Ko'olina Beach Club or Hilton Hawaiian Village

lnm

We're headed to HI for a 25th anniversary trip. POA 5/2/09. Staying 2 nights at Marriott Waikiki. After we have 5 days....where should we stay? Preference is a 1 BR. Seems like a great deal for Ko'olima at $848 (tax included) for 5 nights. But is it as isolated as it looks? Peaceful would be nice, but is there also stuff close by? Any recommendations for anything else to look into would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Linda

We plan to explore the island, but don't really need the night life. Someplace that we don't have to drive an hour to get to a restaurant would be great.

Have you stayed at both places? What are the plusses or minuses or each? Or do you have a different recommendation for a 1 BR accommodation?

Thanks for your reply!

Ko'olina is a really huge luxury mega resort.

It is towards the end of a long dead end road at the west 15 min from makaha. I think this simple map gives you the idea.

map-oahu.gif

The relative isolation makes it a little inconvenient for short trips, since its not close to anything (except paradise cove luau). If you're doing an all day driving trip though, it won't really matter.

I think most people would disagree with me, but I'd MUCH rather be at turtle bay (northernmost point on map) if I wanted to be out of Waikiki. It's nowhere near as luxury or "mega" as koolina, but there is a whole lot more I'd like to see and do nearby. You can do sunset beach, kualoa ranch, waimea bay and falls, the shrimp trucks... Haleiwa is a little drive but there are soo many great places to eat and such distinctive little shops there. You can watch surfers right from the hotel pool at turtle bay, they surf right next to the shore since the waves go along the coast instead of into it. I think this is the only place on the island you can horseback ride on the beach.

With turtle bay, you're closer to a lot of good stuff, with koolina, you're farther away from everything.

I also think Waikiki is a perfectly good choice...

Ko'olina is a really huge luxury mega resort.

It is towards the end of a long dead end road at the west 15 min from makaha. I think this simple map gives you the idea.

map-oahu.gif

The relative isolation makes it a little inconvenient for short trips, since its not close to anything (except paradise cove luau). If you're doing an all day driving trip though, it won't really matter.

I think most people would disagree with me, but I'd MUCH rather be at turtle bay (northernmost point on map) if I wanted to be out of Waikiki. It's nowhere near as luxury or "mega" as koolina, but there is a whole lot more I'd like to see and do nearby. You can do sunset beach, kualoa ranch, waimea bay and falls, the shrimp trucks... Haleiwa is a little drive but there are soo many great places to eat and such distinctive little shops there. You can watch surfers right from the hotel pool at turtle bay, they surf right next to the shore since the waves go along the coast instead of into it. I think this is the only place on the island you can horseback ride on the beach.

With turtle bay, you're closer to a lot of good stuff, with koolina, you're farther away from everything.

Not me. I agree with you. Although we enjoy driving up to Ko Olina, we have no interest at all in staying there. We prefer to stay outside of Waikiki with Kailua being a favorite location. But we would certainly enjoy Turtle Bay or the Kahala Resort on the south coast. I don't know what kind of room accomodations they have. We like having a kitchen or kitchentte, so that limits our choices somewhat.

beachchick

I am going to disagree a little with the other posters. We stayed at the J.W. Marriott at Ko Olina a couple years ago and loved it! (The Beach Club is just a few blocks from the J.W.) As MikeKaye said, "it is away from everything," which is exactly the reason we stayed there. Very peaceful, especially at night, you would never know that you are really fairly close to a big city.

We had a rental car and drove to various places on the island including downtown, PCC, & Pearl Harbor. All easy drives except to the PCC, which is a long ways from everything except Turtle Bay.

It is an easy 30 minute drive from the airport on mostly 4-lane highway. Even though it "feels" like it is a long way from everything, it is not as isolated as one might image. If you get back on the highway and drive back towards the city, it is only a very few miles (~5) before you start to enter the suburbs of Honolulu where you can find everything from restaurants to doctors. (I know, my wife got sick and we needed one, found one, maybe 10 minutes from the hotel.)

I cannot comment specifically about the Beach Club, but Ko Olina is very, very nice, fairly close to Honolulu, but still "a world away."

Thank you both for your responses.

I'll check into Turtle Bay and Kahala Resort. Beachchick, is Kailua a town or a resort (or both?). I see that you have been to HI several times. We would also like to have a 1 bedroom with a kitchen. Don't know how much cooking I would plan for, but just the space would be good. Breakfast at least to save some $$.

We are planning to be somewhat extravagent being this is our first (and maybe only) time to HI and it's our 25th anniversary.

What do you guys think of spending the extra money for 1st class? We're in FL. I'm not huge, but not a small person either. Right now it looks like regular coach runs from $800 (1 stop) - $950 (2 stops) and 1st class is about $2100-$2300. Thoughts?

Kailua is a town a few miles northeast of Honolulu. I do not remember that there were many hotel options there, but Beackchick will have a better idea than me.

I just remembered that the last time we went to Oahu that we were not going to stay in Honolulu under any circumstances. Way too crowded for me. Been there, done that, never again.

So, I found at the time (~3 years ago) only a few hotels outside of Honolulu that I was able to seriously consider; the J.W Marriott, and The Turtle Bay Resort. It almost came down to a coin toss, but finally decided that Turtle Bay was too far away from Honolulu to easily accommodate our other plans.

First class vs. coach - - If you can afford it, first class is the way to go. It is a long ride in the back of the bus! I have been to the Island five times, three times via first class (a lot of frequent flyer miles!), no comparison.

Aloha. Kailua is a town almost directly across Oahu from Waikiki. We usually take the Pali Hwy (61), but you can also take 63 (the Likelike Hwy) or H3. There really are no hotels options there that I know of. We've stayed in home B&Bs that have kitchenettes. Having a pool is important to us, but having the big resort amenities is not.

If you can afford the 1st class air, I'd say go for it. That's a long time in flight. It sure would be nice to have the added comfort of 1st class. (The best we've ever done was the United Economy Plus and my DH used to fly Business when he had to fly over for work.)

beachchick

If you're looking for info on Ko Olima, read TravelingFamilyFive (screen name) here. They recently returned from a cruise/land vacation and their reviews and pictures of Hawaii are priceless IMO. They stayed at the Beach Club, and before reading about their experience I would have considered it too far away from everything, but they really took advantage of the location and a part of Oahu that many never take the time to explore. They saw more of Hawaii in the time they had than anyone I know of!! Just wish I were years younger and could go there and follow their schedule!! Amazing pictures!

Grab a coffee or glass of wine and visit Hawaii with TravelingFamilyFive - you'll be glad you did!

Hi Beachchick - Have you read the TravelingFamilyFive review?

Bucky3: No, I haven't read it yet. Sounds like it's a good one! It's just going to kill me though because my DH and I are absolutely aching for our next visit. But with our DD due to deliver her first baby (and our first grandbaby) at the end of December, we're going to have to wait a while and spend travel money going to Seattle to be with her.:)

beachchick

...I think most people would disagree with me, but I'd MUCH rather be at turtle bay (northernmost point on map) if I wanted to be out of Waikiki. It's nowhere near as luxury or "mega" as koolina, but there is a whole lot more I'd like to see and do nearby. You can do sunset beach, kualoa ranch, waimea bay and falls, the shrimp trucks... Haleiwa is a little drive but there are soo many great places to eat and such distinctive little shops there. You can watch surfers right from the hotel pool at turtle bay, they surf right next to the shore since the waves go along the coast instead of into it. I think this is the only place on the island you can horseback ride on the beach.

We took your advice last year and stayed at Turtle Bay...and LOVED it! The resort itself was beautiful, but also laid-back and casual. The property is stunning with miles of hiking and horseback trails right there. and the the protected Kuilima cove was great for swimming and snorkeling...even when we were there in January. There was plenty to do nearby as well...Haleiwa, north shore beaches (with basking sea turtles), the PCC, shrimp trucks, bird sanctuaries. We would love to find similar resorts on the other islands for future visits, but feel that TB will be a tough act to follow!

Beachchick - Congrats on the coming family addition! Enjoy - they grow up too fast! We have 3 and the oldest graduates from Cal Poly in June.

I understand and sympathize with your pain, but if you read that TravelingFamily5 review and use your imagination, you can make it "your" armchair trip at least !! Enjoy and A-LO-HA!

Beachchick - Congrats on the coming family addition! Enjoy - they grow up too fast! We have 3 and the oldest graduates from Cal Poly in June.

I understand and sympathize with your pain, but if you read that TravelingFamily5 review and use your imagination, you can make it "your" armchair trip at least !! Enjoy and A-LO-HA!

Mahalo. We're pretty happy about it, but I am having a bit of trouble with the whole "I'm more than old enough to be a grandma" thing. OTOH, I'm looking forward to the "We had a wonderful time with the baby. She's fussy now, so here you go..." :D I plan to work within the "Grandma gets to spoil her grandbaby a little bit" style. They sure do grow up in the blink of an eye. Our best friends started their family late (in fact, our DD babysat their oldest), so we've had quite a bit of baby/toddler/youngster time over the past many years. Of course, now that their DD is into her teen years, all I can say to them is "You will survive, trust me."

Question: Do you by chance mean Cal Poly SLO? That's in our neck of the woods. Isn't it a wonderful university? Pass along congratulations to your oldest grand (girl or boy?).:)

My sister and BIL met at Cal Poly, although they moved back to No CA after graduation. Cal Poly was my first choice, but my parents said they needed me at home to help take care of my baby sister and if I wanted them to pay for college, I'd have to pick a local school. It worked out fine because I got into local theater, had lots of fun, and met my DH in the theater too. I got both my BA and MA at SJSU (a perfectly good school), but I always wished I could have gone to Cal Poly. That's why when my sister was accepted (into an impacted major, where she had to agree to start the summer she graduated from high school instead of having one last summer to play), I made sure it happened. My parents waffled about it ("She's our youngest, we didn't let our other two go away to school, we'll worry about her, etc."). My sister really wanted it and asked my DH and me for advice. I went over to my parents' house and said, "Look, you have enough money put aside for her; she's got excellent grades and test scores (even better than mine, and I had almost a 4.0); she's reliable and has proven herself; she's planning to work part-time to help pay her way; she's been accepted into one of the best accounting departments in the state--You are going to let her go!" Fortunately, they saw it my way.;)

Anyway, my DH and I finally were able to move to the central coast after decades of visiting, so I can't complain. (Well, right now my complaint is that my DH and I have to go to Seattle in the winter to be with our DD when she has the baby. I hate cold and snow, but of course there's no question that I'll drag out my cold weather clothes for my beautiful DD. At least she doesn't live up in the Cascades or something where they have real winters.):p

beachchick

Beachchick - Yup, Cal Poly-SLO. It's deja vu for us as our two daughters graduated from Cal Poly. They are 3 years apart in age and each of them has a daughter at Cal Poly now - one a senior, the other a freshman this year, so now as grandparents instead of parents we're back visiting that campus once again! Love that area, and we're so glad the girls are there. The third grandchild is a boy - FINALLY - and he's a high school junior!

Ko" Olina Beach resort is nice and secluded alright. I love the beach access and quaint atmosphere. I still prefer HHV because a lot more involved and more things to do within the immediate area.

Go Broncos! Wife and I are Cal Poly grads....lol...yes the better one...jk

we totally enjoyed Ko-Olina..we stayed their in my

brother s time share..very quiet, private and couple

of really nice cove s to spend the day taking in the

sun...

we really could nt believe how calm the water s were..

be sure to try their prime-rib buffet..:p

we heard all about the Hawaiian sunsets..and they did nt

disappoint..from our balcony..

Ko-Olina060.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Our family was avid cruisers, but last year we started to feel the need to do something different for awhile. We got one of those special deals to go to check out Ko Olina timeshare and loved it. We are not easy to sell on things, but it was so nice, we bought in. We even knew we would have to give up on cruising for some time (not enough vacation time from work to do both each year).

The lagoons are one of the best features. Hawaii has all public beaches, so it can be a little crazy with people. But Ko Olina has built is own beach swimming areas, and since these are cut into private land, they can establish rules and standards. Also, because it is a private resort, the public can come, but there is limited parking, so it does not get very busy. The beach is nice and the waters are very calm. You will not find the wall to wall people of Waikiki

However, you are not that far away from Waikiki (and other towns), so you have access to shops and services. You are also right next door to the Paradise Cove Luau, so after you use your 6 drink tickets, you can walk back! And there is a marina where you can take a catamaran tour from and a great golf course right on the Ko Olina report grounds.

lagoons.jpg.1eef3e281db979f0025a7de720752d4a.jpg

Archived