Norwegian Jewel- Trip to LaGuardia airport

rdavie

We finished our repositioning cruise on 28 September 2008. The cruise was from Dover, England (departed 17 September to New York City).

We had a voucher to go from the pier to La Guardia. Leaving the ship took awhile and was fairly disorganized. Went to our bus-did not leave until 11:00 AM. Air vents in bus not working-very hot and humid. People in the bus had air reservation for early afternoon-ours were for 2:00 PM. The driver did not know WHERE THE AIRPORT WAS LOCATED. He left the bus and we think made a phone call. We seemed to go around in circles. Stopped again and asked for directions from a group of police officers. Finally got going in the right direction. Heavy traffic going to Shay Stadium, stop and go. Arrived at 2:00 PM. Driver was elderly and could not manage the bags, passengers did. Luckily our plane had a minor mechanical problem so was leaving at 2:30. We made it. Others in our bus did not. Contacted NCL and will be receiving the cost of our transfer ($60.00). Took 3 hours that should have been about 40 minutes.

NCL needs to be aware of this kind of poor service from their transportation providers.

It was just ridiculous. Have found out from Cruise Critic that a taxi would have cost about $25.00. Oh, to have known that earlier! Bob J.

We finished our repositioning cruise on 28 September 2008. The cruise was from Dover, England (departed 17 September to New York City).

We had a voucher to go from the pier to La Guardia. Leaving the ship took awhile and was fairly disorganized. Went to our bus-did not leave until 11:00 AM. Air vents in bus not working-very hot and humid. People in the bus had air reservation for early afternoon-ours were for 2:00 PM. The driver did not know WHERE THE AIRPORT WAS LOCATED. He left the bus and we think made a phone call. We seemed to go around in circles. Stopped again and asked for directions from a group of police officers. Finally got going in the right direction. Heavy traffic going to Shay Stadium, stop and go. Arrived at 2:00 PM. Driver was elderly and could not manage the bags, passengers did. Luckily our plane had a minor mechanical problem so was leaving at 2:30. We made it. Others in our bus did not. Contacted NCL and will be receiving the cost of our transfer ($60.00). Took 3 hours that should have been about 40 minutes.

NCL needs to be aware of this kind of poor service from their transportation providers.

It was just ridiculous. Have found out from Cruise Critic that a taxi would have cost about $25.00. Oh, to have known that earlier! Bob J.

I totally agree, NCL needs to work on the companies they use for transfers. We had a less than wonderful experience from Gatwick to Dover a few years ago and I won't even go into detail about our transfer service from LAX to San Pedro last September. If there was any saving grace on that one, Princess used the same company and had the same nightmare. Well, not quite what happened to us, but generally the same..

NIta

I am sorry to hear that about the bus service to LaGuardia. I was on the same cruise as you, and did not sign up for the shuttle service, because I thought it was already going to be provided to me on my transportation ticket (which turn out to be a bad assumption). We also had a 1 p.m. flight, and I thought it would cut it too close. As it turned out, the cab to the airport was very quick, and transported my wife and myself are $28 (including tip) vice $70 that it would've cost my wife and myself to ride the bus.

Although we've not used NCL shuttles, we have used other cruise line shuttles in the past...and have learned, the hard way, that generally cabs are quicker, cheaper, and more efficient! And with a little cash in hand, the cab driver is helpful with luggage. Took us one rotten shuttle experience like the OP had..and never again!

I was on the same cruise and took the train home.

However, I did use the NCL transfer from Heathrow to Dover. There was an NCL sign waiting for me the instant I walked out of baggage claim, and within an hour my luggage was stowed on the bus. I did not touch it again until it was brought to my cabin on the Jewel. The bus driver did some commentary at the beginning and end of the ride.

I think there were 50 of us on the bus, and I was aboard the ship less than 30 minutes after the bus stopped on the Dover pier. I did not hear any complaints from any of them about the transfer.

On our most recent trip which included transfers from Heathrow to London, London to Southampton and then ship to BCN everything was perfect. No problems ....excellent. My DB and SIL flew in the day of the cruise, and went from Heathrow to Southampton with absolutely no problems at all.

I hate to admit this but in my own country (LA and Miami) we encountered less than stellar service. In LA there weren't enough busses to take all of us down to San Pedro (we ended up getting a cab) andin Miami we were delayed by customs and it then became a mad house to get to the airport. The latter was not NCL's fault.

The lessons we learned from the bad experience is to always have an alternative plan...know where the port/airport is and have enough cash on hand to grab a taxi. We now try to plan for every problem we might encounter. Making lemonade out of lemons I guess.

Archived