Paradise Beach Snorkeling

houchin

I'm leaving tomorrow for Cozumel and also need to know if snorkeling is better at PB than at Chankanaab. It is a real toss up for me, but DH really wants to snorkel and needs the best place to see neat things. I've been to Chankanaab many years ago and it is nice, but a little rocky for me as a true beginning snorkeler and I don't really like the admittance fee. As long as there are pretty fish and things like that to see at PB I'd rather go there since it should be less crowded and have more things to do and see and certainly sounds great. Any info would be appreciated.

I was there in June and if you enjoy a nice, easy, average snorkel, then you'll be o.k. at P.B. Go out past the iceberg and you'll start to see stuff. There is also some coral heads which are marked off and there is some nice stuff to see there. It's not teeming with life because there are no rocks or coral reefs, but we saw lots of different types of fish, anemones, etc. Not a big volume, but a nice variety. It was a nice leisurely snorkel. Also, the water was very calm when we were there and not too deep.

Enjoy!

Typically, snorkeling is not as good at soft, sandy beaches (like Paradise and Nachi Cocom) as it is at beaches with rocky shores.

You may want to consider doing your snorkeling at a place like Dzul Ha, maybe grab a little snack and relax over at PalMar Beach Estate between snorkel outtings. And then go to Paradise Beach for relaxation and cocktails on their sandy beach.

Yes, the snorkeling at PB would be good for a beginner. There is the added advantage of having the area "roped" off so to speak. No fear of being run over by a boat. Sounds so good that I think I will take my snorkel gear when I go out to PB today! Thanks for the idea! Now, to see if Sally wants to join me out there.......

Hey island annie - I decided to try to snorkel for the first time while I was at Paradise beach since there was no charge. Forget the flippers, just use the mask and snorkel. Grab a mat and lay across it with your face in the water. I saw lots of fish and it was a relaxing snorkeling experience!!!! The real snorkelers out there are probably rolling their eyes right about now but it was great for me!

Archived