X Ray Machine - How Invasive?

Time for another "hit". But that's alright, I don't have a problem. Just wondering, exactly how invasive are the x ray machines? For example, could they detect what is in a toiletry bag within a suitcase? Can they identify anything precious or fragile that may be wrapped in clothing in the suitcase? Is it only the checked luggage and hand luggage which is x rayed, or handbags as well? Do the the passengers walk through the scanner type thing as in airports, and if so, is it only metal they are detecting resulting in the "ping" or do they get a visual? Could they identify what a person had in a jacket or pants pocket? I'm posing these questions because as you can probably guess, I'm concerned about feeling violated and intruded upon. So I hope the good people here can let me know how much or how little, and in how many areas, I should worry. Thanks, Debbie.

Time for another "hit". But that's alright, I don't have a problem. Just wondering, exactly how invasive are the x ray machines? For example, could they detect what is in a toiletry bag within a suitcase? Can they identify anything precious or fragile that may be wrapped in clothing in the suitcase? Is it only the checked luggage and hand luggage which is x rayed, or handbags as well? Do the the passengers walk through the scanner type thing as in airports, and if so, is it only metal they are detecting resulting in the "ping" or do they get a visual? Could they identify what a person had in a jacket or pants pocket? I'm posing these questions because as you can probably guess, I'm concerned about feeling violated and intruded upon. So I hope the good people here can let me know how much or how little, and in how many areas, I should worry. Thanks, Debbie.

Hi Debbie,

I am sure it's the same as the Airport xrays, i assume as you can see on for example "Border Security" they can see the outline of anything in bags that are Xrayed. You walk thru a scanner the same as the Airports.

You are close to us, we live in Carrum Downs, at the moment.

Don

So if the regulation size bottles were in a cloth toiletry bag, packed in the suitcase, cushioned all around by clothing, could they still see the contents? I assume pockets are out of contention, then. I was reading an interesting U.S. thread discussing what they have carried aboard using different packing strategies.

Btw, I have been meaning to mention to you Don, that I was aware that we are, comparatively speaking, neighbours. It must have been an agonising choice to trade Carrum Downs for Queensland. I was once speaking to a Gold Coast lady in a call centre, and she had memories of Frankston as being the most exciting and romantic place she had ever been.

So if the regulation size bottles were in a cloth toiletry bag, packed in the suitcase, cushioned all around by clothing, could they still see the contents? I assume pockets are out of contention, then. I was reading an interesting U.S. thread discussing what they have carried aboard using different packing strategies.

Btw, I have been meaning to mention to you Don, that I was aware that we are, comparatively speaking, neighbours. It must have been an agonising choice to trade Carrum Downs for Queensland. I was once speaking to a Gold Coast lady in a call centre, and she had memories of Frankston as being the most exciting and romantic place she had ever been.

Suppose it depends on what you are trying to smuggle on board...:confused:

If you want to see any video of the Pacific Dawn, you are welcome to a copy of our video from November. Corny but interesting if you haven't been on her before.

Have never heard Frankston described like that before:D it will be hard to give all that up.

If you need any help my email is don_reid at optusnet dot com dot au

Don

Thanks Don for your kind offer of the copy of the video, but I'll say no for now. DH (who was actually the inspiration for my username -"you're obsessed with planning!!!) feels that I'm already taking all the surprise out of the trip. I have googled a lot of images, so all I've got left is the walking around bit. A lot of women say that their husbands make the same complaint. I'm starting to wonder if my DH is a multiple bigamist. They all sound too much like him. Some men don't seem to appreciate all that we women plan and research. DH seems to think we have great holidays that "just happen".

I may, however, take you up on the invitation to email you if I have any queries. Do I type Don Reid as you did? don_reid

My cruise is 2 before yours, we just miss being able to meet each other at the boat.

Thanks, Debbie aka planning obsessed

Thanks Don for your kind offer of the copy of the video, but I'll say no for now. DH (who was actually the inspiration for my username -"you're obsessed with planning!!!) feels that I'm already taking all the surprise out of the trip. I have googled a lot of images, so all I've got left is the walking around bit. A lot of women say that their husbands make the same complaint. I'm starting to wonder if my DH is a multiple bigamist. They all sound too much like him. Some men don't seem to appreciate all that we women plan and research. DH seems to think we have great holidays that "just happen".

I may, however, take you up on the invitation to email you if I have any queries. Do I type Don Reid as you did? don_reid

My cruise is 2 before yours, we just miss being able to meet each other at the boat.

Having a bit of a giggle, your DH will get used to it. Mine said exactly the same but he is now used to me.

I have Dons movie and my very favourite part is the beginning when he see's the PD for the first time and says "there she is". Love it. MY daughter said something different (not quite as polite) when she saw it, "holy Sh%t" are you sure that's a ship? And then proceeded to get excited like a little girl, it was magic as a Mum to watch your grown child react in such a way.

Debbie,

My wife says the same, before out last cruise our roll call was huge and had a ball. The video has some parts of the ship but mostly destinations.

Email address as written don_reid

All the best

Don

Did you watch Getaway last night. DH watched the whole thing, but got out of his seat and pottered around, mostly ignoring Vila. The buggies did take his interest though, one of the more expensive tours of course. Even my kids didn't want to watch Vila, because they want a surprise when they get there. DH who in the forseeble future will be H, is poisoning them.

Hi,

You sound like you would like to smuggle a bit of "soft drink" on board? Good on you if you are!

I have seen many people on here recommending 'rum runner' flasks: http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com. None of our American friends report getting caught with them, and their baggage-screening would be at least as stringent as ours is.

Cheers! :rolleyes:

On x-ray of checked-in luggage - I presume this is x-rayed the same as at airports. I was surprised that one of our group was called to security because he had a pair of scissors in his case. He couldn't get his cruise card until this matter was sorted out. Because he has limited mobility I went with the staff member to unlock the case. A pair of nail scissors was packed in a toiletries bag in the middle of his case. The scissors were OKd because they were very small (4" long), but other people had scissors confiscated.

X-ray of hand luggage is exactly the same as at airports, and you walk through an electronic doorway that will 'ping' if you have coins in your pocket or a large metal belt buckle - same as at airports.:):)

sorry a bit off track....but I'm curious....will mums new metal knee "ping"

Probably, my mums two hips pinged everywhere we went on our overseas trip a few years ago.....all the security ppl looked and said" knees" nope hips was mums reply.:D We got to the stage of telling them even before we went through.

Lynda

she's getting there but still in rehab, walking with one crutch now but unable to bend leg to the required 90 degrees to be allowed home. She got to 78 degrees yesterday.......but crying poor thing

this cruise has beena good motivater for her

she's getting there but still in rehab, walking with one crutch now but unable to bend leg to the required 90 degrees to be allowed home. She got to 78 degrees yesterday.......but crying poor thing

this cruise has beena good motivater for her

I think we are all cheering her on.:D:D I can't imagine how painful it is for her, but she has a cruise to look forward to. :):)

Evon.

Don

Would you mind very much sharing your video with me? I would love to see it..

Im a bit like every other new cruiser .. I cant get enough of anything to do with cruising..

My email address is

leashyloo69 at hotmail dot com

A pair of nail scissors was packed in a toiletries bag in the middle of his case. The scissors were OKd because they were very small (4" long), but other people had scissors confiscated.

Definitely not allowed in carry on luggage on flights - I've always had manicure/sewing scissors in checked luggage on flights and cruises...never a problem :confused:

B E V

Definitely not allowed in carry on luggage on flights - I've always had manicure/sewing scissors in checked luggage on flights and cruises...never a problem :confused:

B E V

Hi Bev,

Of course a person cannot carry scissors in carry on luggage on a flight. In my post I specifically said "checked-in" luggage. The thread (and my post) were referring to the x-ray procedures at check in to the ship - nothing to do with flights.:confused: We were boarding the Pacific Sun in Brisbane and we live in Brisbane - no flights involved. I made the comment that I was surprised that the scissors were queried and that other people (with larger scissors) had theirs confiscated.

Evon.

Don

Would you mind very much sharing your video with me? I would love to see it..

Im a bit like every other new cruiser .. I cant get enough of anything to do with cruising..

My email address is

leashyloo69 at hotmail dot com

Hi Leashy,

Sent you an email today.

You are doing virtually the same cruise as ours in last November except for one port, we did Yasawa-I-Ra-Ra, and you are doing Savusavu.

Click on the shortcut above (Yasawa-I-Ra-Ra) to see the report and pictures from our cruise. You will have a ball I'm sure.:D :D

All the best

Don

(The soon to be Queenslander (mexican))

I have cruised and flown all over the world for many many years for both work and pleasure and welcome any and all types of security and scanning and yes that includes the new body scanners which are a brilliant idea..The regulations and scans aren't in place to invade your personal space......there, there to keep us all as safe as possible...."violated and intruded upon" if thats how you feel maybe you should think twice about travelling... if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.........shiona

ps: YOU CAN ALL START THROWING STUFF AT ME NOW......

Hi Leashy,

Sent you an email today.

You are doing virtually the same cruise as ours in last November except for one port, we did Yasawa-I-Ra-Ra, and you are doing Savusavu.

Click on the shortcut above (Yasawa-I-Ra-Ra) to see the report and pictures from our cruise. You will have a ball I'm sure.:D :D

All the best

Don

(The soon to be Queenslander (mexican))

Hi don got your email..just replied to it.. Checking your piccies out now ..

BTW Welcome to sunny Queensland!

I have cruised and flown all over the world for many many years for both work and pleasure and welcome any and all types of security and scanning and yes that includes the new body scanners which are a brilliant idea..The regulations and scans aren't in place to invade your personal space......there, there to keep us all as safe as possible...."violated and intruded upon" if thats how you feel maybe you should think twice about travelling... if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.........shiona

ps: YOU CAN ALL START THROWING STUFF AT ME NOW......

Hi Shiona,

Not throwing any tomatoes, but noticed a curly one last year.

A US CCer posted an issue with invasion of personal space. Mind you, the incident occurred in South America.

As the result of an underwire bra going beep, she was given a bit of a groping. She was advising female travellers to have plastic underwires or go through these areas braless.

Lot looking to start a trend here - I am sure Aussie customs officials play by the rules and there are none of these problems here.

Hi Shiona,

Not throwing any tomatoes, but noticed a curly one last year.

A US CCer posted an issue with invasion of personal space. Mind you, the incident occurred in South America.

As the result of an underwire bra going beep, she was given a bit of a groping. She was advising female travellers to have plastic underwires or go through these areas braless.

Lot looking to start a trend here - I am sure Aussie customs officials play by the rules and there are none of these problems here.

Hey Geoff

I got the pat down in Athens airport and yep it was bra underwire that set the alarms off.... a female officer was sent to do pat down and she felt the wire at the side of my body...at no time did hands wander:eek::p... and i didn't feel my space had been invaded :rolleyes:.. it's all in a day for a traveller.... The new full bodyscreens would eliminate this problem no doubt.... not sure when South America will get them though...:confused::D cheers shiona

Meant to add i have one of those pick me faces when going through customs.......:D not once have we been through without some sort of search.......last time in the USA full luggage search.....oh well.....thats life

Archived