over the door thingy

candlecamp

We bought ours at Wal-Mart, but I have seen them at Bed, Bath and Beyond and at Linens and Things. Container Store also has them, but a bit pricier.

We like how easy it is to store and find things while on board, because we bring all kinds of little stuff with us: batteries, high-liters, post-it notes, clothespins, pens, pedometers plus the assortment of shoes and sandals that we don't trip over.

I got mine at the dollar store. I tried it here at home and found that the metal hangers that are provided don't allow the door to close completely, so I chucked them and substituted some magnetized clips like you use on the 'fridge (I got some larger, heavier ones at Staples). I'll be trying it for the first time this weekend, so I can't say how it works in "real time" but it worked in my experiments.

• Administrators
I boght one at Dollar Tree, took it on a cruise, couldn't figure out what to put in it, as the cabin seemed to have adequate storage, and donated it to Goodwill when we got home.

:) I agree, most cabins do have adequate storage, and have had for years. I think whether one finds these useful is just a matter of personal style -- some will and some won't.

I'm part of the over the door organizer thingie fan club because I don't want to have everything put away neatly out of sight in a drawer or nook/cranny. That means I have to spend vacation time trying to remember which drawer or cranny has what I'm looking for, then go hunt for it and find it. My over the door organizer lets me put all the small stuff we use right where I can find it quickly and be on my way. It weighs a few ounces, takes up almost no room, and if it saves me 10 minutes a day hunting for stuff, that's an extra hour of my cruise I can spend relaxing. For others, they would prefer to have the small cabin feel "larger" by not having any visual clutter, and I can understand that, too.

After retiring "old faithful" last year, we bought our replacement at Target last spring -- it was about $8.

I bought one (not mesh - vinyl) at one of those $ store places. Took it on an 11 night cruises. We hung it up and it was huge, hung all the way down to the floor and we only could find a use for a few of the 'pockets', so we took it down and threw it away. I felt like it took up more space out into the walkway than it was worth.

I bought another one for another longer cruise but cut it down so that it was only about 1/3 it's original size. It gave us all of the pockets we needed for storing things and felt less intrusive.

We have a Dollar Store and a Dollar General Store near us, I do not remember which store I purchased them at.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Target and K-Mart have these often in the luggage department or even in the cosmetic department along with cosmetics bags. Try Kohl's too, if there is one near you. Also check JC Penney's luggage department. I prefer the ones with a hook at the top rather than an over-the-door device.

A few years back RCCI gave these away as a cruise gift to Crown and Anchor members. They are very sturdy, hold a lot and I have used mine ever since. They were the best cruise gifts RCCI ever gave.

I also picked up a shoe hanging bag at my thrift store. It snaps over the hanging rod in the closet, and folds flat for transport. I'm thinking I can put my shoe's in it, then pack the thing. Should be room left over for my sisters. Then, hang it in the closet, and can grab different shoes whenever I want. (I am driving, so will be carrying anything, and everything I need..)

1st cruise, I took one for the bathroom door, and loaded it with everything. Loved having it all in one place, no hunting for the hairbrush, sunscreen, camera, everything that will fit. I expect to really use it next cruise as my sister will be my roommate..

Anything that I can use to keep down the where'd-I-put-that? leaves me with more time to relax, another hint. empty a suitcase, put it available under the bed, and just toss dirty clothes in when necessary. Should be full by the time its over, and/or I can put the still clean leftovers in 2 gallon zip loc bags for transport home.

Archived