Have you canceled/postponed cruises due to Meltdown?

Jaffa

I have spoken to some friends in Syd today that have canceled 2 cruises next year to the Med and Caribean on SB and already know of a mate in BA who has canceled a grand SS cruise 64 nights from middle east due to the US meltdown and its world affects.

Is anybody else planning to change, or has already canceled/postponed cruises due to present circumstances?

I see the late Nov early Dec prices tumbleing across virtually all cruise lines including SB, SS and Crystal (more strongly so than the last 2 years). RSSC seems to be holding out.

The 90 day full payment mark for Jan cruises is now here. With the peak cruise season (March) Full payments due by Dec, It will interesting to see what happens.

I heard a spokesman for Seatrade on the radio on the weekend who said the industry is braceing for a tough 12 months. He said that Celebrity has already canceled their 2009/10 Asia/Australia season refunding bookings and offering alternatives and recalling their ships to cruise from the US and close to home.

I can imagine there will be some great deals to be had next year. I am already recieving quite a few that just seem to be getting better and better. I also believe both SS and SB will struggle a bit with the new capacity coming online as well.

As world credit begins to dry up further away from the United States, like it is begining to do now, borrowing for trips will become much harder and more expensive.

Any comments or thoughts ??

Jaffa, you raise a delicate and sensitive question, that ordinarily many would treat rather lightly. However, to not at least wonder about the long reaching consequences of this mess would not seem normal. Would tyhink that most people travelling on this cruise line would not be "borrowing" to do so. The more interesting question is how many of these people are perhaps retirees or people on fixed incomes albiet far above what might be considered the average. These people are the hardest hurt in this situation with the least amount of time to recoup their losses and then we could see some definite pulling back in ALL things not just luxury cruising. It is difficult to go on a holiday and try to be ignorant of what is going on in the world - every day hearing the television, reading the newspapers and seeing that market plummeting not just in the United States but throughout the world and for this reason it could take the simple joy out of what should be fun. It would take a hard person to enjoy themselves when there is so much turmoil around us. All of that being put aside, those that can need to continue to spend money and keep things going, the world virtually stops if the cash register stops clinging; people have no work, it really comes to a standstill. So, Please DO NOT CANCEL any trips without stopping to think that it is not just you that is being affected by this decision. Will be reading to see other points of view on this matter. Thanks for raising this topic. R'

Not only are you a Proper Lady...you are a Smart Lady! If we all continue in as near a normal way as possible, we will be doing our small share for a return to a more normal situation. We can only hope that the "powers that be" can come forward and get a hold where it is needed. Let's hold positive thoughts.

I had a 12 day cruise planned to the Caribbean on the Spirit December of 2009. I've shortened it to a 7 day cruise.

I had already added, and paid for, a week pre-cruise at a resort in Guanacaste to my Panama Canal cruise this year, which tacked on lots of $$, so I'm reining myself in a bit next year! I would say, yes, the economic news is affecting my decision, in that I feel I need to tone down my spending. I tend to go overboard...ahem...when it comes to vacations, I love to travel. In style!

Jane

This is a matter that is on many peoples' minds. There is a psychological as well as financial element at play. Even passengers who are in strong financial shape may feel a need to pull back on "luxuries" until things sort out more clearly. In addition, many new cruise ships are being built (including Seabourn) which, combined with the financial mess, will create a "perfect storm" for the cruise industry. So, yes, expect many deep price cuts on all lines in the coming months.

I suppose we first have to ask whether world cruisers are different from "regular" cruisers? Is a world cruise a discretionary luxury or a once-in-a-lifetime event? If the latter, then I think those passengers will take their cruise even if it means emptying their savings accounts. Any world cruisers out there that would like to comment?

I have never been interested in a world cruise (100 days +) but if I was considering one I believe I would rethink it for next year ~~

I don't plan on cancelling any of my future Seabourn bookings but they are 14 and 21 days.

I do think the cruise industry will suffer during these uncertain times.

MB

I think you are correct Martita. Cancellation of existing bookings will be less of a problem than lack of new bookings but the cruise industry, especially the upper end, will likely see a downturn comparable to that after 9/11. Seabourn, fortunately, is protected to some extent by Carnival's deep pockets.

• 4 weeks later...
I think I would delay booking anything for next year waiting to see if any discounts emerge.

Seabourn seems to have responded a little by responding to the debut of Odyssey by discounting many Europen cruises(French and Italian Rivieras) by $1000 next year. No discounts on the 50% off cruises, but the $1000 discount on some of the trips come in a little better than 50%. It's a pretty good deal. It should help--we are taking a look, but probably will go Alaska because of the super high mile requirements for upgrades to Europe! Don

Archived