciers calving (ie big hunks falling into the ocean) is somewhat related to weather (warmer = more?). Others can probably confirm this better than I. All variable of course, but the odds can be played.

4. Wildlife, wildflowers/berries: These are all trade-offs and I'm bad at remembering the exact timing (partially because last summer was so hot and dry that somethings happened early and other things happened late. Salmon runs get going in August, which is fun to watch in itself and it brings out the bears in S.E. Alaska (you'd need an excursion to see them and more likely as August moves on). Then again, you get more stories of random wildlife encounters (including bear) earlier when the temperature is still cool enough that they don't head for the hills. Wildflowers tend to be more predominate in June/July I believe with berries (edible if you go with a guide that knows her stuff) in August. Others can correct my timing I'm sure. I just wanted to lay out the consideration.

5. Daylight/Happenings: The summer solstice in July gives particularly long days (certainly interesting and either useful or an annoyance depending on your take). You could also plan your trip around being in a particular place for a particular event: Midnight baseball in Fairbanks, Talkeetna Moose Dropping Festival, Blueberry Festival (I think in Ketchikan), State Fair, and the list goes on and on.

There is no BEST time for Alaska- so go with what fits your time and budget best. :) Don't set your self up for disappointment with perfection- it won't be. :) I greatly prefer mid to late August for my priorities- shoulder season rates, wildlife, decent weather- possible. You need to be prepared for a wide range and have back up plans for the back ups. :)

Archived