Musings after my first cruise:Century ,Western Med.

Azulann

I am a veteran winter vacationer to Mexico. I had only seen cruise ships from afar. They would appear in the morning in the bays of Acapulco, Puerta Vallarta, Zihuatenajo. They would disgorge their passengers for a day. We, land vacationers, would stay away from the markets/center of the town during "cruise day". At night I would watch the twinkling lights of the ship as it slipped gracefully out of the bay, moving along the horizen of the ocean. Someday I said to myself I would like to be standing on the deck of one of those ships.

I did. I joined my sister in law and her husband(veterans if 16 cruises) and sailed on the Century for 11 nights in the Western Med (Sept 8-19).

After three wonderful days in Barcelona it was Cruise Day. I had reseached all the ports of call, read all the advise and ongoing discussions on the Cruise Critic boards. I was ready and full of excitment. Through the taxi window I could see the Century moored next to the larger Summit. My new home for eleven day was huge in my eyes. I felt like my granddaughter the day we entered the Magic Kingdom of Disney. "This is awesome".My mantra, given to me by Ann a fellow crusier, became"I feel like I am in a movie"!!

Only on a Cruise Ship

"Welcome aboard, Madam" while being offered a glass of champagne. I got use to being called madam or even "My Lady" by the third day!

Never got tired of watching the sail away from ports. The first time was a party. The band playing, lots of people standing near the railing of the open decks, drink in hand, waving to the passengers of the Summit, horns of both ships blaring ,as we effortlessly moved away from the dock.

Outstanding service and friendliness by every crew member I met. Assigned seating at dinner now makes sense. Our wait staff, wine steward, bartendar all got to know the eight of us. They knew our preferences by the third night. My roommate has a gluten intolerance. Our waiter told her each night what she could eat off the menu. Oftentimes with a slight adjustment of the entree sauces or side dish she could always find something wonderful to eat. She never got sick.

NO one will ever go hungry on a cruise. The variety of dishes from breakfast to late night sancks was close to decadent. Yes, I too loved the waffles, ice cream, and chilled soups.

Best of all is the perspcetive of seeing the contours of the land from the water. The hill, mountains of Spain, France, Italy, Corsica, Morocco were the backdrop for my sunrise view of each new port, from the open deck. VilleFrance and Ajacco,Corsica at dawn took my breath away with the beauty of the place.

best memory: Sitting on the deck of the Sunset Bar wathcing the wake of bright blue water of the Med. Sea. This is the sea that the Phonecians, Greeks, Romans and other sailed. Here I am a modern seafarer in the lap of luxury doing the same. "I am in a movie" and it finally ended.

The Century has set the cruise standard for me. My next "movie "I will be in is Panama Canal 2010!!

Great to hear that you had a wonderful first experience. We have been waiting for someone to write about this cruise. We leave Oct 20 and are getting very excited. What did you do in the ports? Any pointers would be helpfull. How were the seas for you?

Glad you are now a cruiser.

Gary, the seas were very calm,except for one night as we left Corsica. We went through a storm. The ship was really rocking during our second seating dinner. By 10pm the water was spraying out of the pools drenching the stage area of the pool deck. Went to bed and felt like I was being rocked in a cradle. I am glad I don't suffer from seasickness. All the other days were calm at sea and in port. Only had one rainy morning: the day we went into Rome.

I will post a very detailed report of the ports and shore excursions by tomorrow. Included will be our extra day in port due to a ship mechancial problem and what Celebrity did to compensate the passengers. I will put my report on a new thread.

I know you will be having a great cruise in a most beautiful area of Europe.

Patti

Sailed

Century: Western Med. Sept 2008

Patti,

Thank you for the update. Looking forward to more.

I am wondering if I need to sign up for shore excursions ahead of time. Did you find or hear that many excursions were sold out?

Did you eat at Murano's? We plan on taking our parents there one evening.

We are vegetarians. Did you happen to notice the vegetarian options on the menus? There is some discrepency as to whether there is a seperate vegetarian menu or if they just have you order the vege option on the regular menu.

We have not cruised Celebrity in 10 years. We remember it as an upscale line. I understand that it is probably more mainstream now. I do realize that you do not have other cruise experience to compare it to. What line are you going to take through the Panama Canal?

Looking forward to hearing more about your cruise.

Gary

Gary, we signed up for three ship excursions months before the cruise. I suggest you do that if you really want a particular excursion. If your parents have any health or walking issues look closely at the level of difficulty of the ships excursions. I saw alot of older folks having a really hard time in Avignon and Tangiers because of the steps, uneven walks and dimly lit passageways. A couple of tours were all full and people on ship were on a waiting list.

There is not a separate vegetarian menu. On the dinner menu there is always a fish and vegetarian pasta entree. The appetizers, soups and salads will not be a problem. They also offer grilled salmon everynight. We never got to Murano's. My roommate was "gluten intolerant" and we thought it was simpler not to spend $30 and have to expalin what she cannot eat.

As to planning my Panama canal cruise, I have just begun to look at dates first, itinerary second ,then ships. My sister is a school teacher so we have to work around her break time or maybe we can do a Dec or Jan cruise. The 2010 schedule has not fully come out. Have you done this cruise? Have you any suggestions? Are you going early or staying after the cruise in Barcelona? I fell in love with the city. I want to do a land vacation thoughout Spain. Some many trips, so little time and less savings every day!:eek:

Have a great cruise and write a trip report when you get back.

Any other questions, let me know,

Patti

Thank you for your "report". Looking forward to reading more in depth. I, too, am leaving on the 20th on the same cruise. Can't wait.

8/99 Alaska Celebrity

8/01 Scandinavia/Russia Princess

1/05 Western Carribean Celebrity

10/05 Hawaii Norwegian

1/07 Panama Canal Celebrity

8/07 Hawaii Norwegian

1/08 South America – Celebrity

Thank you for your "report". Looking forward to reading more in depth. I, too, am leaving on the 20th on the same cruise. Can't wait.

Thank you again Patti for all the great info.

Retired,

Glad to hear you will be on board with us. Please go to the roll call for this cruise and sign up for the CC meeting. It can only happen if we get at least 25 people.

Patti,

Thank you again for the info. I have not yet been through the Canal, but it is on my list. Any line you do will be great. We are partial to NCL, but have never had a bad cruise experience.

We are going 3 days early to spend some time in Barcelona. It will be our first time there. After the cruise we are flying to Brussels and will spend three days relaxing in Bruges before heading back to Chicago.

I will report upon my return.

GAry

Your experience sounds so familiar, our first cruise was on the Med. in Sept of 2006 on Millennium. It hooked us on cruising.

We started in Venice (now that's a sailaway!) and ended up in Barcelona 12 days later. Perfect weather the entire trip until the morning we flew out of Barcelona when the skies opened up and it poured.

I'm guessing this view looks familiar.

http://picasaweb.google.com/boomae/EuropeCruise#5252952593238979074

Redcup, Yes, yes, yes, I could look at your great picture of the blue wake all day long! thanks for sharing.:)

Gary, we too arrived in Barcelona three days early. You will fall in love with the city. So many things to do there. It is an easy walking city. If you like museums be sure to tour the Maritime Museum down by Port Vell.

Patti

Your experience sounds so familiar, our first cruise was on the Med. in Sept of 2006 on Millennium. It hooked us on cruising.

We started in Venice (now that's a sailaway!) and ended up in Barcelona 12 days later. Perfect weather the entire trip until the morning we flew out of Barcelona when the skies opened up and it poured.

I'm guessing this view looks familiar.

http://picasaweb.google.com/boomae/EuropeCruise#5252952593238979074

These are wonder pictures....all 122. I have got to get my wife to check them out. They make me want to go. We were thinking of this cruise next year, followed by a trans-Atlantic.(Unfortunately Santorini was not on the itinerary, and it looks absolutely beautiful.) However, our 2010 Hawaiian cruise was cancelled, and we booked a Panama cruise next October (with a $200 OBC incentive thrown in :)) instead. So, now we will consider the Med trip for 2010.

And yes, that wake looks so familiar. Aft deck 10 is one of my very favorite places on the ships. Our first cruise was on Century several years ago; if you find that you like it, that first cruise is always special isn't it?

Wonderful photos. Thanks for Sharing.

Thanks for the compliments. We took about 1100 pictures on that cruise. Every aspect of the trip was almost perfect, I'm almost hesitant to do it again because I'm afraid it wouldn't surpass our first trip.

But we are going again. Probably in 2010 on Solstice or Equinox. We're ready to try another ship. I want to go on Century, too but the timing hasn't worked out yet. We need to build up enough airline miles to to business class on British Airways again...Now that's traveling!

I am sitting at home in Scotland with the central heating on and have had a great time viewing your photos. I am travelling from Barcelona to Venice next June on the Summit and am wishing it was tomorrow.

Thanks redcupr for transporting me for a little while from a dreich (thats cold and wet in scots ! ;) ) night at home to the beautiful sunny med :cool:

... Through the taxi window I could see the Century moored next to the larger Summit.

We got off the Summit the morning that you boarded the Century. As we left the port, we also saw the two of them docked together. (see attachment below)

Your perspective of the anticipation and experience of your cruise is thoroughly enjoyable. I also loved your itinerary, which covered about half of the same places that our Venice to Barcelona trip did. I would have loved to visit Turkey - that will come next.

I have now created an illustrated version of our cruise at:

http://www.freewebs.com/med-review

Regards

Roy

90693321_TwoTimesX.jpg.96700a38103a69967336653c00759075.jpg

I am sitting at home in Scotland with the central heating on and have had a great time viewing your photos. I am travelling from Barcelona to Venice next June on the Summit and am wishing it was tomorrow.

Thanks redcupr for transporting me for a little while from a dreich (thats cold and wet in scots ! ;) ) night at home to the beautiful sunny med :cool:

CHAMPAGNEGLASS,

Enjoy your cruise in June, I am jealous. I've got to get our next trip over there booked so I have something to look forward to. Save to energy for Venice, lots of walking, lots to see. Since we started in Venice, by the time we got to Barcelona we were tired and didn't get as much out of the city as we should have.

My mother's family is from Edinburgh, so I must make the pilgrimage to the "homeland" in the near future. Sounds like I'll be right at home with the weather, we've got the same cool/damp/dreary weather here in Seattle.

Azulann, sorry for hijacking this thread...

Roy and Val, Loved reading your trip review! Your lunches sounded wonderful in each port. One of my favorite ports too was Villefranche. It was picture perfect. One of the best things about a criuse is meeting people from all over the world. Everyone is on vacation and in a good mood. I agree with you on sea days that the pool deck can get crowded. We also found space above deck twelve that had some loungers and it was nice and quiet with a great view of the Med. Sea.

Hope you do get to Turkey someday. I am have my sights set on the Panaman Canal.

Patti

We too are on Century in a couple of weeks, thankyou all for an insight into what to expect. Really can't wait now.....

Patti, your description of Mexico caught my eye as we were fortunate enough to sail to the ports you mentioned just last year, another wonderful trip.

The Panama is also on our list!

Cheers,

Please please please post on your ports of call quickly! We're leaving on 10/20 same cruise and would love some insight, especially on the two stops in Morocco. We've booked private tours for them and would like to hear about your favorite and least favorite things. Thanks so much.

CheriKM, I did post my report of the ports etc. It is on this board either on page 4 or 5 as of today. The title of the thread is : Century(9/8-19)One Missed Port,Shore Excursions,Port Review.

Have a great cruise, and I wait for your trip report when you get back

Patti

I am a veteran winter vacationer to Mexico. I had only seen cruise ships from afar. They would appear in the morning in the bays of Acapulco, Puerta Vallarta, Zihuatenajo. They would disgorge their passengers for a day. We, land vacationers, would stay away from the markets/center of the town during "cruise day". At night I would watch the twinkling lights of the ship as it slipped gracefully out of the bay, moving along the horizen of the ocean. Someday I said to myself I would like to be standing on the deck of one of those ships.

I did. I joined my sister in law and her husband(veterans if 16 cruises) and sailed on the Century for 11 nights in the Western Med (Sept 8-19).

After three wonderful days in Barcelona it was Cruise Day. I had reseached all the ports of call, read all the advise and ongoing discussions on the Cruise Critic boards. I was ready and full of excitment. Through the taxi window I could see the Century moored next to the larger Summit. My new home for eleven day was huge in my eyes. I felt like my granddaughter the day we entered the Magic Kingdom of Disney. "This is awesome".My mantra, given to me by Ann a fellow crusier, became"I feel like I am in a movie"!!

Only on a Cruise Ship

"Welcome aboard, Madam" while being offered a glass of champagne. I got use to being called madam or even "My Lady" by the third day!

Never got tired of watching the sail away from ports. The first time was a party. The band playing, lots of people standing near the railing of the open decks, drink in hand, waving to the passengers of the Summit, horns of both ships blaring ,as we effortlessly moved away from the dock.

Outstanding service and friendliness by every crew member I met. Assigned seating at dinner now makes sense. Our wait staff, wine steward, bartendar all got to know the eight of us. They knew our preferences by the third night. My roommate has a gluten intolerance. Our waiter told her each night what she could eat off the menu. Oftentimes with a slight adjustment of the entree sauces or side dish she could always find something wonderful to eat. She never got sick.

NO one will ever go hungry on a cruise. The variety of dishes from breakfast to late night sancks was close to decadent. Yes, I too loved the waffles, ice cream, and chilled soups.

Best of all is the perspcetive of seeing the contours of the land from the water. The hill, mountains of Spain, France, Italy, Corsica, Morocco were the backdrop for my sunrise view of each new port, from the open deck. VilleFrance and Ajacco,Corsica at dawn took my breath away with the beauty of the place.

best memory: Sitting on the deck of the Sunset Bar wathcing the wake of bright blue water of the Med. Sea. This is the sea that the Phonecians, Greeks, Romans and other sailed. Here I am a modern seafarer in the lap of luxury doing the same. "I am in a movie" and it finally ended.

The Century has set the cruise standard for me. My next "movie "I will be in is Panama Canal 2010!!

How eloquently stated.

Keep the movie machine running - when on the Canal if in the locks at lunch go to sit down lunch.

Nice to view from there.

Archived