Scuba in Grand Cayman or Cozumel?

BuckI4life

http://www.scubawithalison.com/

We dove with her in July 08 and are planning to again in July 09

Thank you for posting the info about Alison. A couple of years ago there were 11 in our group and we had so much fun. On the way back to the ship she dropped us at her favorite beach "club" where we had a great lunch, enjoyed the water, and then took a taxi back to the ship. It was an absolutely fantastic day. I'm so jealous!!!!!!! Cherie

Heads up, I think I saw on her website (the dive log area?) that she may be out of commission for a while.

Thanks for the heads up. We will be there on the 18 Oct. I hope to hear from her before we leave on the 16th...:)

http://www.scubawithalison.com/divelog/2008.shtml

Tuesday, September 9th

I came out of my surgery just fine. I will be spending a couple of days in the hospital recovering and will spend a few more resting in one of my favorite hotels in Merida. Emails will not be checked nor answered until I come home to Cozumel on October 14th.

I can not dive again until mid October so check back at the end of October for updates to the dive log.

• 2 weeks later...

We dove with "Scuba with Alison" last Friday (10/10). She met us at the dock, but had just resumed diving the previous day and didn't want to do 2 days in a row. She sent us out on her boat with Chucho and we had a great time. Chucho was excellent. If Alison doesn't dive with you, you'll still have a wonderful day with Chucho.

• 2 months later...
Good news! You'll enjoy diving with them. They're a small dive shop but concentrate on making their clients happy. :)

Randall

Turned out to be a great dive! Thanks for the recommendation, Randall!

• 1 month later...

Cozumel has a national beach park, Chankanaab, that charges about $12 US dollars for entry. There is some wonderful shore diving and if you have all of your gear they will have a dive master take you for a dive as long as you have air (they don't rush you) for $10 (or at least that is what they charged last May) to rent a tank and weights. Plus, if you have a non-diver with you, they can snorkel from the beach or just relax under the umbrellas and waiters come out and take food & drink orders. If you don't have your own gear they rent it. When we went (May 10th last year) it was not crowded at all.

You can take a cab to the park from the boat pier and there are cabs there to take you back.

Cozumel has a national beach park, Chankanaab, that charges about $12 US dollars for entry. Actually, entrance fee there is $16There is some wonderful shore diving and if you have all of your gear they will have a dive master take you for a dive as long as you have air (they don't rush you) for $10 (or at least that is what they charged last May) to rent a tank and weights.PLUS you have to pay for the guide, which is mandatory Plus, if you have a non-diver with you, they can snorkel from the beach or just relax under the umbrellas and waiters come out and take food & drink orders. If you don't have your own gear they rent it. When we went (May 10th last year) it was not crowded at all.

You can take a cab to the park from the boat pier and there are cabs there to take you back.

Added my opinions.

Actually, you can print a coupon which saves you a few dollars and the entrance fee for us in May 2008 was $12 a person, however, it would have been higher had we not printed the coupon and we did not have to pay the guide, directly, not sure why the different experiences, but I can just report how we were treated and how fun, easy and inexpensive it was to dive at the park. They even soaked our gear in a fresh water tub afterward and helped us pack our gear. Really nice group.

Actually, you can print a coupon which saves you a few dollars and the entrance fee for us in May 2008 was $12 a person, however, it would have been higher had we not printed the coupon and we did not have to pay the guide, directly, not sure why the different experiences, but I can just report how we were treated and how fun, easy and inexpensive it was to dive at the park. They even soaked our gear in a fresh water tub afterward and helped us pack our gear. Really nice group.

You got a good deal. With nice treatment like that, I'm sure you tipped the guide.

• 1 year later...

Do you know what group that you did this with was? We are going to be in Cozumel in April and are looking at diving here.

I use Blue Angel (http://www.blueangelscuba.com) whenever I am in Cozumel. We have used them as part of a scuba and snorkel trip several years ago. I had a charter on one of their boats with 4 divers and 1 snorkler. It was about $100.00 more than taking their regular dive boat at the time. We were highly satisfied.

We had the boat, a divemaster, a boat captain, and a snorkel guide.

It was great. Dove at Columbia Wall and Columbia Shallows.... Snorkeled inside around COlumbia Shallows... large number of starfish and fish to look at.... also a couple of turtles were there feeding.

They are easy to work with and a large group of divers go there each summer for a week and use them with no complaints.

I will be using them again in june. They are about 1/2 mile from the ship dock.

Tell Jeannie hello.

One thing to consider before deciding on which place to dive (if you can't dive both!:D) is the number of dives you can get in.

At Cozumel you will usually get 2 drift dives, with awesome visibility and sea life. However, on Grand Cayman, you can go to Eden Rock or Sunset House and shore dive for as long and as many times as your computer will allow, for less than $50 (taxi and tanks with your own equipment)! We did both dives last April, and although the drift dives in Coz were great, the 3 hour long shore dives we did at Sunset House were outstanding!

If you are an underwater photographer, shore diving at Grand Cayman can be really good. You get to take your own time, set your own agenda, not compete with others for the best pictures, and not have to worry about silt being stirred up by anyone other than yourself! I took some of my best pictures ever: a jawfish, several good pictures of a stingray, 3 turtles, and one of my all time favorite pictures - the mermaid at Sunset House with the Atlantis submarine right behind it!

Archived