Oil Prices Drop - Give Me Back My Money

james j feller

whether it's surcharges for fuel on a cruise line or paying extra for evreything on airlines we are being nicholed and dime and screwed every time we travel. It's $2 to check a bag with United and then you still have to tip the porter. No meals on a tans continental flight. $50 because your bag weighs more than 50 lbs. Mini drinks are now $6 instead of $5. I'm getting to the point that it isn't worth traveling anymore. They even raise the cost to park your car by $2-5 a day and what effects those costs?

We are going to see a tax increase to offset the bailout and that at least makes sense. Now if we didn't have to spend $10 billion a month in Iraq we might se a light at the end of the financial tunnel. Now I'll get off my soap box.

Note Carnival's most-recent earnings press release. Attached is a relevant passage. Note that if the current fuel supplement remains in place for all of 2009, and assuming fuel remains at its current price, the supplement would offset only 43% of the fuel price increase.

"Based on current spot prices for fuel of $598 per metric ton, full year 2008 fuel expense is now forecast to increase by $678 million compared to 2007, which will have the effect of reducing full year 2008 earnings by $0.83 per share. The existing fuel supplements in place, if entirely incremental, are expected to offset approximately 25 percent of the $678 million fuel price increase for 2008. With current supplements remaining in place for 2009, and assuming current spot prices stay in place for all of 2009, the company estimates that approximately 43 percent of the cumulative increase in fuel costs since 2007 would be offset."

I sure would like to see the numbers that support that....for all anyone knows here they are still on a contract they hedged quite sometime ago....

Count me as one of those who thinks if their costs go up fine, then just build the increase into the fare.

Tayo

Archived