No more Gala Midnight Buffet

jamon

Just returned from the 9/20/08 sailing of the Liberty and had a great time. Just a side note, that Carnival no longer has the Gala Buffet on their ships according to one of the Matrie D on the ship. Was wondering if anyone has heard anything about this on the Carnival site, and he mentioned it was fleet wide. Any thoughts???

Just returned from the 9/20/08 sailing of the Liberty and had a great time. Just a side note, that Carnival no longer has the Gala Buffet on their ships according to one of the Matrie D on the ship. Was wondering if anyone has heard anything about this on the Carnival site, and he mentioned it was fleet wide. Any thoughts???

Yes, its fleetwide. There is a rather long thread floating around re: the elimination of the Gala Buffet.

I just got off the Valor 9/14 - 9/21/08 and I asked the same question as to why there was no Midnight Buffet. Our Maitre'D said Carnival had changed there dinner menus to offer more of what people liked in food varations. He said on a large number of comment cards, people felt the buffet was offered too late at night. Because its usually around 1:00 in the morning before people can actually eat the food, with 45 minutes allowed for pictures and people to walk through and observe the buffet. So they decided to not offer it any more.

I have just returned from the Ecstasy and the afternoon chocolate buffet is gone too.. That I missed!... And when I asked my server what night was creme brulee, she said it wasn't offered on 5 day sailings anymore.. I have seen some say they had it on 5 day, but not us..

What next?:rolleyes:

You know, I have to agree with the fact of people taking more pictures than eating the food. Because I am one of those people. I love to look at all the different foods fixed up up the way they were but I just could not eat that late. But my kids are coming with me on their first cruise and that is one of the things that I wanted them to see. Oh well, I have my pics from previous cruises.

In 5 cruises, I've never been able to make it to a Gala buffet.

I made it to when they started doing photos, but ended up leaving the line to go to bed, lol.

It was one of the 'must do' things on our upcoming cruise, as we're planning on babies shortly after, and have no idea when the next cruise will be after that.

I'm sad to hear it's gone! We also went looking for the chocolate buffet on the Victory, but never heard/saw it either. :(

Just off the Glory and there was no midnight buffet but I didn't miss it. On my first cruise I went to the buffet to see and photograph it and it was a really long wait in line then another long line to actually eat it (which I didn't bother to wait in). Seemed kind of gross that the food sat around for so long before it was actually eaten.

I have just returned from the Ecstasy and the afternoon chocolate buffet is gone too.. That I missed!... And when I asked my server what night was creme brulee, she said it wasn't offered on 5 day sailings anymore.. I have seen some say they had it on 5 day, but not us..

What next?:rolleyes:

I wasnt aware that the chocolate buffet was offered on all cruises.

We were on the September 7, 2008, Carnival Conquest cruise and they did have the Midnight Gala Buffet. We were told that it was the last one and that there would be no more on any of the Carnival ships. We did get pictures and we did sample quite a bit. But, I do understand the discontinuing of it. There was way too much food for just over 200 people. Most only took pictures. We had eaten at the Supper Club that night but felt that it was being too wasteful not to at least sample so we got one plate and shared it between four of us. Got lots of pictures though. The buffet will not be missed other than the photo ops. We were also told that the cookbook they were selling was being discontinued as well. Not sure if they will be offering a new one or not. My guess is that they will since the Chef for the fleet is new. Hope this was helpful.

Our buffet was on the Formal night (Jan 08). I was stuffed, and couldn't imagine another big plate of food. Granted I did take pictures and it was all fruit, cheese and desserts, so it wasn't like heavy food, but still who wants to go back and eat that much more food. I might have done it on another night, but not formal night.

I've only been to the gala buffet twice. Both times the the desserts were the only thing I found worthy of being on my plate. I tried several different items other than the desserts, but nothing I chose to try was worth a second bite. I keep going back to the chocolate buffet each time hoping it will get better, but sadly it hasn't. I couldn't imagine that chocolate could be so bad. :(

I went to the gala buffet on my first cruise and only lasted a couple of minutes. I hate to wait around in line to look at food....just not my thing on a vacation.

With a late seating for dinner I certainly would never eat at that time and if i do want something after an evening in the disco pizza or room service is just fine!

You can add me and my family to the list of people who will not miss it.

I did the Gala Buffet last year for both pictures and eating. Honestly, i thought all the food on the ship was excellent however, most of the food on the gala wasn't all that great. Mostly, just pretty. I do see it being a waste of all that food.

I think they should add maybe an Italianor some other themed buffet like they do the Mexican as a second night time buffet. The night I went to the mexican one, they ran out of food so I doubt much of it goes to waste like at the Gala Buffet. I would rather see these types of buffets then the gala one.

I don't think the Gala Buffet will be missed that much. It was a bigger deal before they started having the 24 hr pizza and stuff. The midnight buffet was the only food you could eat after dinner was served. Now, they have food all the time. I agree too that the gala buffet food usually looked better than it tasted. As long as they don't get rid of the warm chocolate cake!!!

Archived