Not so "Wow" For Me :(

I found the cruise we wanted for spring break......

Stayed up late so I could call at the very beginning of the sale......

And unfortunately, the advertised price for an inside cabin was only for a guarantee and the firm price to book specific rooms was $300 more per person. That put it out of our price range for four people.

I couldn't do the guarantee because I need two cabins next to or across from each other since ds is in hs and he has to be near us.

Can someone explain to me the big push to sell guarantee rooms? Heck, I could have gotten a g-balcony cheaper than a firm inside. What gives? Is it that hard to assign a room?

I was so upset I couldn't hardly sleep. I'll keep checking prices for the cruise I want, maybe it will come down in price during the next few months. I'm sure I can get some onboard credit through a TA.

Sher

I have only been on 3 cruises so I am still a newbie but keep checking those prices, everyday if you have to. I always book a year in advance and this year, for some reason I decided to wait. I booked my Madri Gras / 60th birthday cruise for February 2009 this past week. By waiting this long, I just happen to luck out and get the cabin I wanted. And I noticed several nice cabins near me for the same price or lower.

Don't give up. People book early and then cancel throughout the year because things do happen which causes cabins to pop up at good prices.

I have to agree with you....the WOW is not so much a WOW.....especially in this economy....I expected to get little more of a break!!:(

It seems if you wait the price goes down drastically, but then you don't get the exact room you want.... I'm in the same boat as you, with 3 boys we get 2 rooms and want them very close by, like next door or across the hall!!;)

I'm just going to wait it out!!:rolleyes:

If you have one specific cruise you are looking at, why not put a deposit on the rooms you need, then keep checking the prices. If a price drop happens just call and get it adjusted. If the price stays the same or goes up before final payment is due you can always cancel and get your deposit back. This way you have the cabins you want if the prices do go down. Why keep checking prices and hoping the cabins are still there if they drop?

I might go ahead and book as someone suggested above. I could always cancel if the prices don't come down.

The problem I fell into was that an inside cabin on my choice was priced at $499 per person. I didn't realize that was only for a "g".

The actual price to book a specific room was $799.! That's quite a teaser listed on the cruise calendar.

The break in the deposit is nice and the obc is great but, The red, deal prices listed on specific cruises aren't necessarily the deal they seem.

Sher

Wasn't WOW for me either. We had a cabin on hold (no deposit) while we decided whether this is what we wanted. Thought I'd book today but travel agent said that RCCL considers a courtesy hold equivalent to a reservation and won't give me the benefits. They also won't let us cancel and rebook (for same reason).

Very much sours me on RCCL before I've even started.:mad:

If you have one specific cruise you are looking at, why not put a deposit on the rooms you need, then keep checking the prices. If a price drop happens just call and get it adjusted. If the price stays the same or goes up before final payment is due you can always cancel and get your deposit back. This way you have the cabins you want if the prices do go down. Why keep checking prices and hoping the cabins are still there if they drop?

Good advice. If I am not mistaken with the wow sale, price drops are not honored and if you wanted one you would have to rebook and thus lose your OBC, lower deposit and possibily your rooms.

As SueL mentioned really only benefit is the lower deposit.

Wasn't WOW for me either. We had a cabin on hold (no deposit) while we decided whether this is what we wanted. Thought I'd book today but travel agent said that RCCL considers a courtesy hold equivalent to a reservation and won't give me the benefits. They also won't let us cancel and rebook (for same reason).

Very much sours me on RCCL before I've even started.:mad:

That is disappointing but understand there is little flexibility with the WOW.

Infrequent cruisers read all the deals on these boards and might lose out on a cruise experience because they want the best deal...

AS one of my friend's told me when a river cruise I booked dropped 1750.pp and I was SOL, "don't be disappointed until you come back"...and guess what to this day that is the best trip I have ever had worth every penny. Not the best value, but the best experience and it even rained.

There is a thread discussing guarantee bookings. Reading through, it looks like they assign cabins together for those booking more than one cabin. If only the guarantee pricing is within your budget, it may be worth asking if they'll keep you together.

Good advice. If I am not mistaken with the wow sale, price drops are not honored and if you wanted one you would have to rebook and thus lose your OBC, lower deposit and possibily your rooms.

As SueL mentioned really only benefit is the lower deposit.

We booked during last years wow sale in October. Our cruise has had 2 price drops, both of which RCCL honored with no questions. We kept our OBC, and no fuel surcharge was added. But they may have changed the rules this time around...

The lower deposit is not wow at all for me-you still have to pay it, you just have more time...

Also, keep in mind that the OBC is UP to $200. Ours and a friend's are 6 and 7 nights...OBC=$100 per stateroom.

I'm rather confused. Are we talking about the WOW sale? That is simply a one day deal, where your deposit is cut and half and you get an OBC.

I booked two rooms today on EOS for a 5 day Bermuda. Instead of paying $400.00 as a deposit for 4 people, I paid two. I also get a $50.00 OBC for each room. I requested the exact same rooms I had this year, and got them.

Worked good for me! Last year, the price only went up, it never went down. This locks me in for the existing rate, I only tied up half the money and the OBS is a nice fringe benefit.

Oh, and they said I can use OBCs from my RCI credit card points too!

I don't want to be flamed, but I got the impression that people here thought they'd get something other than a reduced deposit or OBC. It seemed pretty straight forward to me.

Guarantee rooms are cheaper because it gives the cruiseline an opportunity to still sell specific rooms at higher prices. They can then place their guarantee customers anywhere. Sometimes if all of the standard balconies are sold the guarantee customer gets upgraded.

It only works if you can be extremely flexible. When you have minors travelling with you unfortunately the guarantee rooms are probably not an option.

I booked two separate guarantee cabins a while back and linked the reservations together. Just recently the guarantees became actual cabins and because the two reservations were linked, the cabins ended up being next door to each other. Not sure if this was by luck.

I booked the WOW in May and got a price reduction about a month ago....TA said it depends if there are "terms" with the price drop/sale on whether you lose your onboard credit or not....I have supposedly kept my onboard credit with my price drop.

I booked the Mariner for next August today, but I went through a TA and they threw in gratuities along with the OBC and reduced deposit. For DH and me, it is a pretty good deal, plus the final price wound up being less than I had expected.

Shop around because you might be able to get some extra perks!!! The reduced deposit was HUGE for me bc I'm surprising my DH with this trip next year, and it gives me extra time to save up and then pay the whole thing off in cash.... :)

I booked two separate guarantee cabins a while back and linked the reservations together. Just recently the guarantees became actual cabins and because the two reservations were linked, the cabins ended up being next door to each other. Not sure if this was by luck.

I hope we are so lucky in Feb.....we booked 4 guarantees (2 balcony and 2 inside). Hope we all end up in the same zip code......;)

Archived