I am interested in purchasing decent Snorkel Gear. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Margery

I have heard that with a mustache it hard to get air tight fit. Other then shaving it off what else can be done to get a good fit?

Shaving is really the best answer.

As for a mask with purge, the first time I heard of that I asked about it on a scuba forum. Just about every single answer was against it. It is another possible failure (leaking) point. For scuba diving, I can understand that reasoning. For snorkeling, well, you can easily clear the mask with one hand, so it's also not quite that necessary.

I've found fabulous deals at leisurepro.com I like the reviews they have on all the products and their prices are usually unbeatable.

We just came back from the Caribbean. We took masks, dry snorkels, short travel fins, and full length rash guards. One of our best purchases was a very large mesh dive duffel that collapses to nothing in a suitcase. We carried everything onshore in this bag!

• 2 weeks later...

I been at this quite a while and purchased the cheap stuff and the great gear. I have found the best stuff at Leisure Pro:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=Info&Topic=Home

They have a clearance bin and some great deals. Don't hesitate to call and talk to an expert. Many times they ask specific questions that will help you get the best mask and fins for your build and style.

I recently bought my wife new gear and she is so happy with the quality.

Blub..blub

Hey, I recently bought some snorkel gear to use on our next cruise. I bought a Body Glove set that I really like. It seems to have a great fit and is very comfortable. In the past, I've always rented gear so I had no idea about needing to clean the mask first to prevent fogging.

Do I just use a little toothpaste and toothbrush and rinse. How soft should the brush be? I'm just worried about damaging the lense, but don't want to be fogged up when snorkelling. Should I carry a little cleaner with me in case it fogs up while snorkelling.

Thanks for any advice.

Hey, I recently bought some snorkel gear to use on our next cruise. I bought a Body Glove set that I really like. It seems to have a great fit and is very comfortable. In the past, I've always rented gear so I had no idea about needing to clean the mask first to prevent fogging.

Do I just use a little toothpaste and toothbrush and rinse. How soft should the brush be? I'm just worried about damaging the lense, but don't want to be fogged up when snorkelling. Should I carry a little cleaner with me in case it fogs up while snorkelling.

Thanks for any advice.

This may sound weird, but I have heard from alot of snorkelling sites that all you need to do to prevent fogging is to use saliva to wipe the inside of the lenses, then rinse with water. I have tried this with my daughters set when she practised in the bathtub, and it worked.

I was taught to spit in the mask, rub it around, then rinse with sea water. It will work.

I now carry a small spray bottle of half alcohol (isopropyl) and half no tears baby shampoo. I spray it on & then rinse. Works like a charm!

Archived