CC class tipping for breakfast in room ?'s

puggylicious

Well we are staying in a CC class cabin for the first time and we are looking forward to having breakfast out on our balcony. Are you supposed to tip the room attendant when he brings the breakfast? And if so how much is recommended? Or is this just part of the perks for staying in a CC class cabin?

Well we are staying in a CC class cabin for the first time and we are looking forward to having breakfast out on our balcony. Are you supposed to tip the room attendant when he brings the breakfast? And if so how much is recommended? Or is this just part of the perks for staying in a CC class cabin?

We never felt it was required, but if the delivery person is not our stateroom attendant then we pass him or her a dollar or two; we tip the stateroom attendant at the end of the cruises for all services.

We really enjoy breakfast in CC class, it is one of the five reasons we book CC staterooms.

Smooth sailing. :)

We have to remember that in many cases these service personnel are not only supporting their individual family, but in many cases a large extended family. Generosity shows respect and dignity. Would you not tip in a hotel in the US.

I tip $5 for breakfast room service for two people. That is only $2.50 apiece. That would be very little in a U.S. coffee shop. These people who work on the ships usually support families at home and do not get to see their families for months. They also work seven days a week. Most of them work very hard so that you will have a nice cruise. IMHO, if you can't afford to tip a couple of bucks, you can't afford to cruise.

We never felt it was required, but if the delivery person is not our stateroom attendant then we pass him or her a dollar or two; we tip the stateroom attendant at the end of the cruises for all services.

We really enjoy breakfast in CC class, it is one of the five reasons we book CC staterooms.

Smooth sailing. :)

what are the other benefits?

what are the other benefits?

Terri23, this is what our TA said about cc class "These staterooms are about 191sq.ft with a veranda at about 41 sq.ft. and feature floor to ceiling glass doors, large sitting area, some with sofa beds, upgraded amenities such as: priority check-in, priority luggage delivery, welcome bottle of champagne, fresh fruit and flowers, extra handheld hair dryer, Hansgrohe massaging showerhead, 100% Egyptian cotton oversized bath towels, plush Frette bathrobes, main and specialty restaurants seating preferences, evening hors d'oeuvres nightly, complimentary shoeshine service, Celebrity tote bag, personalized stationery, complimentary use of golf umbrella and high quality binoculars, an expanded room serivce breakfast menu, pillow menu, VIP invitation to events, early embarkation and debarkation, upgraded chairs on the veranda and more....."

We always tip a two-dollar bill for any room service, but have never ordered a meal.... just fruit or snacks.

We also tip $5.00 to the person who delivers the breakfast, irrespective as to whether that person is or is not our steward. Anything less is cheap.

I hope that you tip all the other staff an equally disportionate amount for the much larger portion of time they spend attending to you. Cabin staff 24 hours...room service attendant 5 minutes. Do sway us with how you handle that and how cheap we must be in that regard too. :p

Hi Guys

Not a mean scot, but the 'tipping' culture in UK, as in Austalia, is completely different to USA. We only really tip if service exceptional but of course in UK all service staff are paid at least the minimum wage.

Our last 2 cruises have been in CC staterooms and it is the stateroom attendant that delivers, and sets up breakfast on balcony. I always prepay tips so attendant is aware, she/he at least, is getting that at end of cruise. If they are very good I give them extra at end but not on daily basis.

If you work out the number of rooms/passengers that each attendant services and even with the minimum tips they are not by any means poorly paid - work it out

I am not cheap, or mean and indeed am quite a generous person, but really we have to get tipping into perspective. It is a tip for service above the norm - not something we give irrespective of the service provided ,

John Campbell

In CC your stateroom attendant usually deliver room service. Our last cruise was typical in that we ordered room service about 6 times, mostly breakfast on early port days - all but one time it was brought by someone other than our attendant. I usually keep a few singles handy and tip a few dollars if someone other than our attendant brings the room service. If it is our attendant I consider that as part of our decision on how much to tip at the end of the cruise.

Terri23, this is what our TA said about cc class "These staterooms are about 191sq.ft with a veranda at about 41 sq.ft. and feature floor to ceiling glass doors, large sitting area, some with sofa beds, upgraded amenities such as: priority check-in, priority luggage delivery, welcome bottle of champagne, fresh fruit and flowers, extra handheld hair dryer, Hansgrohe massaging showerhead, 100% Egyptian cotton oversized bath towels, plush Frette bathrobes, main and specialty restaurants seating preferences, evening hors d'oeuvres nightly, complimentary shoeshine service, Celebrity tote bag, personalized stationery, complimentary use of golf umbrella and high quality binoculars, an expanded room serivce breakfast menu, pillow menu, VIP invitation to events, early embarkation and debarkation, upgraded chairs on the veranda and more....."

We always tip a two-dollar bill for any room service, but have never ordered a meal.... just fruit or snacks.

Thanks - sounds pretty good! We are newcomers to X and so don't know all the scoop yet.

In CC your stateroom attendant usually deliver room service. Our last cruise was typical in that we ordered room service about 6 times, mostly breakfast on early port days - all but one time it was brought by someone other than our attendant. I usually keep a few singles handy and tip a few dollars if someone other than our attendant brings the room service. If it is our attendant I consider that as part of our decision on how much to tip at the end of the cruise.

Thank you!

Sorry finelycruising, but as far as we are concerned anything less than $5.00, for the in room breakfast set up is cheap. Also, we offer gratuities for other personnel in accordance with the service rendered.

Look, I really don't care what your style of tipping is, yet in no way shape or form do I think I am cheap or that others are cheap based on your comments, so it's really pretty simple.

Boy, I must be the CHEAPEST of all cheapskates! I understood that the tipping policy covered all services. When we were in a Sky Suite last year, we ordered coffee and croissants every morning--and figured that was part of the duties of the butler--who got tipped at the end of the cruise. Never even considered tipping for each and every service provided.

If you go to a restaurant and ask the waiter to bring some butter, do you tip extra for that--or is it part of the overall service and covered by the 20% you leave at the end of the meal?

I have been on at least 20 cruises, am very undemanding and grateful for any services provided, and this is the first time I have been called "cheap".

I am pretty insulted by these comments. I understood that name-calling was not tolerated on these boards.

Cathy

Down the slippery slope of my wallet is bigger than yours... :p

Good question of the OP. I am due for a CC room in January, so I can only comment on what I have learned here on these boards.

Is it required? No.

Question answered. I hope that all people understand that not all cultures in this world are American, and so tipping is different for all people. Let's "live and let live" without name calling.

Mark.

By the way - Enjoy your CC room! We are looking forward to it too!

Down the slippery slope of my wallet is bigger than yours... :p

Good question of the OP. I am due for a CC room in January, so I can only comment on what I have learned here on these boards.

Is it required? No.

Question answered. I hope that all people understand that not all cultures in this world are American, and so tipping is different for all people. Let's "live and let live" without name calling.

Mark.

By the way - Enjoy your CC room! We are looking forward to it too!

As I have stated previously...I don't believe in the OPEN WALLET reasoning about tipping and service...and I am an American. Believe me not all Americans are so free with their cash. When one must work hard to make it (and NOT a huge amt. at that) you learn to be frugal WITH it. (And so help me if I hear again from that person who keeps harping on the theme "If you can't afford the extra money to throw around...you have no business cruising....What an asinine attitude...no wonder we're considered "Ugly Americans!) Tips for every little thing...yes I know they only earn..."yada yada". Did you ever compare what level of living that makes for them in their own country??? Attendants have at least 20 people (10 cabins) they get tips from...at CC suggested tip...4$pp...thats $80. a day at minimum! There are a lot of people here in the good old US that don't get that, and figure OUR cost of living!! So don't throw the old "they don't get paid enough"! If you're not used to working at blue collar wages and getting NO TIPS here at home..you don't appreciate how we that have done so feel about all this extraneous tipping!

We tipped $2.00. I practically had to chase them to the door to give it to them. I don't think we're "cheap".

We had the same experience last year on the Summit (Hawaii). We were in CC and had breakfast delivered a couple of times. Each time, my DH practically had to chase her down to give her the tip (not our room steward). He also had the same experience with the dude that showed us to our cabin (and carried our carry-ons) on embarkation day. It almost made me feel like it was not the "right" thing to do and they didn't expect it.

Someone else had asked if they call before they deliver to your cabin. The answer is yes, they always called us before knockiing - about 5 minutes or so.

Archived