Last minute tips for Paradise?

tdev32

Hi,

I'm scheduled to cruise on the Paradise in a couple days and was just looking for some last minute tips, "must-see/do's", etc. Any info would be great on where to eat, excursion ideas, things to do onboard, anything really.

Thanks!

PS: is the pizza really as good as they say it is? how about the sushi?

No tips, since this is my first cruise, but I'll be on the same cruise (departs 10/3). Looking forward to a great time! A friend who went on the Paradise in May (and is also on this cruise) said the pizza is great, and she's also partial to the 24-hour self-serve frozen yogurt & ice cream.

Hi,

I'm scheduled to cruise on the Paradise in a couple days and was just looking for some last minute tips, "must-see/do's", etc. Any info would be great on where to eat, excursion ideas, things to do onboard, anything really.

Thanks!

PS: is the pizza really as good as they say it is? how about the sushi?

Yes, the pizza is that good. Here's my review from last month and there are some pics in my signature. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=46390

Pizza is great but the calzone (made to order in about 7 minutes) is even better! Try one! Close to the pizza is the Deli open from 11-11. Try the rueben. On the sea day there will be a chocolate buffet at noon in the Lido; they don't advertise it. Also, the tea on the sea day in the US Bar is very nice & relaxing.

I would go see the Bufadora. It is a 'wonder of the world. There are only three natural blowholes in the world. You do have to run a gauntlet of vendors, but that just adds to the experience. We've booked from the ship and off the street.

We like to eat at Hacienda de Charro 454 Lopez Mateo. We split a half chicken. From the ship, it's past the Mickey D's and across the street from Hussong's (it might be Papas and Beer). The restuarant has chickens on a wood fired spit and women making tortillas right at the front window. The total for 6 of us was about $50 with tip. About a block before the restuarant there is a 'double open' storefront. The woman there sells the best popsicles.

Across the street and up Calle Gastelum is a Gigante Market. Across the street from this is the "Bakery". Take a tray and tongs and load up. Filled up 2 big bags and it was under $10.

These are the places we have eaten at. We have also eaten at the places at the Bufadora. We have this belief that they do not want to get the touristas sick. That being said, still have not gotten up the courage to eat off of the carts.

The fish market is also very interesting.

It is easy to walk to town, but bit of a walk. There is a shuttle to town and a taxi stand to take you back. about $2 pp.

Food on Board--Ceasar salad and garlic bread from the pizza guy. Sometimes there is too much cheese on the pizza for my liking. Have asked them to make a 'special' one for us.

--Leg of Lamb is served at the buffet only.

--One night at the buffet the menu was roast turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, a vegetable (cauliflower?) and navy bean soup. The food was good but a bit beige. The plates are beige, also. Very monochromatic!

Any sandwich at the deli can be made cold. There are also bagels and lox at the deli. Toast also.

The biggest hint I can tell you for the buffet is to get you room temp items first, then your hot items.

Love the 3am ice cream.

I personally will not be on this 10/3 sailing but my hubby will!!! They are doing a "guys cruise" to celebrate his finishing grad school. It was a gift from me.

You will have a fantastic time! Its a party-hardy crowd so get ready for long nights and sleeping in!

Hey Cruizin Girlz-We're from Sac as well.

And second Venture Mans info about the early check in at the Queen Mary....we were on by noon last time.

We were on the Paradise in August. We did the Taste of Mexico excursion through Carnival. It is a bus tour through the city then a cooking class at a local restaurant. Apparently stop signs and stop lights don't mean much. After the tour you land at a restaurant/bar and the chef there instructs you on making pico de gayo(beak of the chicken), quacamole, tamales. We really enjoyed it. Carnival taped this excursion so our group was on the shipTV cannel ad nausium all weekend. At breakfast the next day we were recongnized. Luckily it was in a good way

Two years ago we went to the blow hole. It was nice, but the walk through the shopping street was annoying. We did have lunch there which was great but I enjoyed the Taste of Mexico more. :)

Have a great trip.

Trudi:D

Carnival has "early check-in" from 9:00 to 11:00 at the Queen Mary. Then you wait in the "early check-in" line for boarding... makes getting on the ship easier and faster.

Thank you very much for this bit of information. I was wondering if there was some sort of early check in scheme (we're on the 10-27 cruise).

I was just on the Paradise (9/19-23) and my hint is: If Barry Miller is still the entertainer in the piano bar (America Bar) don't miss him! I've been on quite a few Carnival cruises and Barry is, in my opinion, the best piano entertainer out there. He really gets the crowd to join in. (I've been on 5 cruises where he's been the entertainer. Some of the best times I've had on all my cruises.)

Another suggestion: while in Ensenada, the winery tour is very nice. You go to two wineries. At each winery you taste about 6 different wines. They also serve bread and cheese. And at one of them you get a free bottle of wine to take home.

I personally will not be on this 10/3 sailing but my hubby will!!! They are doing a "guys cruise" to celebrate his finishing grad school. It was a gift from me.

You will have a fantastic time! Its a party-hardy crowd so get ready for long nights and sleeping in!

Hey Cruizin Girlz-We're from Sac as well.

And second Venture Mans info about the early check in at the Queen Mary....we were on by noon last time.

How cool that we're both from Sac! Gosh, I still need to finish packing but here I am at 12:30am on CruiseCritic. :p Can't wait for all the fun we'll have. And great to know about the early check in, though we'll be coming in to town at the wee hours and going to a timeshare for a few hours of sleep after our drive down...not sure if everyone would be awake in time to do the early thing, but ya never know. Hope your hubby has a great time - what a nice gift you're giving him! I am still a bit nervous about leaving town, since it'll be the longest I've ever been away from my hubby and our 3-yr-old daughter. Guess I'll be having lots of drinks!! hehe

How cool that we're both from Sac! Gosh, I still need to finish packing but here I am at 12:30am on CruiseCritic. :p Can't wait for all the fun we'll have. And great to know about the early check in, though we'll be coming in to town at the wee hours and going to a timeshare for a few hours of sleep after our drive down...not sure if everyone would be awake in time to do the early thing, but ya never know. Hope your hubby has a great time - what a nice gift you're giving him! I am still a bit nervous about leaving town, since it'll be the longest I've ever been away from my hubby and our 3-yr-old daughter. Guess I'll be having lots of drinks!! hehe

I gotta help him pack tonight! I think you will have a blast and how nice to sneak away from the hubby and kid for a few days :)

What time you all driving down there? What we have done is checked in early, got on by 11:30am, ate lunch, then by 1:30, went to the cabin and took a nap.

I was just on the Paradise (9/19-23) and my hint is: If Barry Miller is still the entertainer in the piano bar (America Bar) don't miss him! I've been on quite a few Carnival cruises and Barry is, in my opinion, the best piano entertainer out there. He really gets the crowd to join in. (I've been on 5 cruises where he's been the entertainer. Some of the best times I've had on all my cruises.).

The last time I spoke to him, which has been several months ago, his contract was ending on Oct 6th, which would make this weekend his last. That should put him in a good mood for this cruise! The America Bar is a great place to hang out.

I gotta help him pack tonight! I think you will have a blast and how nice to sneak away from the hubby and kid for a few days :)

What time you all driving down there? What we have done is checked in early, got on by 11:30am, ate lunch, then by 1:30, went to the cabin and took a nap.

We leave at around 8:30pm tonight. One person is getting a rental car, and then picking everyone up at home. I know we'll be TIRED but we're checking into a timeshare in Anaheim in the wee hours tomorrow to get some sleep and then get up & ready. That's why we probably won't be doing the early check-in at the Q.M.

Is your hubby flying down or driving? I'd probably rather fly if I was with my family -- and I hope we can cruise after I find out how fun this is. :)

Tell your husband to look for 4 women sporting matching white t-shirts that say "Cruisin' with the Girls"....we'll be the crazy ones! LOL

I'm glad to hear there's a great piano bar entertainer on board. I LOVE the piano bar!

Cruzin, I'll keep an eye out for you, too.

I wouldn't rate this as a "Don't miss" experience, but a nice experience, and that is Massage & Facial Care. http://www.ensenada.com/spa/index.html

I went last October with my brother. I had read a recommendation on one of the boards here about that place, and that it is a legitimate spa place, unlike some you hear about. My brother and I figured we'd walk over and check it out, and see what we thought. We did end up going in, and I have to tell you, it was probably the best massage I've ever had, and the prices are very reasonable - MUCH cheaper than the ship, that's for sure! My brother has been back twice since then, and had great experiences each time. It's not a fancy or elegant place, but it is clean, and like I said - great massages. I haven't done facials or body wraps with them, so I can't make a recommendation on that, but if you are looking for an inexpensive massage, check them out.

I'm glad to hear there's a great piano bar entertainer on board. I LOVE the piano bar!

Cruzin, I'll keep an eye out for you, too.

I wouldn't rate this as a "Don't miss" experience, but a nice experience, and that is Massage & Facial Care. http://www.ensenada.com/spa/index.html

I went last October with my brother. I had read a recommendation on one of the boards here about that place, and that it is a legitimate spa place, unlike some you hear about. My brother and I figured we'd walk over and check it out, and see what we thought. We did end up going in, and I have to tell you, it was probably the best massage I've ever had, and the prices are very reasonable - MUCH cheaper than the ship, that's for sure! My brother has been back twice since then, and had great experiences each time. It's not a fancy or elegant place, but it is clean, and like I said - great massages. I haven't done facials or body wraps with them, so I can't make a recommendation on that, but if you are looking for an inexpensive massage, check them out.

Wow, Ocean, that looks like a good place to go for spa services. I'll have to see what kind of time we have in Ensenada. I see you're doing this cruise for a birthday -- Happy Birthday! I think we'll be wearing the shirts at least for boarding and possibly at dinner the first night. We're loud & crazy...or at least, two of us are. :p

I can't wait to go to the piano bar. Sounds like this cruise will be great!

Cruzin - This cruise TOMORROW:D is actually my THIRD cruise on Paradise in 12 months! I went October 19 of last year with my friend Jill(who is coming with me on this cruise), my daughter and my brother - the one I mentioned I went to the spa place with.

In February DH and I were on the Paradise again for my birthday, and we left our little one at home with Grandma. That's the Birthday Cruise mentioned in my signature.

THIS cruise is for ME!!! This time both DH and DD are staying home - woo-hoo!!! It is me and my friend Jill (who is having a birthday soon - so I guess it IS a birthday cruise), her brother, and her nephew (who is turning 18 on Saturday). No husbands and no kids!

I know, my signature is confusing because I've sailed on this ship so many times recently!:D

Hopefully we'll bump into each other on board.

Oh, and earlier in the thread someone asked about the sushi. It's all cooked! No raw fish to be found. It's pretty good for what it is, but it's not traditional. And I agree - the pizza is GREAT! I particularly love the de chevre pizza. My mouth is watering already!

If you end up going to the blowhole see if you can get “Chino” as your tour guide when its time to board the bus to go there from downtown. He’s great!

I hope you have an easier embarkation and debarkation then we did. (cruzin_girlz I forgot about this in your thread.)

While we were checking in something was wrong with the card printer so the sail and sign cards weren’t ready. It affected a large number of passengers and we had to wait in line once we got on the ship to go to the pursers desk to get our cards. (I believe it took about an additional hour) So we stood in line watching others enjoy their drinks at the bar while we couldn’t do anything without the sail and sign cards. :(

I do not know what the delay was with debarkation but they called empress deck at 8am for self debarkation and didn’t call the next deck until 10am! We were finally off and through customs at 11:15 through self debarkation.

Click on this to get to a full sized printable map to the secret door...

2868301310079337728rWFZXW_th.jpg

They don't have any raw fish sushi (so no raw food danger), just cooked seafood and great freshly made vegetarian sushi...

2294587870079337728PTBypG_th.jpg

2396141190079337728CZeqxd_th.jpg

2160440490079337728XvWLXq_th.jpg

Take advantage of late night Room Service...

Click here for a menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=359674

Lots of my personal tips in my review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=626010

Enjoy!

Hey Cruizingirlz-They are flying into LAX...$100RT on Southwest!

Guess you're hitting the road in an hour!! :) I will tell DH to look out for you guys. He and his friend will be the 2 big guys camping in the cigar lounge area!

I hope you have an easier embarkation and debarkation then we did. (cruzin_girlz I forgot about this in your thread.)

While we were checking in something was wrong with the card printer so the sail and sign cards weren’t ready. It affected a large number of passengers and we had to wait in line once we got on the ship to go to the pursers desk to get our cards. (I believe it took about an additional hour) So we stood in line watching others enjoy their drinks at the bar while we couldn’t do anything without the sail and sign cards. :(

I do not know what the delay was with debarkation but they called empress deck at 8am for self debarkation and didn’t call the next deck until 10am! We were finally off and through customs at 11:15 through self debarkation.

What a pain in the you-know-what that card fiasco was! Lucky for me, I'm Platinum, so I was able to go to the Platinum line and got my card MUCH quicker. I had friends that arrived later and they had to stand in that long line at the pursers desk. Carnival should have figured out a way to fix the problem before people boarded. At the very least, they should have had waiters coming around giving free drinks to those stuck waiting in that line.

Regarding the problem at debarkation: Apparently, every 90 days the crew has to go thru immigration. That was their day! Which held up the passengers. We had friends that didn't have a flight until 4:00pm. Our plan was to stay on the ship as long as possible, (thinking 10:30 at the latest), hang out at Queen Mary for a while. But by 10:30, they hadn't even called my friends color. I did something that I usually frown upon. I pulled out the Platinum perk and told them that we were all travelling together. So at 10:30'ish we were able to bypass the long line and disembark. It still took 45 minutes or so to go thru immigration. At that point, my friends decided to catch the shuttle to the airport.

In all my cruises, this was the worst experiences in embarkation and debarkation. If this was my first cruise, I'd be very disappointed in the whole process. Luckily, I know that this is not a normal situation.

Archived