'flea market' Kuna and Embera crafts at Cristobol

carmel

I've been reading about a 'flea market' with Kuna and Embera crafts. I have some questions.

1) Is the market on the pier?

2) Is it easy to find - can someone give me directions as to where it is when you get off the ship?

3) Is it safe to walk there and shop?

Thanks!!!

1. Yes, on a covered pier, there is even a few air conditioned spots.

2. When you get to the end of the gangway.... you're there!

3. Very safe to walk and shop, lots of things to stop and look at. and of course buy!

There are TWO piers used in Colon: Colon 2000 (usually called Colon) and Cristobal (usually called Cristobal although it is in Colon). Colon 2000, I believe, I partly owned by Carnival, and was built in 2000 and the best thing it has going for it is a Super 99 grocery store. Cristobal is older, but it does have all of these wonderful Indigenous vendors who are actually in the pier, just down the gangway. I have some Indian friends who are trying to negotiate with the Colon 2000 folks to sell crafts there as well, but for the moment, I believe the only crafts are those sold in the shops.

For more info see http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2008/08/14/cruising-to-panama/ which includes a map showing which port is where. The crafts vendors are only at Cristobal when a ship is actually there, and I'm not sure if it's possible to get onto the port if you are from another ship. I will check it out next time and let you all know.

Regards, Richard

I do too. My memory says that Princess does dock in Cristobol.

Yes it does, we were there last week. Great place but we did alot of our shopping for gifts at the Embera village while we were there (you'll also find some of their goods at the pier too).

• 4 weeks later...
Yes it does, we were there last week. Great place but we did alot of our shopping for gifts at the Embera village while we were there (you'll also find some of their goods at the pier too).

How was your experience at the Embera Village? We are thinking about signing up for the tour through our Celebrity Cruise sailing next month. Is it worth going to?

Archived