GCT-Vienna to Amsterdam Questions

DunhillMom

We are first time cruisers and Nov 7th is not the best time to head off for a cruise, but I have few questions...

1) Is there wireless Internet access available if I bring my laptop?

2) Can you bring any alcohol on board from port, or is it simlilar to ocean cruises where you can't? I was hoping to pick up a few bottles of wine in Vienna...

3) Anyone who has traveled in November on the Grand River cruise? Just how cold do I need to prepare for? We live in FL and rarely get out of flip flops --- BUT, we lived in MA for 25+ years growing up. :) Snow is not unknown to us, but I am hoping it might be warm enough during the day to at least get on the balcony or deck...

Wireless internet access is not available on GCT's ships.

You can bring all the beer, wine and liquor aboard that yo want. The only stipulation is that you dont bring your own in the lounge. They also have a small corkage fee if yo want to drink your own wine at dinner.

I traveled from Amsterdam to Vienna the last 2 weeks in November 3 years ago. The weather was not too bad. It was very mild in Amsterdam..in the 50s and got cooler as we headed south. For most of the trip the temps were in the mid 40's and we got snow the last few days. It got a little breezy on desk while cruising but when you go through the locks is was real comfortable.

Okay -- at least I know. Thanks so much! I guess I need to find a WiFi card that works in three countries...and now I can go shopping in Vienna!

I will try to pack mostly warm...and I guess I'll leave my shorts at home.

Thanks so much.

If you or anyone has other suggestions for the Nov trip...would love to hear...

We did the trip last year on Vantage. Trip started in Vienna on 11/11/07 and we had snow in Vienna one day and light snow in several towns along the river. Other than the snowy days, temps were in the low forties and always overcast. Great trip dispite the weather!

Don

We too have traveled by boat in cold weather. My approach is to go with layers. A long sleeve shirt, fleece and a wind/water proof outer layer. It's easy to adjust for the bus rides and once inside a building. Definately need socks too! A knit cap and gloves will also come in handy (and don't take much packing space.

No one will hassle you about what kind of drink you carry on the boat. We typically pick up a duty free bottle of liquor and then beer and wine as we stop in towns. Our airline carry-on of choice is a soft-sided cooler . . . some ice from the machine and you will be in business.

On the colder itineraries, the boat's lobby coffee machine comes in real handy . . . also try some Gluhwein.

Thanks, Cool Cruiser! I have to ask now -- drinks onboard...how expensive? Beer, or mixed drink? Trying to figure our budget...

Is there a washer and dryer...or do you actually have to figure out how to pack 16 days worth of clothes in a bag?

Is there wireless Internet access onboard? If I brought a laptop?? Or, do they at least have a machine onboard so you can email?

Do you have to buy a phone for access there? I have a mom in a nursing home, and two sons at home I'd like to be able to keep tabs on. Or is the better route to buy a phone card? Do the river boats have a phone you could use them on?

We have done a lot of traveling in Europe, but always on our own with rental car. The river cruise is a whole new thing....Newbies always have a lot of questions that are NEVER in the FAQ's.....

I have never seen a washer & dryer or wireless internet on any of the 3 ships I have been on with GCT. They did have a computer in the library that you could type e-mail on then you would save it to the computer and later on that day someone from GCT would sent all the e-mails at one time so there was no surfing the internet yourself. I have used a AT&T Card that I had brought from Sam's Club here at home but you have to find a pay phone somewhere to use it in as some will not except it. In Switzerland there were too many numbers for the Swiss pay phone to accept so I just brought a local Swiss Phone Card. Ask the Program Directors where thers are Internet Cafes as most of the cities have them and they are not priced too high. If I can remember right I used the phone on the ship to call home as I was not feeling that good and did not want to go find a pay phone some nights. I think my phone bill was abour $27.00 for 3 short call of about 15 minutes total. This was two years ago.

You are going to love this cruise! We did this a little over one year ago and would gladly do it again (if we had the money LOL). We took GCT's flight to Vienna the day the cruise started. We had very little time in Vienna and elected to just board the ship. Others did go into town. The weather really varies- so, as CPT (my DH LOL) said, plan on dressing in layers. Bring sturdy walking shoes (cobblestones)! (sorry, those flip flops will really be out of place except for onboard). As for being out on the balcony or sundeck- yes, you will be there for a good part of each day (when you're not walking in town). So bring those layers! Our ship (MS Concerto) did have an enclosed area up top, but for much of the trip, it had to be dropped due to low bridges.

Internet- yes, your cruise docs will explain how family members can contact you on the ship. The one computer on board was mostly used by people playing solitaire. You do not have direct Internet access on that computer. Your PD's will tell you the location of the local internet cafes at each stop and you will have enough free time to check your emails, etc. I don't remember the cost being prohibitive.

Drinks- I don't remember details, but I do remember that we were pleasantly surprised at the reasonable cost of beer and wine (and daily mixed drink specials). We also bought beer and wine at each port for use in our cabin.

No washer/dryer, but there is laundry service (extra cost). We washed up a few things in the small sink and hung them to dry on the line in the shower. Target sells a ten pack of single-use packs of Tide powder- very convenient.

Cell phones- our phone worked in Europe (we called our provider to arrange for this). Instead of calling (expensive), we texted home (flat rate). But it was comforting to know it was there if we needed it. We emailed DD from Internet cafes.

I did a mini review in August or Sept of 2007- I'll try to find it & post a link.

I really want to thank you for replies. Think I'm good with the answers on beer and wine (important stuff)...that's good news.

I will need to work on solutions for phone and Internet access...maybe I can, maybe I can't. I think phone won't be an issue if one of us has a tri-mode phone that can be programmed for International access. Internet access -- not so sure.

I have a great wireless aircard here that lets me access email, or anything else while even driving down the highway. I need to talk to some providers to see if this possible through the river cruise. I would think Europe has better access points that the US...so we'll see. If I find out anything, I'll post for others.

Although - I may post again with that in the subject line. I can't believe that this is an uncommon problem.

Thanks so much!

Archived