If you're going to put liquor in your suitcase

Aurori

BUBBLE WRAP IT!!

I made the mistake of assuming the corrugated cardboard box w/ cardboard separators for each bottle would be sufficient. Wrong! The airlines tossed my bags around hardcore, damaging the zipper on my large one, busting open a bag on the inside, and worst of all.... breaking a 1 litre bottle of Kahlua :(:(:(.

Lesson learned. If you're going to put alcohol in your luggage, bring bubble wrap!

luggage.jpg

luggage.jpg

BUBBLE WRAP IT!!

I made the mistake of assuming the corrugated cardboard box w/ cardboard separators for each bottle would be sufficient. Wrong! The airlines tossed my bags around hardcore, damaging the zipper on my large one, busting open a bag on the inside, and worst of all.... breaking a 1 litre bottle of Kahlua :(:(:(.

Lesson learned. If you're going to put alcohol in your luggage, bring bubble wrap!

luggage.jpg

luggage.jpg

Alcohol abuse!!!!!!!

Yes, I always bubble wrap and also put it in a gallon size ziplock bag.

Sorry about your loss as Kahlua is my favorite drink but, If you do much flying and take a look at the baggage carrousel, it's pretty visible the damage that can be done to your luggage. I NEVER pack breakables or valuables in checked luggage! Put them in carry-on ONLY. Might be a little inconvenient but sure a lot safer!

Sorry about your loss as Kahlua is my favorite drink but, If you do much flying and take a look at the baggage carrousel, it's pretty visible the damage that can be done to your luggage. I NEVER pack breakables or valuables in checked luggage! Put them in carry-on ONLY. Might be a little inconvenient but sure a lot safer!

You CANT pack liquor bottles in carry-on baggage.

Please tell your secret how to get a bottle of booze onto a plane in you carry on luggage.

Always leave the glass at home... put your booze in plastic bottles.

Not only did you waste good booze... Just think how the passenger who's suitcase was under yours feels, having a booze soaked suitcase as well.:eek:

The OP bought the booze on some island or on the ship, since it was packed in the boxes they give you.

You can buy padded "sleeves" to put the bottles in and then wrap in bubble wrap and plastic. we have done this without a problem and with the price of wine on the ship...well you know what I mean. Everyone in our group packed liquor in their suitcase and had no problem at all.

Cindi ;)

Just to make that clear... I have shipped wine home from Napa but bought a special box. When we go to Germany we bring back as much as we can of certain things we can't get here. I have a hard sided smaller suitcase. Baggage handlers HATE big hard sided bags and they are heavy so they get abused. Stick to a small 22/24 inch bag. Wrap your socks over them for cushion, then put in zip locked bags and wrap the rest of your clothes around them. I never have a problem. I can fit four big bottles in my case and plenty of clothes. I live in Fl so don't have to worry about my rum coming from Nassau but know many that want to take it home. I work at an airport and have seen a few dripping suitcases but some people just put them in the bags on top and don't cushion them. Also don't put fragile on your bags. I know this sounds mean but those guys make min wage, no benefits and they have some of the hardest work. The have to get that plane loaded in record time and a 70 pound bag doesn't make their day. I swear the extra fees should be passed on to them with a raise.

so were you able to salvage the Kahlua soaked shoes.....:D

3 pairs of shoes were affected. 1 pair of ecco sandals which only got sprinkled with kahlua... rescued! 1 pair of water shoes... rescued (duh). 1 pair of leather loafers which pretty much absorbed the majority of the spill. I'm not sure if i can salvage that pair or not, still trying! Looks like the shirts that got hit are going to come clean. It's amazing, since all the shirts that were packed in that bag were white.

I think all-in-all i got lucky. I'm going to mail Delta today and see if they'll cover any of the expense. I'm not very optimistic, but it's worth a shot.

We have packed liquor and traveled. I normally wrap the bottle in bubble wrap, then into a gallon bag, and then I wrap it up in a beach towel just in case there is an accidental spillage.

I think i'd need something larger than a 1 gallon bag unless I transfer the contents, no? A 1 litre bottle of Grey Goose is quite tall.

Archived