Upgrading after final payment

keant

Is it standard that upgrades after final payment are charged at the price when final payment was made?

I'm on the 10/12 Dawn sailing to Bermuda and noticed today that the price of balcony cabins have dropped significantly (not to mention that my OV cabin is now significantly less--I know it's the chance you take).

I called to inquire about upgrading and was told that the price to upgrade to a balcony cabin would be $300/person, rather than the $20 difference based on current prices.

There's nothing on the site to indicate that that it's a new booking sale.

Is it standard that upgrades after final payment are charged at the price when final payment was made?

I'm on the 10/12 Dawn sailing to Bermuda and noticed today that the price of balcony cabins have dropped significantly (not to mention that my OV cabin is now significantly less--I know it's the chance you take).

I called to inquire about upgrading and was told that the price to upgrade to a balcony cabin would be $300/person, rather than the $20 difference based on current prices.

There's nothing on the site to indicate that that it's a new booking sale.

We had this same problem with our POAM sailing a week and a half before the cruise. I talked to a supervisor who gave me very wrong information and it bothered me. I am not going to get into details since I am sure someone will say it must have been my fault I got the wrong answer. Long story short the balconies were less then I paid for my ocean view. I figured why not give it a shot to call and see what they can do for me. When I talked to a supervisor she told me something I knew was not true. It bothered me and I felt if nothing else some one higher up should know this person is giving wrong information to customers. I then asked to talk to the head of the supervisors. Once I was connected I told the woman what had happened. She let me know that the rep was wrong and of course I would get the upgrade and she had already done it. I was very pleased with the results and I would have been just fine with the ocean view also. My thoughts it never hurts to try. :)

I am on the same cruise as you and had booked a balcony cabin. I noticed the price drop and requested an on board credit or money back. I was denied and I asked for a supervisor. I explained to the supervisor that the mini-suites weer only $70 per person more than I paid (AF category). She looked and saw this and agreed to upgrade me for FREE. Just call back and tell the rep that you want to speak to a supervisor. And while your at it, ask for a coupon book! Also, be sure to join the roll call, so far it's been a pretty fun group!

You will get lots of different answers and I believe different policies.

First - after final payment, they will NOT honor a lower price on your existing reservation. It is a done deal. The contract is signed and done with. Might not like it, but that is business.

On the other hand, you might be able to PAY to upgrade to a higher cabin and you might be able to use the NEW rate as the basis to calculate what your cost will be.

If you start out the discussion trying to get a lower rate and/or refund and/or On Board Credit, you will get nowhere and logic will be out the window.

And, if your OLD rate included an OBC, it might go away. Some people seem to think those things are feebies. They are REAL money.

For example, if you paid $1000 for a cabin and got no OBC, then NLC gets $1,000. If you paid $1,500, but got a $600 OBC, then NCL gets $900. That means you paid $900 for the cabin. Keep that in mind when dealing with rate changes. I know - nobody gets a $600 OBC, but this is just a math example.

Last week we booked an AE on the Sun. We would have preferred an aft AF cabin, however none were available, so we booked an AE. The cruise is departing soon, so final payment was made immediately.

Then yesterday I noticed two aft cat AF cabins had opened up. Both last week when we booked as well as yesterday, the pricing for AE and AF was exactly the same. I emailed the travel agent to see if we could be switched from AE to our coveted aft AF, noting that the two categories were priced the same. I received a strange (well, strange to me) reply saying we had been upgraded from cat H to cat AE when we made the original booking (last week) and that NCL would not only charge us the difference between cat H and cat AF, but also a $170 per person "cancellation" charge (who's cancelling--we're still going!). The TA even went so far as to say in the email they thought NCL was being ridiculous, but 'oh well'.

I replied back to the TA that we had never requested a cat H, but wanted an AF or AE mini-suite right from the start. Remember, this booking was only made last week! So where does this upgrade from cat H play into the scenario?

The TA replied there are often "sales incentives" and that's how we were priced at cat H in the first place, however given an assignement in AE (which we had ordered all along). I had no idea of the history of how we got the price we did -- I simply asked for a quote on a mini suite, received it, booked and paid.

So, according to the TA, NCL is now going to charge us the difference between H and AF (plus the cancellation charge) to downgrade from AE to AF! Of course we didn't go for that and are just hanging onto our AE.

I emailed the TA back once more with a rather philisophical message and this morning received an email back from the owner of the agency who said "On Monday NCL discovered a “Glitch” in their system that allowed upgrades that never should have happened. NCL has agreed to honor the bookings as they stand, but no changes will be allowed unless they return to normal “correct” pricing.

With our agency there are about 60 effected bookings. Who knows how many around the world. You saved more than $500.00 because of this “NCL Glitch”

Bottom line is NCL has decided no changes allowed unless normal prices prevail."

At this point, I really don't know who to believe. We'll stick with our cat AE and have a great cruise, but I think the whole thing is a bit fishy and I'm not sure who (NCL or the TA) is feeding me this nasty bait!

An AF is an deluxe balcony. Though the location may be great, it is NOT a suite. The AE is a true suite with all the perks that most can not afford. Would that not be a better deal?

I agree by the way, that NCL is being STUPID because they could sell that AE and make more money.

An AF is an deluxe balcony. Though the location may be great, it is NOT a suite. The AE is a true suite with all the perks that most can not afford. Would that not be a better deal?

I agree by the way, that NCL is being STUPID because they could sell that AE and make more money.

Remember, we're on the Sun, where both AF and AE are mini-suites. I hope you're not serious that AE on the Sun is a full suite with all the benefits (concierge, butler, VIP, etc) because everyone else on this board has been telling me it's a mini-suite! Don't confuse me more than I already am!!!

Remember, we're on the Sun, where both AF and AE are mini-suites. I hope you're not serious that AE on the Sun is a full suite with all the benefits (concierge, butler, VIP, etc) because everyone else on this board has been telling me it's a mini-suite! Don't confuse me more than I already am!!!

Dont worry you are correct. The AE category on the Sun is indeed a mini suite, not a "suite".

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Sounds like there isn't a set policy on what price applies for new cabins after final payment.

I called back today, talked to another PCC, and she gladly did the upgrade based on the current price on their website.

(Couldn't bring myself to push it and ask for the coupon book too.)

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Sounds like there isn't a set policy on what price applies for new cabins after final payment.

I called back today, talked to another PCC, and she gladly did the upgrade based on the current price on their website.

It's all in who you talk to. I have a dedicated PCC and found that they can help me with things like price matching, etc much better than just calling the toll free reservation number. JUST IMHO.

Call back and ask for the coupon book...I seriously doubt they will care. The two best coupons are the buy one / get one at the speciality restaurant the first night and buy 2 drinks get a 3rd for free on embarkation day.

I'm assuming you've made these changes directly with a PCC at NCL because you booked through them and not a travel agent?

That's right. I booked with NCL online, so I guess without a dedicated PCC I guess it's the luck of the draw in who you get when you call in.

You can always use a PCC after the fact....I believe you can just call and ask for one. I had a lot of them calling me (like 3 or 4 different people), then I just called and asked for one very good person and a few hours later I was assigned to a one of the more senior PCC's and they helped me with my future cruises AND the ones I already had booked. If you've talked to someone you like already, then ask for their extension and see if they can be your full time rep. Hope that helps :-)

OKay heres what I did I called the ncl # and pressed the prompt for current reserverations and told the guy I was interested in an upgrade adn I saw online balcony room prices came down, he said he can give me a free upgrade cause the prices of the two were the same

OKay heres what I did I called the ncl # and pressed the prompt for current reserverations and told the guy I was interested in an upgrade adn I saw online balcony room prices came down, he said he can give me a free upgrade cause the prices of the two were the same

Well done! Just proves it never hurts to ask :)

I am booked on the Sky for Oct. 20. The cost for a balcony cabin went down $100.00 pp. I called for an upgrade, a ship board credit, or price adjustment. I got nothing . It seems I booked the best balcony and the suites are too much money for an upgrade.

I feel like I deserve something. I am a Latitudes member and have cruised with NCL many times.

I did ask to speak to a supervisor that said there was nothing he could do.

I feel cheated!

Any ideas????

Thank you,

Eileen

I am booked on the Sky for Oct. 20. The cost for a balcony cabin went down $100.00 pp. I called for an upgrade, a ship board credit, or price adjustment. I got nothing . It seems I booked the best balcony and the suites are too much money for an upgrade.

I feel like I deserve something. I am a Latitudes member and have cruised with NCL many times.

I did ask to speak to a supervisor that said there was nothing he could do.

I feel cheated!

Any ideas????

Thank you,

Eileen

Why do you feel cheated? It's well known (on this board in particular) that NCL doesn't usually allow discounts after final payment date. I certainly don't blame you for asking, but as a long time member of CC you should be aware that chances of getting anything were, to say the least, remote. :confused:

I called NCL directly and got nowhere. Then I had my travel agent call and he was able to get us moved to a better room today.

This is our first NCL cruise. I think they should be a little more inclined to upgrape those already booked (we booked 5 months ago.) Yes, I know they want to sell out the ship and it's a business. I'd want to do all that I could to keep my current clients happy.....that's just good business sense.

This is our first NCL cruise. I think they should be a little more inclined to upgrape those already booked (we booked 5 months ago.) Yes, I know they want to sell out the ship and it's a business. I'd want to do all that I could to keep my current clients happy.....that's just good business sense.

I look at it this way. I go into my favourite clothing store at the beginning of the new season and the selection is fantastic. Everything is available in all sizes and it's not on sale. So occasionally they offer a sale throughout the season but most days they're still regular price. Three months later, the pants I bought at the start of the season for $X are now 60% off. There isn't a great selection left but they do happen to have my size. I go in with my bill and say to the clerk, sure I've been wearing these pants for three months but I've been loyal to you and continue to come back to your store. Now you're letting anyone who walks in off the street buy the same pants for 60% less and I want the same price.

As we both know, it just doesn't work that way. If you were happy with what you paid when booked it, don't sweat about it. I'm not saying you shouldn't have asked for something, just that I wouldn't waste time and energy being upset about it now that they've told you no. I hope you enjoy your cruise anyway.:)

Archived